Who uses K&N filter system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who uses K&N filter system?

I was told by mechanic to throw away the K&N and go with Green filter, whatever that is. He said no oil is used..What's up with that? And what is the Green Filter?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by F1X540
I was told by mechanic to throw away the K&N and go with Green filter, whatever that is. He said no oil is used..What's up with that? And what is the Green Filter?
1st..... I am not for or against either. I use a K&N on my Harley and regular filters on everything else. There are pros and cons for every product out there and one must decide what fit's best for his or her situation and what is hype / snake oil sales.

I just read thier site and your "mechanic" is wrong by stating "no oil is used". These filters are cleaned and maintained exactly like a K&N, except using the "special Green" products: http://www.greenfilterusa.com/Inform...6/Default.aspx then read "How to clean your filter"

1. Tap off loose dirt
2. Apply "Special green" filter cleaner
3. Wash out
4. Let dry
5. Apply special "GREEN OIL"

Sound farmilliar? But now you gotta buy thier "special kit", as they warn not to use anything but thier products on thier filters.

Only difference is the "special way" filter medium is manufactured, which in some circles is called "snake oil sales" and the obvious Green vs: red..........

The Green Filter, I suspect, is jumping on the "Al Gore Green" bandwagon and using the word "GREEN" as a sales tool.

Seen it a bazillion times since the honorable Al Gore claimed the sky is falling with all the "fabricated" stats, facts, examples and the infamous hockey stick chart and preys on emotion and feelings of guilt (and has made millions off those knee jerk reactions). I have zero confidence in anything special with the "green" label attached, as to the validity of the claims of saving the world with the use of any "special" product.

Last edited by 04fxdwgi; 10-21-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ x2

Last edited by JCR 56; 10-21-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM
^^ x3

Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amsoil makes conical shaped EaA air filters in a bunch of various sizes and shapes (and a really cool blue color with chrome end cap and Amsoil engraving). I have the K&N FIPK for my truck, but swapped to the Amsoil filter on the end quite some time ago...could not be happier! No oiling of any type and I'll guaratee it's a better filter and will last with the K&N.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
OK.
Gore is an idiot, agreed...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
OK.
Gore is an idiot, agreed...
The mechanic looked at as if I just stomped on his cat when I told him I use
spray made to clean the MAF..He said just use Q-tip..Bull..

Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I used a K&N for 135,000 miles on my 05. It was on it when I sold it Monday. I liked it because I could wash it, lightly re-oil it and save the money for filters. The recharge it was $10 and included the cleaner spray and the oil. I cleaned it maybe 5 times in those miles and still have half the kit remaining. The truck never used oil and ran great. The K&N does very little if anything for performance or mpg, but saves dollars on replacement filters. I was totally satisfied with it.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The mechanic looked at me as if I just stomped on his cat when I told him I use
spray made to clean the MAF..He said just use Q-tip..Bull..
Yea, spraying WILL NOT WORK majority of the time. IF,- the MAF is contaminated and dirty. You need to clean it by hand to do the job correctly. Also, at times you may need to hit the wires with Lacquer Thinner to cut the baked on contamination. That has to be done carefully so that the LT doesn't compromise the holder. It's not difficult to do this correctly and the MAF isn't all that weak. Meaning, - it would be hard to break with a Q-tip.

Now you know why you got the look.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I do

I cant tell a performance difference between the OEM vs. the K&N but I only bought one filter for my last truck in 120,000 miles and I do not intend to by another single filter for this truck other than the K&N I have today. BEER MONEY!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, spraying WILL NOT WORK majority of the time. IF,- the MAF is contaminated and dirty. You need to clean it by hand to do the job correctly. Also, at times you may need to hit the wires with Lacquer Thinner to cut the baked on contamination. That has to be done carefully so that the LT doesn't compromise the holder. It's not difficult to do this correctly and the MAF isn't all that weak. Meaning, - it would be hard to break with a Q-tip.

Now you know why you got the look.
It had red oil on from my K&N filter.
But when I spayed it, it was shiny clean..
I used a spray especially for MAF cleaning..

Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
It had red oil on from my K&N filter.
But when I spayed it, it was shiny clean..
I used a spray especially for MAF cleaning..
Spray the oil on very lightly. I never over oil it. On the MAF, I have always had good luck just spraying it. Part of regular maintenance.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I got 50 more horse power...Just kidding...I wish!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Amsoil makes conical shaped EaA air filters in a bunch of various sizes and shapes (and a really cool blue color with chrome end cap and Amsoil engraving). I have the K&N FIPK for my truck, but swapped to the Amsoil filter on the end quite some time ago...could not be happier! No oiling of any type and I'll guaratee it's a better filter and will last with the K&N.
Yea, it's quite a bit better than the K&N. I've run the K&N for about 5 years before crossing over to the Amsoil. The big advantage the Amsoil has over K&N is it's consistent filtering capabilities. An oiled filter is never consistent because it attracts foreign matter and in-beds it into it's media. That filter collects dirt when the vehicle isn't even running...Not kidding...Have you ever heard someone say that the K&N filters better when it's dirty? As silly as that sounds, it may be true. BUT, to get to that point, the voids have to plug in the media. Before this happens, the smaller particles make it past the media all together. So when you think about, it is silly, right.... I've personally seen sand/grains of dirt make it past K&N filters and I definitely know how to clean and oil them. I wouldn't bash a product without proof.

I DO NOT work for Amsoil. I'm for the users on this site, period, and posts are drawn from past experience.

From what I've seen , the Amsoil nano fiber doesn't embed the dirt. It more less deflects it IMO. I installed this filter back in 07 and it still looks new. I've used compressed air attempting to blow finer particles from this filter, but never get anything visible, that I can see. Usually with normal dry elements you'll at least see a little dust from this procedure, but I haven't.

Out of the different filters I've experienced in the past, this one exceeds all expectations. Doing away with the worry of MAF contamination, constant consistent filtering and plenty of clean air flow. If you want the best for your engine, well, now you know.

Quick Reply: Who uses K&N filter system?