Why are the NAV updates so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are the NAV updates so expensive?

I hardly ever use the NAV unit in my '09 FX4. I usually get a letter in the mail once a year or so with an offer to update the NAV for $200. I've just ignored them in the past.

Now I just got one with a discount for $150. I may be using it some more in the future and am thinking about biting the bullet. I just need to understand why these updates are so expensive compared to buying a good standalone unit. I really like the idea of having a factory built in unit but just don't understand the high update price. Is there something special our NAV units do that I am not aware of compared to the stand alone units?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM
They are kinda' saying....we got ya'.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You just named the single biggest reason why I will never buy a vehicle with factory Nav system in it! Besides the ridiculous initial price, I'm not about to pay more EVERY year for an update than what it would costs to buy a completely new, similar commercial GPS.

Welcome to the world of sole sourcing!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Each manufacturer has their own software, so they have to be rewritten to comply with other on board computers.

Not to mention the maps are written by a big company, then Ford writes it, then your local dealer wants in on the profits. Too many middle men.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the replies folks - I guess it is what it is.........

It would be kind of nice if the NAV could find my own house - just have to figure out if it's worth $150 for it to do that - or even if it would then......

Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
If you house was built in the last 24 months it likely will not be on the current updated disk

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And that is exactly why I use Google Maps / Navigation on my smartphone...

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
My house was built around 1932 - the NAV won't even take my road name which is the most traveled state road through my county.

Smart phone - don't own one as there is no cell service around here......

Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
And that is exactly why I use Google Maps / Navigation on my smartphone...
I do the same thing. It is quick and easy. And the best part, free. Aside of the monthly Verizon bill.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I do the same thing. It is quick and easy. And the best part, free. Aside of the monthly Verizon bill.
I got a suction cup thingy from Amazon that holds my phone. I used it for a while, but found that I can simply put the phone in the cup holder and listen to the directions and I am good to go... Again, free, MUCH more frequent updates than say Garmin, or whoever, Google seems to always have their maps / street view cars / cameras out all the time.

Yes I had previously considered factory / in dash GPS but around the time I got my truck I also had my first phone with GPS, this was admittedly pre smart phone days, it was a Sony Ericcson phone with AT&T Navigation service at the time, it worked so well that the old Garmin Nuvi I had went into a drawer and stayed there... I don't think I could find that old Garmin now if I tried...

Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by stormtech
My house was built around 1932 - the NAV won't even take my road name which is the most traveled state road through my county.

Smart phone - don't own one as there is no cell service around here......
Just out of curiosity, I assume your location name of Penna must be either a typo, or slang for Pennsylvania. I assume most of your neighbors are Amish... That would explain the lack of cellular coverage..

Old 07-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
Just out of curiosity, I assume your location name of Penna must be either a typo, or slang for Pennsylvania. I assume most of your neighbors are Amish... That would explain the lack of cellular coverage..
Yes - Pennsylvania. Amish communities aren't too far away at around 60 miles away, but my lack of cell service is due only because of mountains. There is service in the nearest 1 horse town which is 9 miles away, then pretty solid service from the next town and beyond 20 miles away. Even the truck's GPS and satellite radio go in and out on some roads around here.

My in-laws live in a very large Amish area and cell service is actually very good there being it is almost all farm land and flat.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Here's the standard Verizon coverage map zoom in at the North East - I put an arrow showing my general area. As you can see there is a lot of white on the map showing no coverage due to the mountains.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stormtech
Here's the standard Verizon coverage map zoom in at the North East - I put an arrow showing my general area. As you can see there is a lot of white on the map showing no coverage due to the mountains.

Neat, I live in the Tioga County area, Mansfield to be more specific! I have family out in Coutersport, it is quite rural out that ways. Peaceful though. My cell service is decent in my area, 4G service and such, until on RT.15.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Neat, I live in the Tioga County area, Mansfield to be more specific! I have family out in Coutersport, it is quite rural out that ways. Peaceful though. My cell service is decent in my area, 4G service and such, until on RT.15.
I've been to Mansfield a couple times - beautiful little town and area. I am about 1 hour south of Coudersport.

Quick Reply: Why are the NAV updates so expensive?