The 2009 Ford F-150 First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By: Rockpick

Ford is all about continually raising the bar. The 2009 F-150 is no exception…

As an owner of a 2005 F-150 King Ranch Edition, I have a fairly good feel on how the current, and soon to be late, model performs in many scenarios. My overall impression has always been, generally, favorable with only a few minor exceptions; nothing is perfect. In a nutshell, I truly enjoy my 4-Wheel Drive system in the snow when needed, I tow on a rare occasion but have hauled quite a bit of payload over the several years of ownership. Durability; well, my truck doesn’t get beat on all that much so, I can’t say that it’s really been pressed over the years. What I can say with great certainty is that this truck has been a great vehicle as a daily driver, an occasional workhorse, and for the occasional night out on the town.

With that said, I walked into the 2009 F-150 Ride and Drive Event with some basis of knowledge of where the bar could potentially be raised, where some have had an occasional problem, and knowing the general capabilities of the last body style. Being that the event was held at the Ford Michigan Proving Grounds (MPG), I had a hunch that we were going to get to ‘test’ a few of the things that would certainly prove if the new body style was as big of a leap up from the last as Ford would want you to believe. In an added bonus, during three of the four module-style testing sessions, we were given the opportunity to test, head to head, comparably equipped competition. Ford spared no expense and had varying levels of each of Dodge, Toyota, and Chevrolet trucks there so that we could have a true test of an experience. I must say, the events did not disappoint and certainly pushed up and beyond what I had expected to be able to do during the event.

The ‘modules’ that I mentioned were broken out as follows:

1. Off-Road Performance
2. Trailer Tow
3. Durability
4. Agility While Loaded

Each of the events was hosted in the most inhospitable of environments – the Michigan Proving Grounds. This is an impressive site where Ford Motor Company has approximately 4,000 acres of space to conduct testing vehicles from all walks, styles, and pricelines. With a 5-mile banked oval, miles of off-road tracks, durability and corrosion testing areas, and countless other facilities, Ford uses this space to torture test their own products, equipment, and ideas. Also, as one would expect, they use this space as an area to size up the competition. This is a true ‘prove-out’ style facility.

Prove-out is exactly what we did in Module #1.

In the Off-Road Performance module, each member of our small group was presented with a FX4. After a short drive from Bay 1 at the MPG facility, we were deep onto the site and ready to lock into four-wheel drive to really test the capabilities of the new 2009 F-150. After locking in utilizing the familiar **** on the dash, we quickly had an opportunity to ‘test’ the vehicle. An area named ‘Cattail Bog’ was the first true ‘test’. This area is a true ‘bog’ of an area that was an absolute mud-pit. Other media personnel had worked over the area throughout the entire week as I was there on the last day of the event. Needless to say, it was quite deep, wet, and very difficult to maneuver.

On the first pass, we crawled to the top of a 10-foot mound and looked down on the Cattail area. At this point, the instructor asked me to pick a line and go for it. The first line that was chosen wasn’t the most aggressive but, it was far from the easiest. After cresting the hill and starting down, a sharp push to the pedal was applied. The truck didn’t disappoint as we made it through sideways and proceeded to the next areas of the testing.

Eventually, we made it back around to the bog for a second run. On this one, it was no holds barred as I felt like I had a good feel after maneuvering the sharp hills, quick turns, and several straight-away areas where the transmission was able to shift up and down to address the terrain; even in 4-Lo. As we crawled to the top of the hill before the Cattail area, I already knew that it was the hardest line or absolutely nothing. I informed my instructor as to my wish and he approved; needless to say, we were off. As I went in, I had a quick hit to the left which pushed me into a deeper section of mud. The long and short of it was that I was stuck. The staff that was on-hand at the bog quickly hooked us up to a waiting F-350 and did a little big of four-wheeling on its own to get us out. Once out, we proceeded back around the course.

