adding aux inputs to stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I have installed many Ipod adapters and aux inputs for factory stereos, in which I have used units from PIE, Blitzsafe and USA Spec.
And in my opinion the units from USA Spec far outperform the other units in every aspect; sound, radio function (buttons), ease of installation and quality.
If you haven't heard of them, check them out on their website. www.USASPEC.com

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pointindog
I have installed many Ipod adapters and aux inputs for factory stereos, in which I have used units from PIE, Blitzsafe and USA Spec.
And in my opinion the units from USA Spec far outperform the other units in every aspect; sound, radio function (buttons), ease of installation and quality.
If you haven't heard of them, check them out on their website. www.USASPEC.com
The one from USA Spec only works with an Ipod though right? Not an MP3 player?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
No Line in from Aux, after battery died.

Originally Posted by Bighungry
I have not found anything about the problem I am having and just thought you guys/gals could help!
Long story short, my battery died and now when I push the AUX button it only pops up with SAT1,SAT2, and SAT3 and I do not see the auxiliary "line in" port as a choice anymore. I have the '07 F-150.
Is there some type of password or steps I have to do in order for the deck to see the line in port as an option? it ONLY did this after it died. Thanks for any help!
Man, This just happened to me. Driving me crazy, can't find any info. My battery died, I jump started it and then bam no more "line in" option from the "aux" button. Only options are sat1 sat2 sat3. Any ideas? (2007 f150 fx4)

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
USA Spec

Originally Posted by AZFX4
The one from USA Spec only works with an Ipod though right? Not an MP3 player?
The USA Spec has a dedicated Ipod connection but also has a Aux input that can be used for anything however you don't get any of the control features through the factory radio, so there is not much of a point if your truck already has a Aux in jack. Are you using a Zune or something else? Because I saw a dedicated unit for a Zune that had radio controls. I think I saw it on Autotoys.com

Last edited by Pointindog; 03-22-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM

I have a sony MP3, I dont have the factory AUX input though. I dont really care about the control features just want to hear it through my stereo.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by AZFX4
I have a sony MP3, I dont have the factory AUX input though. I dont really care about the control features just want to hear it through my stereo.
If you don't need or want any MP3 control through the radio, you could purchase just a Auxiliary input unit for your truck that would just give you a line in to your factory stereo allowing you to hear your MP3 player through your audio system with a much better sound than a FM modulator. The stand alone Aux. units are cheaper than the ones designed also to input and control a Ipod or Zune. Check out Autotoys.com and look under "car electronics".

I think this would work for you: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=6090
just make sure you meet all the requirements they list. And then adding a finishing plug would give you a clean factory look! - http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=7972

Last edited by Pointindog; 03-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I just cut my satalite radio connector in the back behind my radio and used those wires for power and ground to my new PIE i bet you could do the same if you dont have a satalite radio then you dont need the connector and its already wired for it. idk if this helps its jsut what i did for power to my new PIE unit

Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Been reading some other posts on this subject, but need a little clarification.
I have an 05 with stock HU and i have a PIE adapter. If i buy the line-in tray in the link below, can it be wired to the PIE? The tray comes with a cut factory harness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F150-...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
You can use the input on the tray, you would just need to solder RCA connectors onto the wires from the harness so that you could plug it into the inputs on the PIE adapter.
If I remember right the tray harness has 4 wires - 2 of which are the same (common) the others are left and right.
If you can solder, that would be much better than the crimp-on type even when extending the wires, solder the two wires together it helps cut down unwanted noise and sound.
And make sure you insulate good when done, I like shrink tubing the best, the good stuff or 2 layers of the cheap stuff.

Last edited by Pointindog; 05-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I know the last time I posted on this topic was a year ago, but I just finished what I started. I put a hu from a 250 into my 150. My question was how to use the input button to play my ipod. I found out which pins on the hu were for the input. My 150 did not have a harness or anything so I soldered to the pins. On the spot where the 16 pin connector goes there are four pins that I needed. Looking at the open hole from left to right and top to bottom the pins are 1-8 and 9-16. #6 is right +, #7 is left +, #8 is left-, and #14 is right -. I soldered them and plugged it all back in and it sounds perfect, especially for the $6 I spent on a cable with a female end. Don't know if this will help anyone or not, but Thought I would share what I found.

Quick Reply: adding aux inputs to stock stereo