trailer hitch stuck in receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RKrough
Yeah but hooked to the Chevy there were greater odds that something would have broken off the Chevy and came flying through my back window.
Something like the hitch or maybe frame.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a simple solution - I waited until it was about 40 degrees colder, and then the metal contracted enough to tap it out with the sledge hammer. Don't forget that hot metal expands, and you are dealing with two pieces of metal that are stuck. Cool them enough (Ice if necessary), and the metal will shrink so it's not stuck anymore if there's not a rust binding it together.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM
That doesn't sound like a lot of fun!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 AM
New to me 98 F150, hitch in there for the ages. Rust buster over two days pin out 3/8 chain to 7500 pound skid steer, serious rounds of beating with an 8 pound sledge. got it to move in about 1/8" then stopped going that direction. some time heating with a #4 tip on the oxy/acetylene, welded back plate. I have moved the skidsteer about a foot so far. Most worried about truck frame this is a rusty Wisconsin truck. Next up? how do I drop the still brand new spare out of the rusted carrier?
I wouldn't bother removing the hitch, but I can JUST get it in the garage. both height and length.
A dew decades ago I watched a guy with a forklift try to get a semi out of a ditch, before I could stop them he tried a running start on the chain. Chain broke and exploded through the windshield, dropped in the drivers lap, he came out of that truck covered in glass and white as a ghost.

Last edited by gggGary; 12-19-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: trailer hitch stuck in receiver