As we worked into another section, I slowly crawled into a section where I probably should’ve been giving it a bit more pedal. The end result was a top-center in the middle of about 3 feet of water. The interesting thing about this was that this wasn’t any standard ‘top-center’ where you could rock the vehicle using the forward/reverse method. I could get no traction. Being that no staff were at this particular hazard (as they didn’t anticipate anyone getting stuck), they eventually arrived with a F-250 and a strap. Unfortunately though, this Super Duty didn’t prevail. Another Super Duty showed up about 10-minutes later; equipped with lockers, a serious-duty bumper, and much more aggressive wheels, I thought it was going to be a cakewalk coming back out of the muck. It still wasn’t meant to be as we still gave this truck a good run for the money. It did eventually prevail but, not until we overheated the FX4 that we were in and had to park it and hitch a ride back with MPG personnel to the Bay 1 area.

Here is where I was stuck. It looks pretty mundane but, it was difficult to maneuver!

During the drive back to Bay 1, I was taken down several roads where I had not previously been. Looking out to the left, I spotted a truck on a flatbed under a cover. I have no idea what it was or what it was there to do but it was clear that it wasn’t to be seen. Naturally, I asked about it to which I had a reply of “We make trucks?” I don’t know what it was but it wasn’t nearly as big as a Super Duty and was more along the lines of a standard cab version of something. I only had about 2 or 3 seconds of ‘see it’ time. I guess the mystery will have to continue on that one.

Photo Credits – If It’s Got An Engine

Module #2 was Trailer Tow. In this module, Ford Engineers explained what had gone in to the new Trailer Tow systems and what they were designed to do. The back-up camera system was shown and, I must admit, it was pretty slick. While I’m not a huge fan of the protruding Blue Oval on the tailgate, I was very impressed with the functionality of the system. Anyone can be a pro at backing and hitching with this system. Additionally, the anti-sway system was noted and explained.

Once back out on the track at MPG, each participant was presented with a F-150, a Ram, Tundra, or a Silverado. Each of the trucks was comparably equipped with trailer towing packages that were factory installed and was already pre-hitched to a 7,000-pound trailer. Unfortunately, due to the Ram’s low tow-weight, this was the constant that kept them from being able to put more weight behind the trucks.

I started in a beautiful 2009 F-150 Platinum Edition that was equipped to the max. While I could go on and on about how nice this truck was, I’ll stick with what this module was designed to show. The course featured some very steep grades – pushing to the edge of 9%. We started at the bottom of a fairly steep hill and were instructed to go wide-open throttle from the start. The F-150 quickly jumped to the hill and worked upwards. I was very impressed with the shifting capabilities that the new 6-speed brought to this test and was further impressed when we were coming back down the hill; one quick tap on the brake pedal while the trailer tow system was engaged signaled the computer to up-shift one gear thus offering some engine braking power. Another tap brought another shift and even one more. By the time we were near the bottom of the hill, I had decelled a trailer weighing 7,000 pounds that was forcing me down a hill from about 60 mph to about 40 mph without braking. This was very impressive.

The new Motor & 6-Speed Transmission:

The second lap in the F was equal. I saw no significant difference from each of the two laps but certainly noted that I couldn’t feel the trailer back there; and I even tried to work it around a few times with a few sudden jerks on the wheel to make the trailer sway. The trailer sway system is very precise and certainly responded quickly.

The Tundra and Ram were very similar and up-shifted at horrible times going from very low RPMs to a near redline on the Ram. The Ram struggled to even gain speed on a few of the inclines. Both were very unimpressive.

The Silverado was the only truck that offered similar pulling power to the F-150 while working up hills. While it pulled well, the trailer was very evident behind the truck and I felt it ‘jerking back’ at various points in the test. Also, a very harsh 3-2 shift was there that offered a near-redline as we were climbing back up a hill. The F-150’s anti-sway/rollover system would’ve been nice on this truck as the trailer certainly started to swim slightly. The Silverado, while similarly equipped, was still short of the F-150 but was a close second on this test.

