Why are the NAV updates so expensive?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At $150-200 , easily go out and buy a standalone unit. But so is everything you purchase from ford [parts & accessories] Huge profit !! You'd think being competitive would be the proper way to support an individual who just spent 10's of thousands of $$$'s to buy your product.

Back to the Navigation thing. I've seen several mentions of the maps being on Disc. Anyone know the deal on this? My Wife's VW CC was a one time load of a disc. remove disc and it's worked since day one.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by ChillyCat
Back to the Navigation thing. I've seen several mentions of the maps being on Disc. Anyone know the deal on this?
The Maps come on 1 or 2 DVD's, I have factory nav in my 2010. Only reason I do have it is I bought the truck used. Instructions says 3-ish hours on the install for the maps.

Map Install

I might order the update now that I see it's on sale for $150

Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Backnblack_66
The Maps come on 1 or 2 DVD's
You answered a question, before I had time to ask: Does the touchscreen accept DVD media ? :yes:

Like Ma's VW CC touchscreen, once the single nav DVD loads up......never used again. Obviously, there's some kinda internal storage.

Does the Ford touchy do the same? Then it would free the SD slot for other use.

Even the discounted price of $150 is outlandish. [DVD or SD] Might give some,
a justifiable reason to seek alternative methods to obtain such software.
Not that I could possibly have knowledge of such things.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech
My house was built around 1932 - the NAV won't even take my road name which is the most traveled state road through my county.

Smart phone - don't own one as there is no cell service around here......
You may have hit on something here.... Is the road name:"What everyone calls it"? Or: "What it's been called for a hundred years"? What is the actual labeled name on the road map? Get what I'm saying? Google doesn't think of it as Beaver-bang road, they think of it as Rural Route 22b, or US 36c- understand what I'm saying? If that road has been there since 1932, I guaranty it's in there somewhere. BTW, Navigation has NOTHING to do with cell towers- it's a satellite based system- mountains don't block satellites.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Not intending to necro post/bump but something I didn't see anyone mention regarding this thread's topic was to simply buy a slightly older disc off say craigslist or ebay. We found out w/ my wife's 09 MDX about the GPS update racketeering they run at Acura and other companies. At the time the 2015 update was 250ish, got an offer for 150... I bought the 2014 on Craigslist for 75.00.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are the NAV updates so expensive?