Whacha thinks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Whacha thinks?

My first time to post! YEAH!
I am the pround owner of a 2001 F150 Supercab. (not Supercrew)
Well... My system started bout 2 months ago. It started like this....

I bought 4 new cerwin vega 5x7 speakers.
little bit better sound quality over stock

Then about 2 weeks later...

I put an old Aiwa h/u in
What a difference between factory! I would highly recommend exchanging factory head unit anyday.

Then next weekend...

In Went the subs! i used two 6 year old jl 10w0s in a custom made box (By me of course) The box fits perfectly under the rear seat! Comparable to the mtx thunderforms.
Even though the subs are old.. makes any system sound 100% better and powerful. I used a Jensen 300 watt peak amp to power these subs. only problem here is that i bridged the amp to 2 ohms... and if i turned up the bass... the amp would shut down?

Conclusion... my system sounds a hole lot better than stock! But....

Now Im determend to make this system better!

I did some searching around and found a better amp for a good price. I got a New Jensen KA5 for only 200 bucks!
Now for all you people out there that think that jensen sucks... Your right! But this amp is the exception! Its a big A$$ sucker!
It is a 5 channel amp here are the specs.
50 watts rms x4 at 4 ohms
100 watts rms x4 at 2 ohms!
plus the sub channel...
200 watts rms at 4 ohms
and 250 watts rms at 2 ohms
and 300 watts rms stable at 1 ohms!!!!
Let me remind you all that the peak power and the rms are 2 different things..... rms is what counts and this puppy packs some punch!
Some good prices here... www.thezeb.com

I bought 60 feet of 14 gauge lightning audio wire and rewired my entire system! Whew... what a job....but i wanted to make sure i had good wire to handle the current. i also bought 12 gauge wire to run to the sub. I used a rockford fosgate 4 gauge amp kit to get power to the amp.

Well i turned my volume all the way down and turned on the system! I followed the instructions on setting the amp to match your head unit. Boy Was i supprised! i could turn up the volume so loud it was hurting my ears bad!!! and no distorsion in the sound either! boy was i happy!

Thats about were im at right now!!
Im still wanting more though....
the cerwin vega 5x7 speakers dont have quite enought mids to them so i am going to replace them.... any suggestions?
Can i use 6x9s instead.. or should i go for a componet system?
also the head units buttons are starting to break.. no rewind or backtrack button
Any suggestions on a cd deck that plays mp3s too?
And lastly i would like to replace the subs...
I want some more jl subs cause i heard there the best!
what to you think??? maybe some w3s?
I kinda wanna stay away from the w6s.. due to wierd ohms
(dual 3ohm voice coils.. funky huh!)
Well... thats it! does anyone else have a system similer?
Be cool!
Bigguy75inches

Old 08-25-2001, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking about getting that Jensen amp for my 98 Supercab. Could you post some pics with it mounted, so I could get some ideas? My system is stock right now, except for Infinity 5x7's in the front doors (they sound good).

Thanks & good luck!

Old 08-27-2001, 09:20 PM
Amp

So far... ive just shoved the amp under the passenger seat.
At the moment i havnt considered putting it anywhere else.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-30-2001, 03:36 AM
bigguy75inches
I would agree that while most people think Jensen amps suck, they are actaully pretty good. About 3 yrs ago I had a Chovey S10 regular cab with a system and my main amp was a 600watt Jensen. It powered 2 Orion 12's and 4 Jensen 6x9's (their speakers are not too bad either). I used that amp everyday for about 2 yrs and never had a problem out it. It never overheated, never cut out, delivered nice clean distorsoin free power. IMO they are good amps, heck I had a friend that was diehard Phoenix Gold but was totally surpised at my "cheapie" amp.

Old 09-12-2001, 01:07 PM
As far as the head unit goes I would go with Eclipse. I've had alot of head units in my vehicals and nothing comes close to the Eclipse. And no there not associated with Mitsubishi. I've had evrything from Pioneer to Kenwood & Alpine and the Eclipse plows them away. For your speakers...if you like the JL's, everyone raves about the w6 even thou you dont want that. I've never had JL's so I wont be much help there. But I do now that MTX, Fosgate and Image Dynamics are damn good speakers. I've heard all there 10's and they sound just as good as most Kicker Comp. 12's that I have had. Granted I was not running a whole lot of power to the 12's either. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2001, 12:27 AM
i remeber back when i lived in granbury all the poor hicks and wanna be's went to wal-mart and bought the full system for their cars and trucks. also the pawn shops with the cheaper crap sold lots too. they always thought it was so damn loud. i used to make money by bettin people that my MTX 75x2 with 2 MTX 6000 12's would make their system wimper and make them jump out of the car. gosh i loved those guys. never under estimate the power of MTX. i can't wait to go back and show off what i have now and see the look on their faces. damn nice set up goin on now.

Old 09-13-2001, 05:54 PM
i remeber back when i used to make money by bettin people that my Illusion Audio ND12, ESX1752, Aura MR2150, and Orion HCCA 6s would make their MTX 75x2 with 2 MTX 6000 12's sound like the stock system. gosh i loved those guys. never under estimate the power of audiophile gear mixed with a technical junky who runs a caraudio business on the side. i can't wait to go back and show off what i have now and see the look on their faces. damn nice set up goin on now.

Old 09-14-2001, 12:31 PM
i have never heard a 148db stock system....damn someone should let ford know whats up

Quick Reply: Whacha thinks?