I should also note that the cab of the F-150 was considerably quieter than the other three. The soundproofing that has gone into the new F is substantially better than that of the current model, in my opinion. In each, when the engine revved, you could feel and hear it. In the F, while you could still hear it, it was much more muted. My instructor and I were easily able to carry on a conversation at a normal talking voice.

The truck was still kind of thirsty as we went through this test but, with a 7,000 pound lump behind it, I expected what I saw. The grades that we were maneuvering were extreme and certainly above what most folks would typically drive – unless you’re living in the Rockies. We ran around 9 MPG during the trailer tow event in the F-150. (previous road testing yielded around 15.5 MPG in stop and go and around 17 MPG in rural two-lane driving).

Module #3 brought durability and safety to the forefront. In this module, we were able to see frame flex, box twist, and the safety features built in to the new 2009 F-150. First, let’s discuss safety.

It was very clear that Ford noted that large portions of F-150 owners are family folks where safety is paramount. Many owners utilize their trucks during the day for a job function but then come home to a family and go out to dinner. For this type of a buyer, it’s very clear that Ford listened to concerns about safety in a truck. The 09 F features side curtain, seat-based, and front air bags. Additionally, the frame was slightly extended to offer additional impact area. The frame also featured various crumple zones to keep an extreme frontal crash on the exterior and out of the cab.

The second purpose of this module was to demonstrate durability. While other manufacturers tout a reinforced frame or a similar ‘boxed’ frame, it was clear that the F’s frame was the leader. In a dramatic demonstration, a large weight was used to ‘flex’ the frame of each of the Toyota, Ram, and Ford. By lowering a weight, a highly sensitive system was used to measure deflection. The Toyota was last and flexed in a huge way whereas the Ford was clearly the leader with the least amount of torsional flex.

To further demonstrate this, we went out to the track again and tested each of the trucks in the ‘Silver Creek’ area of MPG. Silver Creek #1 and Silver Creek #2 tracks were used to show the flex and box movement of each of the trucks. Silver Creek #1 is so harsh on a vehicle that Ford drivers are only allowed to test on this track up to 9 times in a day. It’s rough – I went down it with a Ford driver. It beats you out of your seat and then some.

Rather than talking about all of the ins and outs of what we did, here are the videos that sell it. Each link goes to Youtube.

1. Chevy Silverado versus F-150
2. Dodge Ram versus F-150
3. Toyota Tundra versus F-150

Impressive, huh? That tells the story. Want a Tundra on that type of terrain? Ram Box or not, it doesn’t do much good if you can’t keep the stuff in the back of the truck. While this testing is extreme, it certainly tells a very clear-cut story.

Another very obvious item that I noted while we were driving the Silver Creek #2 course was the noise in the cab. It was quite clear that Ford had an advantage with regards to noise when getting beat to death. It was very quiet and, again, my instructor and I could carry on a very normal chat while the suspension system sucked up the abuse. It wasn’t a cakewalk but, when you’re not on the course, this thing feels like a car – in fact, was it a car? No nibble at all.

The Fourth and Final Module was Agility while loaded. This was the slalom course that emphasized the importance stability and agility while loaded by pushing the trucks through a very tight slalom course that forced quick movements. The course top speed was set at 35mph but, that was plenty considering that it was a tight course. As we powered through in each of the competitions vehicles, it was very clear that the F was the easy leader during the tests. The Silverado tended to get loose in the rear whereas both the Ram and Tundra simply were sloppy when quick steering was necessary. In an added perk, I was able to take a hot lap with one of the onsite Ford drivers. While I thought I pushed the truck, it was quite clear that I was not even near pushing the F. This guy could drive! Wow.

The clear winner, even after driving different wheel/tire combinations from the competition was the F. In fact, there wasn’t another truck that offered the quick handling abilities that the Ford offered. It steered fantastically well; much better than the any of the competition. The traction control system was quite evident during the hot lap because, I feel very confident that we would’ve been spinning around in the competition. The F stayed firm on the road and refused to get loose. It was something to sit in there with the amount of force that was being presented to the truck and not feel the rear move. Simply put, it stuck every turn and responded with high precision. While it was short of a sports car, lets remember that this was a fully loaded truck!

