Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I ordered the FAL hose adapter today from summit, and I already have a 37/64 reduced shank bit to drill it out and a 3/8 NPT tap. When it gets here, I'm gonna switch from the heater hose adapter to the upper rad hose. Having the temp sensor in the heater hose, it sees temp too soon and my fans come on too early.
That is good to know. I am still trying to figure out were to put my dedicated temp sensor and I was leaning toward the heater hose if I can't tap into the factory temp sensor.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzstang
That is good to know. I am still trying to figure out were to put my dedicated temp sensor and I was leaning toward the heater hose if I can't tap into the factory temp sensor.

Thanks.
You will have a lot less headaches if you get the FAL hose adapter that we are talking about and tap one of the bungs out to 3/8 NPT.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
In order to save $200 on the project could you use a "old school" screw in coolant thermostat and a relay? Fan on A/C could be activated old school with a relay, with a sail switch to deactivate at 22 MPH

How often does the fan turn on when A/C is not being used?
Has this project helped with gas mileage much or am I missing the point?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tapped my thermostat housing to install a sensor for my Coolant temp gauge. Can I splice my gauge wire coming off that sender to run e-fans? I have two 16" Taurus efans just sitting in my garage right now...
IMAG0496.jpg?t=1319781625

Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by 54regcab
In order to save $200 on the project could you use a "old school" screw in coolant thermostat and a relay? Fan on A/C could be activated old school with a relay, with a sail switch to deactivate at 22 MPH

How often does the fan turn on when A/C is not being used?
Has this project helped with gas mileage much or am I missing the point?
Of course you can use relays. With relays come problems though. People bitch all the time about there e-fans not working or being left stranded cause a relay blew or for the 4wd guys it got wet. If you are going for cheap then just get some fans from a junkyard and pick up a relay setup from adavance for $36. My intentions when doing this was to have a set up that would perform exactly as a factory setup does with the same reliability and appearance. I haven't checked mpgs and don't care much. My goal is power. I want 470+rwhp and this was a needed step to free up power and make sure she will stay cool. There are many different setups out there for fans. The point of this thread was to show that the new motorcraft fans can be installed, look factory, and perform as such down to every detail. And most importantly without a DC Controler.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
There are many different setups out there for fans. The point of this thread was to show that the new motorcraft fans can be installed, look factory, and perform as such down to every detail. And most importantly without a DC Controler.
I just put in a 3 relay setup with some junkyard fans out of a 06 caravan in my uncles 98 3/4 ton dodge, works flawlessly.

When I did my install, I wanted to prove the 2010 fans will work with the spal controller, which it does. everyone tried to tell me not to do it, to use a DC controller. I've heard all kind of reasons such as the fans pull too much current to the fans will cause the spal to fault out because they are the wrong type of motor. Needless to say, the setup works just fine. I just have to move my temp sensor over to the top rad hose, having it in the heater hose it sees temp too early and therefore the fans come on too early. I even installed two LED's (one for each fan)and a manual override switch next to the cig lighter.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My adventure starts in the morning. Controller is back from painless and bench tested. Got my adaptor tapped at local shop and sort of glad i did.

While talking to the guy i bought a boat load of old firebird parts i'd been looking a swap meets for and got perm to ride my ATV on some land he has.

I have some flat alum stock for the one offset bolt. Just have to cut around abs and figure out a new way to support intercooler res.

Last edited by sugar-rush; 10-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
And most importantly without a DC Controler.
Funny, thats the same reason for me. DC didn't work for me.

Tim

Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I tapped my thermostat housing to install a sensor for my Coolant temp gauge. Can I splice my gauge wire coming off that sender to run e-fans? I have two 16" Taurus efans just sitting in my garage right now...
Depends on the resistance to temperature scale of the probe and what the controller probe uses. Not all temp sensors use the same resistance for a given temperature.

Tim

Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 AM

Any pics?
I just put in a 3 relay setup with some junkyard fans out of a 06 caravan in my uncles 98 3/4 ton dodge, works flawlessly.

When I did my install, I wanted to prove the 2010 fans will work with the spal controller, which it does. everyone tried to tell me not to do it, to use a DC controller. I've heard all kind of reasons such as the fans pull too much current to the fans will cause the spal to fault out because they are the wrong type of motor. Needless to say, the setup works just fine. I just have to move my temp sensor over to the top rad hose, having it in the heater hose it sees temp too early and therefore the fans come on too early. I even installed two LED's (one for each fan)and a manual override switch next to the cig lighter.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MedicF150
Any pics?
Not of the relay setup in my uncles dodge. My install was in this thread
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...s-04-08-a.html

Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM

I've had a set of Troyer EFans and DC Controller sitting in my garage for almost a year now and havnt put them in because of the issues with these damn controllers frying all the time. I just can't justify the pros with the cons. Staying stranded in the middle of nowhere without an easy fix or a part that you could get at any auto parts is not Worth the few hp gains.
But after seeing this Painless setup. I'm really starting to reconsider the E Fans. Could one of you guys compare the two and help me understand why this setup is not going to fail like the other relay type setups. Thanks!!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Failure of the fan module would just leave you stranded until the engine cooled off or until you were able to drive at 22MPH. It's not a "hard failure" that leaves you high and dry.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I
Originally Posted by sugar-rush
My adventure starts in the morning. Controller is back from painless and bench tested. Got my adaptor tapped at local shop and sort of glad i did.

While talking to the guy i bought a boat load of old firebird parts i'd been looking a swap meets for and got perm to ride my ATV on some land he has.

I have some flat alum stock for the one offset bolt. Just have to cut around abs and figure out a new way to support intercooler res.
Ok fans are in and controller is mostly wired. Ran out of time so i haven't routed wires into cab or tapped the speed sensor.

Now for the reasons i ran out of time.
1. Ended up having to get a loan a tool fan cluch removal tool. That dude was on there. Mine had some sort of electric cluch attached to the fan so i couldn't get anything i had on there.. I unplugged it, but need to tape up the remaining harness.

2. I had to make brackets for the bottom of fans. They set about 1" from the bottom of rad. I didn't expect this as others with 07's didn't have to. Made diff fan or rad or something.

3. Holly $#%t how the heck do you tap the AC? Spent hours trying to trace that down. Couldn't get the cluch unplugged on the AC. Couldn't trace it up. My intercooler tank is freaking in the way so access is limited. Where are you guys tapping in?

Remember i'm legally blind so if someone could post a good pic it would be great. I guess it should be white/gray and be up by filler cap, but dammed if i could find it.

Last edited by sugar-rush; 10-30-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pics of the Leds?

Originally Posted by sugar-rush
I

Remember i'm legally blind so if someone could post a good pic it would be great. I guess it should be white/gray and be up by filler cap, but dammed if i could find it.
I can see why this would be hard for a guy that is color blind. lol. They are all the same color. I will have to get my buddy to help me.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)