How do I upgrade my factory system w/o losing rear and cd changer controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I upgrade my factory system w/o losing rear and cd changer controls

Hey audiophiles-
I am wanting to upgrade my audio system (tape deck w/changer controls) in my '99 Expedition (I do not have the Mach system), but I am not willing to lose the rear seat controls, and I also do not want to scrap my factory CD changer. I thought it would be easy enough to drop a Mach head unit in the dash, but I am afraid that I will not have any bass without the Mach subwoofer. I have been told by Crutchfield that my wiring harness does not have the proper wiring to hook up the Mach sub, so I need to replace the entire system with aftermarket stuff. OUCH!!!!

I have looked into the Visteon MP3 players, but if I understand correctly, this is basically an exact copy of my current radio - except that it has the MP3 drive instead of a tape deck. I assume that this means there is no more power and equal sound quality. Am I just out of luck, or is there a painless way to replace the standard radio system with a Mach system? Also, I have read some threads that seem to suggest that the Ford speakers are the weak link in the system, and replacing these will help a great deal.

The bottom line is that I would like to get better sound quality out of my truck stereo while still using a factory head unit. What is the best way to proceed?? Please help!!

P.S. to Tim A if you are out there - If I do replace the speakers and want to add a subwoofer, how do I hook it up to the factory system without the "differential/single ended" problems rearing their ugly head?? Also, does visteon plan on offering a high performance HU that will plug right into the factory slot??

Old 09-05-2001, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the premium sound in my '98 Expy. I replaced all four speakers with JBL's. Then I installed a Soundstream 4-channel amp(by- passing the factory amp...this is not the the Mach system) and for bass, I added an EL10HP amplified Bazooka for the bass. All the back seat controls still work because I left the stock head unit.

It sounds very clean and has plenty of punch. Very tight. If the amp seems a bit much( mine is 25 x 4 and trust me, as a family guy, that's all you need) you could just have the sub installed. I think it would sound fantastic with your visteon set up.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How do I upgrade my factory system w/o losing rear and cd changer controls