Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)

I will be posting more info as time permits. However I thought I would post up some stuff now to show everyone how I did this. Motorcraft fans are (P/N AL3Z-8C607-A) from the 2010 f-150. These fans are very strong at 100%. This past weekend I removed the DC controller and installed a Painless F5 (30140) dual fan controller. A great product in my opinion. Had everything needed. I didn't have to purchase anything but wire loom to make it pretty. Runs the fans at 50% based on initial temp setting then boost them to 100% based on second setting. Both temp settings are adjustable. AC running makes them run 100%. They also tie to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and shut off at my set speed. I have chosen 22mph. In addition the fans can be run at 100% via a toggle switch so cooling at the drag strip will be a breeze. I like the fact that the fans use a standard Delphi temp sensor (which has been used in automobiles for 15 years) which you screw into the cooling system (using Flex-a-lite 32084) verses the temp probe stuck in the cooling fins which is how some other controllers do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KSw-JU-U4
Toggle switch for manual operation. (You do not have to install this, it's optional with the kit)

Painless controller mounted on the battery box.

Slight triming needed to clear abs system.

The motorcraft fans alighned perfectly with three out of four holes already in the radiator. The one that didn't was on the upper drivers side. It was off by an inch. So I made a bracket from alum flat bar to compensate for the offset.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 10-05-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Where did you tie in for the A/C, I still haven't hooked mine up yet. Got any pics of the FAL hose adapter? I need to move my temp sensor out to the rad hose, it gets too warm in the heater hose.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Looks pretty cool!

Side note - I didnt realize your truck was an XLT I thought it was a lariat for whatever reason

Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Where did you tie in for the A/C, I still haven't hooked mine up yet. Got any pics of the FAL hose adapter? I need to move my temp sensor out to the rad hose, it gets too warm in the heater hose.
And the tie in for VSS please

Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good job!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Can anyone lend me $400. to do this? HAHA! Man o man I have been wanting to do this for awhile. Keep us posted about how the painless controller holds up.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Where did you come up with 22 MPH for deactivating the fans? Is this just where you set it for now and are going to do some testing? I have had the same setup sitting in my shop for weeks now and still haven't gotten around to installing it, to busy working and hunting lately.

Tim

Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
The adapter is on the way. Cheapest I could find it was here http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidj4BrFwK $45 to my door. It's black so it won't draw attention. Looking forward to its arrival. The ac tie in is a gray/with white stripe. The harness runs down to the compressor. You can slide under the truck and pull the wire loom back to see if yours is the same. It's only two wires. The other is black. The wires run up and into the large harness by the oil cap. This is where I tied in. The vss wire is grey/with black stripe. It can be found in the radio harness as well as the plug on the accelerator. I tied in at the accelerator. The pic below shows the green wire for ac compresser signal entering the harness and you will also see an orange wire which is for swiched ignition 12v or acc. You see the long retangular plug as well and this black wire is a switched ignition source.

The 22mph number I pulled outta my *** lol. I'm sure 15-20mph would work fine. You just need air moving across the radiator and 22mph sounded good to me. Changing this setting is as easy as pushing a button. Below is a pic of the switch mounted beneath the dash. The cool thing is there is already a hole there that it fits in perfectly. You simply drive the speed you want the fans to cut off at and press the button. It's done and unless you press the button again at a different speed thats where they will shut off at.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 10-03-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Good job!
Thanks!!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
The 22mph number I pulled outta my *** lol.

Thats funny, thats what I was thinking but just didn't want to say it. I really like the features on this controller and can't wait to get it installed. Although by that time it will be cold enough up here I won't need fans.

Tim

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by TJL442
The 22mph number I pulled outta my *** lol.

Thats funny, thats what I was thinking but just didn't want to say it. I really like the features on this controller and can't wait to get it installed. Although by that time it will be cold enough up here I won't need fans.

Tim
Breaking away from my own thread...how do you like the cooper tires?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Breaking away from my own thread...how do you like the cooper tires?
So far so good with the Coopers. I only run them during the summer on the chrome 20's and switch back to my stockers for the winter to save the chrome. I probably only have about 6k on them so can't give a solid review on there quality, but the price was great compared to others so I figured I would give them a shot.

Tim

Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Here's the Painless kit. Can't get much more complete than this.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I knew about the one at the radio, but didn't about the one on the accelerator. I assume your meaning the pedal.

I also got the painlees kit. My rad hose adaptor gets here on weds. If weather is nice i hope to be in business soon.

I'm a bit conserned about the toggle switch being mistakenly bumped into the off postion, but i think i can just leave that wire unplugged from it and it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Toggle switch is optional. I mounted mine as high as as possible so my knees can't get to it. And even if they do the down position is off and theres no way to accidently do that.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)