2013 Kenwood DNX/DNN and Maestro - Sync Retention and More
Wanted to post an update on the new features and updates to the Kenwood/Maestro Ford Interface Solution. For referenced pictures, please see my album.
Sorry for the lengthy post. While Maestro can be used with any radio for basic radio replacement and steering wheel functions, in order to retain Sync and do the everything else described below, Maestro must be installed with one of the 2013 Kenwood DNN or DNX Navigation radios. These range from $850 for the most basic unit to $1700 for the Android based, connected model (Separate thread in here about that unit already).
As mentioned in many posts, we'd love to work with other radio brands, but there is R&D required and they need to hear from customers that they want these kinds of solutions to make the decision to do it. If you want <> radio to work with Maestro, write or post to them and ask them for it.
Now on to the stuff:
1. All models come with a dedicated port for Maestro (see album) - You can now add Maestro AND install an aftermarket satellite radio tuner at the same time. No more choices.
2. Sync interface has been improved - Browse the media library, access the entire Sync menu system, access voice commands from button on screen.
3. Secondary display - Remains active and will show meta data not only for the Ford sources (Sync, phone, etc) but for the Kenwood sources too! RDS data in tuner, meta data in CD/DVD and iPod/USB screens.
Note: We cannot retain clock as it's inside the radio you remove and KW radio does not tell us the time. Hope to get this next cycle.
4. Vehicle info screen (see album) - New screen that will show you tire pressure at each tire for the factory TPMS. Also, any open door and battery voltage. In addition, if you get a check engine light, you can see the code and attempt to clear it.
5. Gauges screen (see album) - Pick any 5 gauges from a list of custom gauges and add them to a screen in the radio.
Not so relevant for Ford Trucks, but required for Mustangs
6. Climate screen (see album) - Full climate integration right in the radio. We are investigating if we can duplicate the climate controls in the OEM navigation in Ford Trucks and put them here as well. Some are not accessible from the HVAC controls and others would be redundant. For now, this screen is disabled in trucks, but we will likely enable it in future. Just re-program Maestro when we do and the screen will become active.
Hope you all like! If you already own Maestro and just want to do a radio upgrade, you can! Just reflash Maestro on internet and let us know so we can send you the two cables you need to connect with the new radio.