Info on 2000 Expedition and its "Premium" Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Info on 2000 Expedition and its "Premium" Sound System

Guys and Gals-
I've got a 2000 Expedition 5.4L XLT with the "premium" sound system("premium" is stamped on the speaker grills" with cassette deck and 6CD changer in the center console. I'm looking to upgrade the sound, going slowly a litttle at a time. I've searched the forums and can't locate some details before I proceed. My questions are:

1) Is the "Premium" and the "Mach" system the same thing? If not, what are the differences?
2) What size are my front and rear speakers?
3) Any known gotchas with DIY on the speaker installation? (I already have the thread on the speaker installation, complete with pics).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:47 AM
Unhappy Any help?

I see lots of folks looking but no replies. Well, I answered Question #2, 6x8 speakers in front and back. I also spoke with Crutchfield about an aftermarket HU. They stated they do not carry a unit that is compatible with my 6CD changer in the center console. Dam*!

Any help with the details on Ford's "Premium" sound system in my Expy?

It looks like I'm going to buy speakers that can be adequately driven by the factory HU for a while...

Old 07-16-2001, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach System Here

I just purchased a new Mercury Mountaineer with the Mach Stereo system.

According to the specs, it has 460 watts of Peak Power and has large subwoofer in the very far rear passenger side panel (by the tailgate) and 8 speakers. Don't know what type of speakers it uses, though.

Old 07-18-2001, 11:03 AM
Post system upgrades

What I would recommend is that you do component upgrades, starting with the speakers, then the head unit, and finally amps and subs at the same time. The route I'm going is similar- Alpine CDA-7875 head unit and Polk-Momo MM455 5.25" component in the front. This will be the first stage, whereas stage 2 will consist of an MTX 6100D (sub amp), and an MTX Thunder 6304 (to push the component), plus the second Polk-Momo MM455 5.25" component set for the rear. Stage 3 will include a dual-downfiring 10" sealed enclosure, 2 Polk-Momo MM100 10" subs, and a 2" seat lift so that I can mount the amps to the enclosure. The nice thing about the polk components are that they can be driven with as low as 50 watts, and they're tunable with their own passive crossovers. I will begin stage 1 this weekend, and you can bet that I'll have my digital camera on-hand.
T

Old 07-18-2001, 11:13 AM
The mach is not the same as the premium.The mach has an external ampifier and a subwoofer in the right rear of the expy where your storage comp next to jack in the door thing.the premium is the basic system.
Which
the speakers are just run off the head unit which is not alot of power
probably 20w a channel?Also the premium is 4 6x8 in the doors.I think
mtx makes a box to fit in the stoage comp,like the mach with a 10 inch woofer and built in amp.That and changing the four door speakers
with a 2 or 3 way speaker will be a big inprovement and probably cost less than 600 if u do the install urself.

hope this helps

Old 07-18-2001, 05:10 PM
Thumbs up Thanks, trashguy.

That's a big help. My biggest concern was about the external amp. And yes, MTX make one to go into the storage area in the right rear. Does the OEM HU have a input for the sub? I plan to change out the OEM speakers with Polk's; either the EX572A or the DX7 (both are 6x8).

Old 07-18-2001, 07:41 PM
I am in the process of changing everything except the head unit. I have a relative who works for Ford, and I have tech drawings, schematics, and some installation/removal procedures for most of the factory sound components.

Mine is 2000 Expedition EB with Mach system.

I can share the documents with you if you'd like.

From looking at all the documents, here's what I know so far:

There is only one external amp, and that powers the sub. It is mounted to the sub enclosure in the back. The front speakers are a modified plate component system that has what appears to be a 4" mid and 1" tweeter housed in a 6 x 8 box. Front speakers run directly from head unit. Rear speakers run through the rear console controls from the HU to the speakers.

