Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Steering Wheel Audio Controls

2009 F150 XLT....I've just had an issue pop up that hopefully you all can help me out with. The steering wheel controls starting acting up. Here are the symptoms:

Push the volume up button and the radio changes to the next preset channel.

Push the volume down button and the volume turns up.

All of the other buttons appear to work correctly.
I was told by the dealer that the switch/button was bad. Replaced it with a new one and same problem. Truck is now out of warranty so letting the dealer play with it is not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
If it's similar to the 04-08s (What I have) I ran into issues with my aftermarket unit. It ended up being my battery. The way the switch works as I understand it is it measures resistance on one wire for the radio. When I had my old battery it would sometimes work and other times not. Would depend on my headlights among other things. Not saying that's your issue but just an understanding of how it works.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:10 AM
2004 - 2008 Steering Wheel Volum Control Ford F-150

Originally Posted by novsun88
If it's similar to the 04-08s (What I have) I ran into issues with my aftermarket unit. It ended up being my battery. The way the switch works as I understand it is it measures resistance on one wire for the radio. When I had my old battery it would sometimes work and other times not. Would depend on my headlights among other things. Not saying that's your issue but just an understanding of how it works.
I have a 2004 and it doing the same thing. It is random and I cannot determine why and when. Curious to hear more about the resistance. Would replacing the battery (mine might be a few years old) help resolve? I also have access to OBDII with ScanXL.

I am a rookie do-it-yourselfer...I did however just solve my AC problem with replacing control unit and blend door acutator. Saved $1500 from deal quote...so I am excited to fix these controls.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
So a bit more background on them. Well what I learned and have done to deal with it. Mine is like I said aftermarket. It's a PAC controller. I had isssues where I would program the PAC unit in my driveway. Truck off. lights off. It would work great. I would get in the next morning to go to work. Lights are on. NOW the PAC won't respond. So when I get to work i'd shut the truck off and reprogram the thing. You can imagine this went by a few times before I called PAC. They said some ford/lincoln/mercury vehicles with these switches are having issues. The reason is the Illumination wire is some how tied into the resistance... His solution was to go under the steering wheel and either wire the illumination wire always on or always off... I have an edge unit and my voltage stays consistent- however I dont think it would measure that minute drop of voltage. The way I learned to live with it is program my buttons with the interior dash light dimmer about half way dim with my lights on. You can try a new battery- that's an expensive fix. Maybe get it load tested.. Is your unit aftermarket or factory?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is a factor unit. I also found last night that unplugging both cables from the battery, and letting it sit for about 30 minutes would reset the entire truck. I might go that route first to see if it helps.

I will post back and let you know what I find out.

I am not very good at wiring and would have no idea what to look for on the illumination wire.

If I figure this out, I will post. Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Found this: MasterTech509 :
Welcome to justanswer.

MasterTech509 :
Is your truck still under warranty?

MasterTech509 :
If it is I would contact the a dealership because you might have a problem with the buttons on the steering wheel or a bad signal or bad radio.

MasterTech509 :
If not let me know and i will try to help you.

If you found this useful please take a moment to press the ACCEPT button to compensate me for my time.

Thank you.

Customer :
You must be kidding.

MasterTech509 :
No this is a resistor style switch and it puts out different resistances for every button you push. If the switch isn't putting out the right resistance or the stereo is picking it up right it will cause all kinds of weird problems.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Found this also:

I would try just resetting the whole truck? It may or may not work, but IOM it's always worth a shot. No cost involved.

By that I mean disconnect the battery and let it sit for a half hour or so. Or just take the positive wire and touch the negative terminal on the battery (2 min rush job). That will reset the PCM, ECU, everything. Will it work? IDK, but it beats taking it to the dealer.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Angry

Disconnected all power...waited over an hour....reconnected power....same problem..if not worse!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes... I imagined it wouldn't change... Theres only a couple parts to this- either your battery is starting to go or your switches which are resistance measured are going bad? If that's possible...

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the battery. Mine has always had this problem intermittently since I got the truck 2 years ago, maybe happening once every couple of times I drive somewhere. About a year ago I had to replace the battery because it went bad, and the problem still happens. Its hasn't gotten any better or any worse, its about the same. Whenever it does occur, I just use the volume on the radio itself for a few minutes.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Fixed

The buttons went bad. Part #: AL3Z14A626AA - It is called an: ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY

This part worked for my F150 2004 Lariat. I had it installed today for $50.

The install looked simple. Remove Airbag. Remove Steering Wheel. Replace Buttons.

I did not have a tool to remove steering wheel and was a little iffy messing with the airbag. The $50 seemed cheap to be safe.

I tried and searched everything before replacing. Just so you know, the buttons do go bad!

Don't waste time if they are acting up and just replace.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by twokeys
The buttons went bad. Part #: AL3Z14A626AA - It is called an: ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY

This part worked for my F150 2004 Lariat. I had it installed today for $50.

The install looked simple. Remove Airbag. Remove Steering Wheel. Replace Buttons.

I did not have a tool to remove steering wheel and was a little iffy messing with the airbag. The $50 seemed cheap to be safe.

I tried and searched everything before replacing. Just so you know, the buttons do go bad!

Don't waste time if they are acting up and just replace.
FWIW, if you google the p/n above and look at google images, this is the p/n for the keyless entry door actuator and I find it a lil hard to believe that a ford dealer took off your steering wheel, airbag, and installed this switch for $50, that is less than 1 hours labor at most dealerships??? Are you looking at the correct bill? IMHO. I also checked on ebay and it show a parts detail for a door handle switch too...double check before you order!

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 08-21-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 PM
buttons on steering wheel messed up

I have a 2013 and have the same problems with the volume button changing the preset channels on my radio. My new problem is that my Cruise control button quick working too. It comes and goes, and is still under factory warranty. Taking it to the dealership today to see what they say. I was told when I made the appointment that I better hope it acts up or they won't be able to do anything for me.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm having the same problem and the dealership says that they can't replicate it

Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I have a 2010 and it has been doing it since I bought it. I finally got it to do it at the dealer. Mine only acts up when it is in drive. Put it in park and issue goes away. Anyone figure it out yet?
I'm not exactly sure how the shifter and radio push buttons are tied together. I know the buttons work off resistance and than go thru the clock spring to a wire harness, but not sure what is between clock spring and radio.

It's exact same pushbuttons and radio settup as Capbyrd's.

Last edited by Hamhock; 08-18-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Audio Controls