Don't replace your late model stock Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Don't replace your late model stock Head Unit

I came across this discussion at carsound.com. Good pros and cons about replacing the existing HU in your Ford or GM. Instead, keep it and go with amp & new speakers.

http://www.carsound.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004962.html

------------------
2001 XLT 4x4 Screw Gen III, Off Road, 3.55 slip, Capt Chairs, Bedliner, Ford BugShield, Two-Tone, Cab Steps

Old 06-04-2001, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read through that whole thing, what a shame. Anyway it has it points and drawbacks. Sure OEM Hu can sound good and amps can be hooked up to them. But still aftermarket HU's still have more options and tuning and all this and that needed for customization. Sometimes it's better to have a stock HU b/c there is less to adjust and fidgit with, which makes it simpler.

Personally I preffer aftermarket HU's. Now if we had navigation systems and climate control build into the stereo like on some of the newer cars coming out, thats a different story.

And it's also about appeal. Sure stock HU can be made sound as good or better then aftermarket, but common, those screensavers are way up on the neat factor. It's like a video clip that I found of a dodge neon beating a viper, sure the neon can be built up to do that, it was proven, but which car is gonna appeal to the public more?

Quick Reply: Don't replace your late model stock Head Unit