ham radio operators

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
gcw
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ham radio operators

i know at least a couple people on here are. i have some questions on my connex 3300. i was wondering if someone could answer

1) how do u cross referance the freqs with the **** settings?

2) what is the power output for hi/lo. it doesn't have any kits so it should b stock.

3)should i ground the radio to get rid of some of the alt whining?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Ok, call me stupid. Ham radios. Those are different from your standard FM/AM/LSB CB's? Or is it similar.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I'll bite.
First off you should ground the radio anyway but to help with the alt. noise you will need a good filter.

If you cannot find any info online for the radio just put a power meter between the radio and the antenna, this should tell you exactly what its outputting to the antenna.

The freq settings are going to need a frequency counter installed between the radio and the antenna so that when you key the radio the actual freq is displayed and then you can reference the dial position.

Hespen537, Ham is a step up from CB radio. Same basic idea just a whole lot more you can do both in radio's and high power amps.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok, I know exactly what your talking about.
I guess a way to stop the alt noise, would be to ground it to something but your battery. To the frame or something similar.

A frequency display would be beneficial. If your radio doesnt already have one on it. You can cross reference with other radios, as long as their working on the same bands.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Weird, I replied to this thread this morning but my reply is gone. Anyhow...my suggestion on the alt noise is to run both your power and ground straight to the battery. I would say minimum 12ga, fused of course.

I am curious what you are doing with this rig. This is one of those 10 meter "import" radios, correct? Are you planning to open it up to the 11 meter CB band?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
DrkHrse,
I was thinking the same thing on the import rig. I like your suggestion on running power directly from the battery to, this should help to reduce the amount of electrical interferance the radio picks up.

If this is truely an import radio it may display the actual freq. as it is not a true 11 meter or CB radio for you non-ham guys. If that is the case then there is no guess work in knowing what freq. you are on the only thing you need to figure out is what does that freq. mean as far as a CB channel number. I haven't looked in a while but I think you can get the conversion charts online for the CB radio freq's.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by LegIron
DrkHrse,
I was thinking the same thing on the import rig. I like your suggestion on running power directly from the battery to, this should help to reduce the amount of electrical interferance the radio picks up.

If this is truely an import radio it may display the actual freq. as it is not a true 11 meter or CB radio for you non-ham guys. If that is the case then there is no guess work in knowing what freq. you are on the only thing you need to figure out is what does that freq. mean as far as a CB channel number. I haven't looked in a while but I think you can get the conversion charts online for the CB radio freq's.
I did a little research on that particular radio and it is definitely one of the "import" radios. I would assume that there is no real frequency cross reference because I can't imagine anybody really ever intended it to be used on 10 meters. They make those things very easy to mod quite intentionally and actually I think its really the opposite. They are made as a high power 11meter radio and modded to 10meter to exploit a loophole. Un-modding the radio is what actually opens it up to 11 meters. No real HF HAM operator would probably buy one of those so the actual frequencies as delivered are of no real importance.

.....but thats just me

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM
gcw

drkhorse is right it is a hf radio but its still thought of as a cb not a ham. the galaxys and other compatible models have built in freq counters but this one doesn't. im looking to find a good deal on a freq counter.

thanks for all the help! tomarrow im going to try and put pics up i really like how i mounted it.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by gcw
drkhorse is right it is a hf radio but its still thought of as a cb not a ham. the galaxys and other compatible models have built in freq counters but this one doesn't. im looking to find a good deal on a freq counter.

thanks for all the help! tomarrow im going to try and put pics up i really like how i mounted it.
Regardless of weather they call it a CB or a HAM, you need your ham ticket to broadcast on 10 meters. You are fine on 11 meters obviously but still illegal at that power level. That being said, you will be allot better received on the CB band than trotting around 10 meters without a valid call sign. I am of course assuming your not a ham so please feel free to correct me. Sorry I cant be of more help with your 10 meter questions but I stick to 2 meters myself. But again i don't really think anybody actually expects those "import" radios to be used for 10 meters.

Post up those pics though. I would like to see what you came up with. I am in the process of moving my stuff around myself. I had everything mounted where the console bucket used to be but it was not cool to have to look down all the time. I have eliminated a couple of my scanners and am dash mounting everything. Still need to mount my CB back up though. I think I have figured out a way to get it where the lighter is now but am still lacking a dash trim panel I am willing to cut up.

Here is my junk so far....

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
http://hotspotcb.com/charts/freqchar33.html

Freq chart for that export radio.

As for hi low? Prolly 5 watts low - 10 watts high...

As for the whine. your ground is inadequate or you are running power near the alternator....

Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by DrkHrse
Here is my junk so far....

This is a sweet setup.

That lower radio, how did you do that mount, I would be very interested in one for my IC706-MKII

Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Looks good DrkHrse.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by WaWaTuSi
This is a sweet setup.

That lower radio, how did you do that mount, I would be very interested in one for my IC706-MKII
I was amazed how much wasted space there is behind the dash. Removing the ashtray gives enough room for just about any radio you would want to put there. I have a self imposed no cut/no drill rule so I engineered a bracket out of 2" aluminum channel that attaches to the dash using the ashtray screws. 2 vertical pieces screw to the dash and a horizontal piece bolts to the back of those. The radio bracket is bolted to that horizontal piece so I still have the tilt adjustment that was built into it. You could probably use a less substantial bracket but I plan for the CB to bolt to it as well so I wanted it to be solid.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Ill echo what everyone else has said. It would be nearly impossible to use a 3300 on 10 meters as a 3300 uses channals and 10 meters operates between channals, so to speak

Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
gcw

thanks for all the advice/help everyone

drkhrse no i dont have my license my wife does and so does 90% of her family as for me im a marine scout observer i know the phonic alphabit correct numbers andim working on morese code. i have the clearance to load crypto on hf, uhf and vhf i also work with satcomm, so when i do goto get my own call sign it should be pretty easy.

i hate what ch 19 has turned into my dads a trucker ive pretty much grown up in a kenworth and i never rember hearing any cussing, lot lizzards, rambos but maybe i just didnt know but now thats all it is. alot of my buddys on base have cb's and its cool to key up and say hi but if we say much of anything well role to another ch. thats another thing that makes me

anyways ill get some pics up its tore apart from re doing my subs and finishing my center console

Quick Reply: ham radio operators