Finally a custom stereo worthy of a custom truck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally a custom stereo worthy of a custom truck.

Well I finally broke down and tossed the stock head unit in the Lightning, lord did it suck and I am by no means an audiophile. Earlier I had replaced the stock speakers with Pioneer 6x8 2 ways all around and was still not happy with the sound and or radio reception. Well I broke down and bought a new head unit. I figured I would go the MP3 route since I would be losing the disc changer and I like being able to have 10 or so albums of CD quality music on one disc, for me this is even better than a changer because everything is in dash and I can switch between albums much faster.

What I bought was a Rockford Fosgate RX9000 MP3/Cd source unit. I got this mostly because of the FM sensitivity, the MP3 capabilities, the power it puts out 25 watts RMS x4 and not the least of which I really like the way it looks. I have to have a dial for volume. Well I got the unit for 269.00 and just got around to doing an initial install before I get my Scosche kit. I just wanted to see how it sounded.

The difference is absolutely phenomonal. My pioneer speakers are now really doing what I new they could. Great mid and bass response crisp highs and loud as hell. I have tried at least 4 MP3 CDs, a couple standard home made CDs and various retail CDs and all have worked like a charm.

I just thought I would let any potential buyers know about my stereo upgrade experiance. If anybody wants any pictures or help with an install I would be happy to help.

For everybody out there who simply wants a better sounding stock system but does not want to get pulled into the uber system with amps, crossovers, kitchen sink, enough dbs to kill a large male etc. then I cannot recommend the Pioneers and a powerful head unit enough. The system really sounds great and probably only cost me about 400.00 total. That includes the MP3/CD head unit, 4 Pioneer 2 way 6x8s, some dynamat and a Scosche adapter kit. I did all the work myself so that saved about 300 bucks around here.

If you want to see a couple picks I have them posted in my gallery.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...ew.cfm?num=189

Quick Reply: Finally a custom stereo worthy of a custom truck.