Rolltop Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rolltop Tonneau

I am deliberating on what type tonneau to install, and was wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of the Pace-Edwards rolltop tonneau on a Superduty. I have seen one installed on a <choke, cough> dodge, and it really helped the look of the truck (but then, what wouldn't, right? ) I don't want a fiberglass, simply because I sometimes need the ability to carry a larger load in the bed, and don't want to hassle with removing it, so this may be the next best thing. Then again, the extra $$$ makes me consider a softtop. Any input on the rolltop, and favorites among the softtops would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Old 02-09-2001, 01:54 PM
I had one on my '99 F150 and really liked it. The only problem I encountered was that sometimes in the winter the lock would freeze up from rain or snow. I could still open the tailgate so it was only a problem if I needed to move something really big. I'm contemplating getting another for this truck.

Good luck,

------------------
Rip
2001 F350 XLT SC Dually
V10 * 4X4 Off-Road package
Westin Platinum Series steps
Line-X Bedliner

Old 02-09-2001, 01:56 PM
OK - so I forgot to include my signature in the first post.

------------------
Y2K SD250 SC XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, Auto; Towing Pkg; Torreador Red; Sliding Back Glass, Tinted Windows

Mods (minor so far):
Westin step bars
Bugflector II bug shield
Pendaliner S/R bedliner
Ventvisors

Old 02-09-2001, 01:59 PM
Rip - about how much space did you actually lose to the canister at the front of the bed when the cover was fully retracted? This is a minor consideration as I would like to be able to still fit my ATV in the back without leaving the tailgate down.

------------------
Y2K SD250 SC XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, Auto; Towing Pkg; Torreador Red; Sliding Back Glass, Tinted Windows

Mods (minor so far):
Westin step bars
Bugflector II bug shield
Pendaliner S/R bedliner
Ventvisors

Old 02-09-2001, 04:18 PM
I never measured it but the canister is probably 8"x8"xwidth of bed. If you have a plastic bedliner that goes over the front rail it'll have to be cut. Of course they charged extra for that. The roll top is even with the top of the bed but the canister is raised about an inch. It's really slick looking.

------------------
Rip
2001 F350 XLT SC Dually
V10 * 4X4 Off-Road package
Westin Platinum Series steps
Line-X Bedliner

Old 02-09-2001, 06:35 PM
Thumbs up

I have one also and everthing that Ripf350 has told you is correct,but, if I were to do it again I might look at the Re-trax cover due to the ball bearing slides in the side rails and the Lexan cover. Check out Re-trax, Roll and Lock and the Pace Edwards and compare. See which one you like best.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover.

Old 02-10-2001, 10:24 AM
Thumbs up

I installed the Retrax about a year ago and would recommend it highly. The only problem I had with it is the key lock cylinder froze once when it sat in freezing rain. The ball bearing rollers have always worked great. The installation is straight forward and it takes no modification if you have a bedliner.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat SC Flareside ORP, Chestnut w/Arizona Beige two-tone; 5.4L, 3.55LS; 4wDisc-ABS; Remote Keyless Entry; Factory 6-Pack CD changer; Signal Mirrors; Ford Duraliner; Retrax Roll-top Cover; Flowmaster 70 Series Dual Exhaust; Cold AirBox Mod; Tinted windows; VentVisors

Old 02-12-2001, 10:09 AM
Question

Beerman! Over here! Two Bud Lights! Sorry, just had to get that out.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for your Retrax? I really like them, but they seem kinda pricey. Thanks!

------------------
* 2000 F-150 XLT Black FS; 5.4L
* 4x4 ORP
* 3.55 Limited Slip
* Stepups
* Sliding Rear Window
* 6-Way Power Seat
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Lund Trident Bug Shield
* Custom Exhaust
* Fumoto Oil Drain Plug Valve (a must for do-it-yourselfers!)
* Wise Bedrug

So many mods, so little cash! On the up side, no wife to create a filibuster.