OTHER INFORMATION

Trim levels that are to be produced are:

1. XL
2. STX
3. XLT
4. FX4
5. LARIAT
6. KING RANCH
7. PLATINUM

Also available will be the XFE – the fuel efficiency edition.

There are enough options and combos to drive most people to drink, I believe that each individual will find something that is right for them. For example, if you’re a contractor or have the need to haul lots of ‘items’ in your bed, Ford is introducing a product called Tool Link. Tool Link utilizes inexpensive RFID (radio frequency identification) tags that, once programmed, tell the onboard computer what items are in the box. So, if you’re going out to do a framing job, you can tell the onboard computer (indash) what tools that you’d need and can set up a list. From that list, it’ll tell you what is in the box and what isn’t. This system is equally as important when you’re leaving a jobsite as you can quickly account for everything that has a RFID tag so that you don’t leave an expensive saw or piece of equipment behind.

Also new, and part of the Ford Work Solutions system, is the aforementioned onboard computer. The computer is capable of wirelessly printing invoices, estimates, and other items while you’re in the cab. Again, this is a huge item for those who live out of their truck for their life.

Ford Work Solutions also includes a system known as Crew Chief that allows you to track your equipped fleet and know where they are within the area. You can set up geo-fences and have it notify you if one of your units leaves the area. Lastly, the FWS system has an optional Cable Lock system for the bed. This system can be snaked through your tools and other items in the box of the truck offering another layer of security. The FWS system is an industry first and is incredibly simple and integrated. Why didn’t someone think of this before now? This will be a hot item, in my opinion, for contractor-type folks who depend on their truck and tools. These were optional features and required subscriptions.

Another highlight in the 2009 is the cargo management system. The system has two side rails and rails at the top of the box. The rails are mounted on the vertical surface and offer unsurpassed cargo stability. The system will hold a significantly greater amount of weight than the systems offered by the competition. Also, the bed extender system is now a molded plastic type of system that folds against the side of the box. So, for those of us who are familiar with the old tubular style, this will be a clear winner in that we won’t have to continuously pull the extender out of the truck and take up room in the garage. This is a very nice item! Last from the box area offers an optional side bed step as well as a tailgate step system ala Super Duty.

The new optional Sony navigation system was very slick and very large. I was nothing but impressed by the overall sound quality and the look of the system. Also, with Microsoft Sync, Ford is in a class by itself with integrated systems that can do everything except order you dinner – oh, wait a minute, you really could use this system to order dinner because you can have in-cab internet, up to date gas prices, and directions to any hole-in-the-wall diner on the planet. This is a VERY nice system. Oh yes, Sirius is in there as another option.

Platinum w/ Nav – Sorry Didn’t get a better pic:

King Ranch w/o the Nav:

For a listing of all the other configurations, options, and goodies that you can get from your new 2009 F-150, visit ford.com; it’s unfathomable how many configurations you can pull out.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Quality. We hear it beat from a continual drum all of the time from all of the automakers; Ford means it. While anything that is mass-produced will have an occasional dud, Ford is utilizing the new Model Quality Center at the historic Rouge Site as a key point to ensuring top quality in the new F-150.

The Center is located in the former Dearborn Glass Plant, it is designed to take quality-focused manufacturing to the next level. In this center, employees can be subjected to a very realistic manufacturing environment that can be used to train, hone, and even work out bugs on the manufacturing line at the Dearborn Manufacturing Facility. Everything, down to the rise and lower lifts where the F-150 is built throughout the manufacturing process, is in place to ensure an environment identical to that of the factory.

