Moaning noise after intake install!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Moaning noise after intake install!!!!

Alright after a week of having my mac intake in, it has started to **** me off! Whenever I pull to a stop light it makes this humming noise coming from the filter area. As this happens the rpm's start to rise, I've checked the vacumm lines, and there on tight, so is the mass air and filter. Also as soon as the ac compressor comes on, it makes the noise. My question is, if I change the filter to one that has on opening at the end, will it make a difference. The mac doesn't have an opening on the end where the opening in the fender is from the stock system. I have run out of clues to why this happens, its embarrasing at lights when this happens someone help.

Old 02-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did the same thing when I installed the Air Aid FIPK. To get rid of the noise I had to reinstall the little black plastic box between two of the small hoses. I think it is a silencer or muffler.

Old 02-25-2002, 02:06 AM
Is that it, that little piece of metal that came with the intake is what is making all that noise. Good thing I saved it. What happens if I put that in, and it still makes that noise, cause it is getting really annoying now. Everytime I take my foot of the gas then give it a little it makes it or whenever im stopped at a light with the heat on it does it. I hope that little black box helps

Old 02-25-2002, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent $10.18 at NAPA and bought hose # 9816 and cut a little off each end to make the little silencer fit under the intake cover. Have never heard the noise again.

Old 02-26-2002, 01:36 AM
Ok, I tried to put the little black box back, but it won't fit between the hoses. The metal connection from the intake is to long, even if I take the hose off, the box bumps into the tubing. I was thinking about taking the intake off AGAIN and cutting a little piece of the connection off so I can put the box back. Its been just a really bad experience with this intake, I think im going to buy the af1, just because i haven't heard anything that bad about it.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I had to trim mine as well, on a K&N fipk. I trimmed off the box side, not the intake itself. I also used clamps on all the small hose connections, I think that plus the "black box" might take care of the moaning noise. Unless it's inside the inerior, you're on your own there,,,,98

Old 02-26-2002, 11:22 AM
i never had any problem with my airaid

Old 02-27-2002, 06:00 PM
well I know its not in the interior. I've had to hood up when it happened its coming from the intake thats for sure. About how much did you trim off the box? I used zip ties to hold it down before. Will this help, cause mac don't want to help wrote them emails no response.

Old 02-27-2002, 10:55 PM
My AirForce One makes the sound too

Just installed it, and when I shut it down I hear a, for all intensive purposes, a farting sound from the intake area, and a rushing sound from filter, like a vacume loss.

I also get a moan, kinda like a high pitched fog horn from the intake every once in a while?

Any ideas?

Old 02-28-2002, 01:24 AM
Question

Which black box? I never saw any black box during the install of an Airaid..

Old 02-28-2002, 09:48 AM
Angry

Let me add my name to the list! My situation differs alittle. I had made my new tube with 3" exhust tubing. I cut the old airbox apart and had a fully exposed ki&n filter. This noise was driving me nuts so I decided to back step a little. I when to the local yard and picked up a used airbox. I took the portion that sticks into the the fender and now inclosed the K&N just like the origial filter. This helped ALOT. The noise is still their but is hardly noticeable. The only reason I can hear it is because I hated the fog horn noise so much that it is burned into my memory. If you think about it its better to have the filter covered anyway. NO engin heat, all the fresh air it wants, and it can't get wet. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Thumbs up

This should be obvious enough You have to trim off about an inch or so of the tube on the TB side of it, and you should use hose clamps to get a proper seal. Remember, it's on the suction side of the intake and will suck in dust and dirt if not sealed properly!!,,,,98

It is a factory part, BTW. You have to trim the hose supplied with whatever fipk kit you bought.

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 02-28-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:53 PM
So the consences is?

The two hoses by the throttle body are where the noise comes from?

I have the Airforce One, is there trimming involved or just clamp em down to make a better seal?

Old 02-28-2002, 09:25 PM
Thumbs up

Not sure about the A/F one intake. I just thought the "box" was there for reason, so I cut the top hose out where it went, and re-installed it. I used a clamp on every junction between the intake tube and the TB to make sure it was well sealed. I'm no expert, but it seems like unhindered airflow between the intake tube and the TB elbow is what causes the noise. The "box" sort of acts as a "muffler".,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 02-28-2002 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Ok i installed the little "black box", and wahlah, no more noise. I cant believe this little thing can actually do something. I had to trim about one inche or so off, but now i can't put the cover on, because it sticks out to far, im going to trim alittle off the intake side, its pretty long so i can put the cover on again. Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Moaning noise after intake install!!!!