The 2009 Ford F-150 First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I asked that *exact* question... the answer I got was that the Super Duty was available in the HD.

I then asked if we could expect to see a F-150 version of the HD which was met by a very grey and convoluted answer.

I was left with the impression that it would likely occur. Maybe they'd stuff the 6.2 in it?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Moderator &

Sorry, Tung. I missed your questions... let me give them a 'go'.

Originally Posted by Tungstontiller
Rockpick,

Great article, great pictures, well organized document. I am very fond of my 07' F150, I am glad to be a Ford owner. I am glad Ford seems to be reversing previous trends, especially Quality, and "Want-ability".

However, red flags flew when reading your article. Now my pessimistic side will show. This smells funny. So I'm forced to ask a few critical questions:
Good deal. I'm going to chop up your posts into individual quotes with answers to immediately follow.

1. What is your trade or occupation? As I read the article, how it was laid out, the structure, grammar, and abundance of descriptive adjectives made me wonder.
I'm a geologist by trade but primarily manage an environmental compliance program for a Fortune 10 (yes, ten) large appliance manufacturer located on a site that is approximately 1,000-acres in size. The generic term for my position would be 'environmental consultant'.

2. Who took all the pictures? They look great, high res., nice backgrounds, almost posed pictures. Did Ford provide these, if not, what kind of Camera was used?
Most were taken by me. A few of the others (mainly the overheating, mud-caked ones) were taken by the owner of ifitsgotanengine.com. (see footnote credit)

3. How did you remember so much detail? Did you take notes, or did Ford provide brochures and technical data?
My 'real' job requires extensive thought, rationale, and comprehension. While there was quite a bit of technical data given to us, much of what was regurgitated in my article was from my memory.

4. How many other participants were at the "Ride and Drive Event"? Do you know any of their backgrounds or occupations?
The event was held during a full week and was by invite from Ford. I cannot attest to the other sessions but, my group was approximately 25 persons. Most of these individuals were 'high end' media guys associated with some of North America's most powerful news outlets. These media folks included individuals from, but not limited to: the Detroit Press, Edmunds.com, New York Times, Chicago Sun, and oodles of freelance automotive writers (and a few of us 'pee-ons').

4. Did Ford always use the model that was "ideal" for the 'modules’?
Generally, yes. The 4-wheel drive module was in a stock FX4. Trailer tow was performed in a truck equipped with the Max Tow package. Competition vehicles were also equipped with tow packages.

The slalom course featured multiple variations with different wheel sizes and sidewall configurations. This was true on the competiton trucks as well. They were focused on allowing us to 'experience' the varying 'roll' that was created at high-speed reaction-style moves in each of the trucks.

5. Did they provide any models or displays of their "test" vehicles for viewing or driving? They test drive these new models a substantial amount before, pre-release events, like your "Ride and Drive". How have the seats held up after 100k. What does an FX4 ride like after 100 trips through the Cattail bog?
We were able to view one of the mules at the training center. I cannot tell you how many miles that it had previously rolled but, I can confirm that it was a 'mule'. None of the vehicles that we were utilizing were 'high-mileage' vehicles but, the 4x4 session featured the same FX4's all week; or so we were told.

Being that I started in the 4x4 module, I can tell you that the truck I climbed in to was far from detailed and still featured smeared mud and a dirty windshield. It had seen mud before I sat in it.

6. How many hours did it take your to prepare this document, did anyone else assist you in the writing, or editing?
All me. I put it together in a few hours. I do quite a bit of technical writing in my aforementioned 'real' job so, stuff like this will roll out pretty readily. What I always struggle with is the final editing. I am the writer and editor on many of my submittals to clients or to federal/state EPA as a Senior Project Manager.

<snip>

I don't ask these questions to smear, or flame. But your writing and presentation seemed too polished, posed, and staged.
No offense taken, perceived, or interpreted. Nothing was 'staged' or pre-written. It's all my somewhat biased opinion and experience with no candy-coating or foo-foo dust added.

Thanks for reading my humble opinion and questions.
Respectfully,
-Tung
You bet.

PS- In the interior picture "Platinum Edition with navigation" what is located on the A-pillar?
Good question... I believe it's a tweeter.

Last edited by Rockpick; 11-15-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Moderator &

I neglected to cite the camera that was utilized.

For my photos, a Nikon D40x was used (I only have a couple of lenses and am FAR from a 'photographer'). As for the 'ifithasanengine', I cannot remember. I do remember that it was a point and shoot style camera.

Also, I have a bunch of Ford-issued 'media' photographs. Unfortunately though, I don't have them with me as the thumb drive which was distributed by Ford is in my desk at work.

I will try to get that done on Monday and will link them in here.

Thanks again for the kudos!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great Job, very informative. Will there be a 2009 with an SC?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by MeanGene
Great Job, very informative. Will there be a 2009 with an SC?
Nothing within this realm was discussed during the event I attended.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome job! That write up almost tempts me to forge the mortgage and buy a truck instead :P

Old 12-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Slimline
Awesome job! That write up almost tempts me to forge the mortgage and buy a truck instead :P
Ha! It's your cash. Spend it wisely!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Moderator &

Here are some additional photographs...

Ford Work Solutions:

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Moderator &

Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Moderator &

Lots of FoMoCo Media-provided photographs here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...otographs.html

Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They ought to embed that printer into that shelf thing on top of the dash.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Moderator &

They did a little demo for us where we got to play with the Tool Link and the other Work Solutions products at the Ride & Drive... in a nutshell -- WOW.

The RFID tag thing (tool link) is one of the smartest (and most simplistic) ideas ever to go into a pick-up, in my opinion. The RFID tags are super cheap and identify what tools are in your bed (pending they're tagged).

One of the Engineers told me to hop out, go grab something out of the truck's box and lay it on the ground outside of the truck. I grabbed a Dewalt drill... He, of course, bet me that he'd be able to tell me what I pulled out... of course, he won (I didn't bet him though) because, by the time I got back in the truck, he had already run a scan and said that I'd removed the drill...

As for the printing and Crew Chief stuff -- again, WOW. A contractor that is using his truck can print information, invoices, and all kinds of stuff RIGHT FROM THEIR FRONT SEAT - just like that picture illustrates.

The system is ultra cool and will pay for itself (for the right type of person) very quickly -- I mean, leaving behind a miter saw or a drill is pretty expensive; pretty fast!

-RP-

Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockpick,

I appologize for my delayed response. Thanks for your comprehensive response.
Glad to see you weren't participating with an hidden agenda.

Sounds like a great truck and fun event to participate in.
Next time their looking for an extra, or your not available, keep me in mind! (hint, hint)
-Tung

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Tungstontiller
Rockpick,

I appologize for my delayed response. Thanks for your comprehensive response.
Glad to see you weren't participating with an hidden agenda.

Sounds like a great truck and fun event to participate in.
Next time their looking for an extra, or your not available, keep me in mind! (hint, hint)
-Tung
Not a problem, Tung! I was wondering if I was going to hear back from you!

Rest assured that I'll dramatically rearrange my schedule for the opportunity to do something like that again. It was absolutely incredible...

Thanks again for the kudos.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Moderator &

Hard to believe that it's been OVER 5 years... we'll see the 2015 on lots in the VERY near future. In the meantime, I've loved my 2012 KR Ecoboost!

Sorry for digging up an old one... was kind of reminiscing.

Quick Reply: The 2009 Ford F-150 First Drive