This is a full replica with wires only so that technicians can train on the electrical system of the new F-150:

Paint check station:

Frame station (not sure what those wheels go with – I thought that was interesting):

Drivetrain:

One of the mules. Ford drove the test trucks/mules for several million miles as part of testing prior to going to production:

F-Series Heritage. This mural was on the wall within the Quality Center and was painted by one of the employees from the line:

The interior comfort standards have been raised from that of the last truck. The rear seat on the crew boasts an additional 6 inches of passenger space (accomplished by extending the front doors by the same length). The seats were much more comfortable and the trim accents on the boutique models were very nice touches.

Overall, the truck felt like a good time. It wasn’t a sports car and we didn’t do any straight-line testing with timed runs but it was noticeably quicker than what my 2005 will do as stock. While Titan and Dodge still will offer around 70 or more horse power on comparably equipped models, the testing that we conducted during the media day event continually showed that this wasn’t necessarily the end-all type of thing that a person should consider when going out to buy a new truck. I can say with great certainty that the Tundra felt cheap, sounded cheap, was very sluggish when steering, and was easily out performed during our testing (just look at the durability videos of the frame flex!). The Dodge was very low on the hauling side and the Chevrolet left quite a bit to be wanted with regards to really sticking in a curve or tight maneuver during the slalom course.

All in all, the 2009 F-150 Ride & Drive event was a true torture test of a display. From full-fledge four-wheeling to towing to hauling to beating the living crud out of the truck, we saw exactly what they meant for a truck to be “Built Ford Tough”. It’s not just a motto; they mean it and take it very seriously. Ford has taken a pretty big “bet” on the new F and has shown that they are very focused on continually making each F-Series truck the best; not close to the best but, the BEST.

Ford has now laid a bunch of cards on the table with the new F-150… Toyota, Chevrolet, Dodge – you’re on notice; the bar has been raised. Try to keep up, will ya?

Last edited by Rockpick; 10-20-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you had fun! Great write-up and very thorough. I like the looks of the new F150 and can't wait to see more on the road. I do agree that Ford had raised the bar and am anxious to see if GMC, Dodge, and Toyota can meet their standards.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Awesome write up RP. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
During the drive back to Bay 1, I was taken down several roads where I had not previously been. Looking out to the left, I spotted a truck on a flatbed under a cover. I have no idea what it was or what it was there to do but it was clear that it wasn’t to be seen. Naturally, I asked about it to which I had a reply of “We make trucks?” I don’t know what it was but it wasn’t nearly as big as a Super Duty and was more along the lines of a standard cab version of something. I only had about 2 or 3 seconds of ‘see it’ time. I guess the mystery will have to continue on that one.
could it have been the new raptor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw70AWfPvsw

Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Very nice. That platinum looks dam sexy.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Maybe? Might have been the F100.... Might have been a Chevy S10 that was there for testing... may have been a Mitsubishi Raider...

Who knows... I really wish I could've got the guy to talk more but, he was *very* tight lipped.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice writeup RP, I just wish Ford would have been able to offer the 6.2l engine & then we could truly state that us Ford owners have the best all around truck. I still wouldn't buy anything else but a newer Fx4 if I could but I truly love my truck now.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Suspended
One of the best write-ups I have ever read- on anything. Good work you lucky jerk!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Just something I noticed: At 1:04, it shows the rim of the Raptor, which identically matches RP's picture of just the frame where he says, "Frame station (not sure what those wheels go with – I thought that was interesting)."

Very, very interesting.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 PM
really nice write up! i tend not to read long posts because they bore me but this was really well written and informative, thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the great write-up RP!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Didn't expect anything less. Ford has made the best truck for so long they'd really have to drop the ball big time to screw it up. The Plat sure is a beautiful truck, the glossy b-pillars alone make it worth the extra money. If it wasn't for the lack of EcoBoost... Ah well, 2010 isn't that far off.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the in-depth article!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Excellent write-up RP! It's nice to see the new options Ford is offering, like the cargo management system. Are the power cab steps a factory option now?

No surprise, but still good to see the performance results vs. the competition. The new interior looks sweet! Not crazy about the grill/headlights, and those nasty taillights.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow!

Well done!

Quick Reply: The 2009 Ford F-150 First Drive