ideas, thoughts about amp/sub setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ideas, thoughts about amp/sub setup

Hi all,

I own a 2001 SuperCrew and I'm wanting to upgrade my stereo system. I've never done an upgrade involving more than replacing the factory speakers or just replacing the HU.

What I'm wanting to do is develop a system that has full, rich, deep sound, but I don't care if the car next to me hears it, A while back I upgraded the factories to Boston Acoustic 6x8's all around.

I want to retain the OEM look and space of my cab and hopefully install any amp and subs on the vertical wall behind my rear seat. I guess the amp/subs would have to be rather slimline to do so.

If anyone cares to offer insight as to how to go about prepping the rear wall, companies that do such work, and of course equipment (subs/amps) I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to forward any info to braboin@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

Drive on.

Last edited by braboin; 07-28-2001 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2001, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunt through the audio sections of this message board..

I have heard that the SuperCrews are a little rough to get good subs placed in them. If you have front bucket seats, JLAudio (www.jlaudio.com) makes a sub that will fit in your console (at the expense of the factory CD-Changer, which can be relocated under the rear set). Its a single 10" setup which also needs an amp (also can be placed under the other rear seating position). Makes wiring fun, but, it works. Will this give loud bass? Not extremely. It gives a nice, rich, deep bass according to an audio guy I met not to long ago that told me about it.

I haven't gone that route for a few reasons. 1) JLAudio isn't cheap. 2) I haven't had the money anyway 3) if I did do a sub setup, it would probably be the MTX thunderform amplified dual 8" setup that fits under the back seat of my extended cab. More speaker surface area and I want to put a CD-changer in my center console.

I have heard that a few have attempted to put other setups in their SCrews. This includes raising the rear seats and shoving boxes under them, re-doing the speaker holes in the back doors and squeezing shallow 8"s in there, and other stranger setups.

I think Clarion makes a Sub setup that masquerades as a second console in front of the center console/bench in the front leg-space area under the climate control on the Tranny hump. It supposedly has a built in amp, but, supposedly is a bit weak for those looking for good strong volume.

If you are afraid of the gap that might exist in your music from the single 10" to the 6X8s in the door, my co-worker actually manipulated the mounting plates in his extended cab and used Boston Acoustics 6X9s in his 99 extended cab F-150. I heard it once and the 6X9s produced a decent amount of bass without the sub box even connected. There was an issue with speaker protrusion, but, with proper speaker choice, or machine work, this becomes a non-issue. The 6X9s will become the workhourses and the 10" should provide a nice deep boom to do the grunt work down low.

Just a few thoughts to throw out, its your stereo, this is just some of what's out there.

Quick Reply: ideas, thoughts about amp/sub setup