Old 02-12-2001, 11:19 AM
I'd recommend the RETRAX also. A little spendier perhaps, but I think the quality is far superior to the Pace-Edwards and Roll-n-Locks that I've seen. The new lock is different than the old one was, and I've had mine freeze a few times. When I got this one installed in November, the guys over at Applied Products told me they were in the process of having a rubber boot & cap set up made for the lock. I'm planning on seeing if they have it ready the next time I'm in Grand Forks.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L SC 4x4 ORP Wedgewood Waldoch - 3.73LS, grey/blue leather, wood dash and door inserts, Lund Deflector, Trenz Billet Antennae, Clear Corner Lenses, Line-X Bedliner, Retrax Bed Cover

1977 1/2 F250 4x4 "Low Boy" 400-4spd

Old 02-14-2001, 09:33 PM
Question

Very interesting thread! I am seriously considering a rolltop tonneau for my truck (leaning toward Retrax).

Regarding the issue of locks freezing up:

What are people's experiences regarding how often this happens during/after bad weather?

Is the remedy as simple as a squirt of WD-40 or one of those alcohol-based lock de-icer sprays?

Seems like a lot of money to pay for a system that may not unlock for you every time.

------------------
Loose Moose II

'01 F-150 Wedgewood Blue SuperCab XLT
5.4L, 4X4, SB, 3.55LS

Old 02-15-2001, 12:19 AM
Hey ND-BMW that the only complaint I have with my pace cover the lock alway freezes mostly due to always going in and out of warm shop--what kind of lock cover are they making for your Retrax? Do you think it would fit on my pace-edwards

------------------
98 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 supercab-short box/bright red & black/6 disk cd changer/ dynomax cat back/k&n fipk/super chip/lund taillight covers/clear corner lens/factory fog lamps/pace edwards box cover/ultra wheels/LT265-75-16 BFG/ westin nerf bars/steel horse billit grill & bumper insert/reflex shocks/bosch plat. plus 4/accel wires/auto start/left hand grab handle/skidoo summit 700 high mark/FORD DEALERSHIP

Old 02-15-2001, 08:47 AM
Exclamation

More information I have gathered:

RollNLock: Canister Dimensions 9" x 9"
Standard install - self tapping screws (listed as a no drill install) with two drain holes: Waiting on reply to see if they have a "No new hole" installation

http://www.rollnlockmailorderonline.com/

Pace-Edwards Canister Dimensions 10" x 10"
Has clamp on option available for no drill install

http://www.paceedwards.com/

Retrax Canister Dimensions 10" x 10"
: Waiting on reply to see if they have a "No new hole" installation

http://www.rolltopcover.com/

For what it's worth - Cabela's has the Pace-Edwards in their spring catalog for $599

Will update any replies I get from the manufacturers.

------------------
Y2K SD250 SC XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, Auto; SWB; Off Road Pkg; Towing Pkg; Torreador Red; Sliding Back Glass, Tinted Windows

Mods (minor so far):
Westin step bars
Bugflector II bug shield
Pendaliner S/R bedliner
Vent Shade Ventvisors
GTS Slotted taillight covers

Old 02-15-2001, 10:54 AM
The RETRAX is no drilling, no cutting, no swearing.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L SC 4x4 ORP Wedgewood Waldoch - 3.73LS, grey/blue leather, wood dash and door inserts, Lund Deflector, Trenz Billet Antennae, Clear Corner Lenses, Line-X Bedliner, Retrax Bed Cover

1977 1/2 F250 4x4 "Low Boy" 400-4spd

Old 02-15-2001, 11:25 AM
Question

ND-BMW - so with the Retrax on your truck, you didn't have to add any new (non-factory) holes at any time during the installation?

Also - this back from RnL: "it is a clamp system but theres no way to clamp the tailgate piece or the can at the front"

------------------
Y2K SD250 SC XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, Auto; SWB; Off Road Pkg; Towing Pkg; Torreador Red; Sliding Back Glass, Tinted Windows

Mods (minor so far):
Westin step bars
Bugflector II bug shield
Pendaliner S/R bedliner
Vent Shade Ventvisors
GTS Slotted taillight covers

Old 02-16-2001, 09:24 PM
Try this site, the prices also include free shipping. My SCrew should be here in the next couple of weeks and I'm still debating.

http://www.davestonneaucovers.com/products.htm

------------------
On Order: 01 SCrew Lariat Beige/Blue 4WD, 5.4L, Tow, Moon roof,LS, Steps, Sliding rear window, Bed extender

Quick Reply: Rolltop Tonneau