can i paint an aluminum tool box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint aluminum toolbox

Just finished mine. Cleaned with a degreaser, sanded with a 80 and 150 grit sandpaper, cleaned again with degreaser, wiped it with a tack cloth, sprayed with an etch primer, high heat paint, and matte clear.

Clear coated

clear coated

Cleaned and sanded

Etch primed

Painted with high heat paint

Painted with high heat paint<br/>

Old 05-23-2016, 06:07 PM
As a licensed Aircraft mechanic (A&P) I have much experience with the painting of aluminum.
The most important thing is surface preparation before painting. Aluminum while not susceptible to forming rust is still susceptible to corrosion. Cleaning the surface to be painted with mild soap and water first and then follow this process. It is necessary to use a conversion coating such as Henkel 594419 BONDERITE M-CR 1201 or another type of Alodine. This prepares the surface of the metal to resist corrosion and creates a bonding surface for the primer.
Priming is the next and most important step. A zinc based primer is most recommended as it will bond with aluminum much better than other primers.
Moeller 025802 green Zinc primer is a low cost solution. Paint can be applied from many sources and of all types but I would suggest that you use at least a marine quality paint as these will have high durability without the added cost of an aircraft grade paint. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 PM
There is more than one type of anodize. The best is to military spec and is black .

Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think you will find that anodizing is not the answer.

#1 it will take someone with a hugh tank that does black parts that big.

it wont be cost effective.

any corrosion, scratch, welding will show up like a turd in a punch bowl.
anodizing can be effected by cleaners like fantastic, it can stain . cheaper aluminum will turn out gray or brown and will streak.

get it powdercoated, small scratches, no problem, minimal prep and that stuff it tuff!

Quick Reply: can i paint an aluminum tool box?