Current plans:

1. Replacing sub with MTX Thunderform.
2. Replace front speakers with Boston RC820 components (already done)
3. Add amplifier for fronts and sub (going with Hifonics Zeus Z440)
4. Add EQ for sound adjustment (either Audiocontrol 3.1, 4.1, ??)
5. Sound dampen front doors.

This is an ongoing weekend project. I travel cross-country alot, so can only fit in when I've got a couple of days to work on it. Plus I'm in AZ, which makes it tough to get anything done in the garage during the summer!

I can share any info you'd like about experience so far. Just contact me if you want more info.

I'm still trying to keep the HU, as 1) I don't want to replace cd-changer currently. HU + cd = $500. 2) have not found a head unit that is aesthetically pleasing. I want complete stealth install, no graphics, lights, etc. Cleanest units I've found are Nakamichi, and a bit too pricey, and mixed reviews. Maybe next year.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2001, 08:01 PM
More Expy info:

I reread your first post, and thought I'd provide more info:

I believe the only difference between the premium and mach is the addition of the subwoofer. According the radio connector diagram I have, there are three connectors on the radio (I'm sure it's the same radio). One of these is an 8-pin connector, of which four wires are used. They are labeled:

Subwoofer High Audio (+)
Subwoofer High Audio (-)
Audio Shield
Subwoofer High Audio Mute

I will be installing the amp and sub this weekend, if I make it home (currently in ATL). Also ordered a differential LOC to go from HU to amp. Will post with results. The Boston RC820's I installed dramatically changed the sound - but definitely need more power, and they are rated 20 - 280 or something like that. Also need equalization to adjust the soundstage. Once you get started, it's hard to stop...

Old 07-19-2001, 09:42 AM
Smile Great info

Metaldog-
I emailed you requesting the info. Thanks a bunch.

It sounds like you are putting in a very nice setup. Where are you going to hide the amps for the front and sbs? While planning my new setup, I'm having a hard time determining the amp(s) location. I'm trying not to occupy too much of the cargo area, and need to worry about the heat.

Old 07-19-2001, 06:39 PM
Info is sent. I'm going to see about mounting the amp under the front passenger seat. I know there is a AC/Heat vent there, but since I live in AZ, all I use is AC. I'm going to mount the amp to 1/2" MDF, then mount the MDF on top of the vent, using nylon standoffs cut to length to space it/support it. At least that's the plan. Currently I'm only going with the single four channel amp, with two channels bridged to feed the sub. I'm not concerned about the rear speakers right now - just going to leave them alone (I predominantly listen to the radio in "Driver Seat" mode anyway).

If I can't fit the Amp under the front seat, I've thought about fashioning an amp rack that could be attached to the rear panel where the sub is. Don't want to do that, but might have to come up with another option. I'll know more when I actually start taking the seat and console out this weekend. I'll mount the EQ in the console using a bracket and maybe a custom ABS enclosure next to the CD changer.

I've read and read re: using LOC with factory HU - I'm going to try the Peripheral Vendetta VENREM 2.5 and see how I make out. I'm going to wire it such that if I decide I have to go with new HU (and CD changer) that the swap won't involve removing anything except the existing HU and changer.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM
I got a 2001 expedition. I was telling my friend who install stereo for a living that I don't think that an amp in install on the front and rear speaker. He was swearing that they do. I used to install stereo's in the 90's but back issues have limited me to doing family and friend's stereos

I would like the document info if you don't mind Metaldog. I just built a box for 4 8's facing downward because I want to keep 3rd road seat and make it look like that there isn't a system installed. I have a phoenix gold 400.2 running the 8's with a 30 farad cap. I want to put that phoenix gold on my front and rear and get a audiopipe 1000 or 1500 watt amp as it was small enough to fit. my PPI and MB quart amps from my blazer are too big to put back there.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
good luck getting a hold of metaldog, this thread is 11 years old

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 AM
posted something but then realized how old this was...lol

Last edited by KCAutosound; 08-17-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Info on 2000 Expedition and its "Premium" Sound System