Nexus 7 tablet mount on 2004 with no cutting or drilling w/ pics

Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nexus 7 tablet mount on 2004 with no cutting or drilling w/ pics

This is a fairly easy way to mount a nexus 7 tablet or possibly other tablets where the dash can be restored to factory without custom holes or cuts. I'm not going too in-depth since I only took a few pics of the finished product but feel free to ask any questions.

list of materials

nexus 7
nexus 7 dock
aux jack converter (if aux port is not available on your vehicle)
external 12v port (available at any auto store)
usb adapter for 12v port
usb cords
sheet metal
Velcro
double faced tape

First step is to install the aux converter and 12v port

this is the aux converter box i mounted it on top of cup holder tray with velcro.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the external 12v port and usb adapter I bought one with two ports one port that can supply 2.1 amps for the tablet and the other port that supplies 1.0 amp for my phone.

I spliced both the converter and 12v port into the cig 12v port shown here I would of spliced them in together but I had the converter installed years ago. So I just had to install the extra 12v port.

Since i didn't take any pics for the shelf that i fabbed up here is a pic of it done and installed. In the back there is a 90 degree bend that is only a 1/4 inch or so that grabs the back of the plastic cover and it just sneaks under the factory stereo. the sides are attached to the plastic with double sided tape. I made the shelf out of .040 aluminum, I sure steel is fine to use also. Whatever you have lying around that isn't too thick or thin should work. Then velcro was placed on top and also on the bottom of the dock. The cords can be routed through the side of the cover as shown.

Next fab up some tabs to help secure the tablet to the dock because the dock wasn't made to hold the tablet in over bumps. I originally tried one bracket in the center but wasn't enough so now i have two, one each side, if this doesn't prove well Ill line one bracket whole way across. I used velcro for the bracket to tablet and this plastic style velcro which holds better from dock to bracket so when you pull the tablet away from the dock the bracket doesn't come with it. I also purchased a right angled micro usb cord to make install a bit tighter. Got that at newegg.com for around 5 bucks.

Now just hook it all up. and mount the dock at a good viewing angle and enjoy. Now if you sell your vehicle you can easily make it look stock again or sell it with it.

[IMG]https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0129131122.jpg[/IMG]

Hopefully this helps out anyone else thinking about doing something the same or similar.

Last edited by duder; 01-29-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You gotta find a different way to hide those wires. That is rough looking !!

Neat idea though.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM
well can run the spare charger cable behind and into the glove box. I actually using another stereo cable that has a smaller jack head and is also black. If you tuck the wires in more you can barely tell that they are there. I wanted to do it this way because I am planning on switching to another vehicle so didn't want to mutilate the dash at all. I'm actually quite pleased with the setup so far. It only takes about five minutes to return to stock.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Great idea in placing that tablet inside your car.I'm planning to get Nexus 7 tablet next month, is it cool?
kirktech

Last edited by liz1; 04-11-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM
I really enjoy the tablet. I can wifi teather my android phone to it so I can have internet pretty much anywhere. I still need to find a better way to secure the tablet in the docking station better because the velcro is wearing out and over bumps it can lose contact with the dock. One of these days when I can get around to it ill figure out something. Other than that i really can't complain.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a follow up to this, I seen reports that the Nexus 7 dock is no longer available at the Play Store. Looks like we are due for a new tablet.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Yea kind of a bummer that the new nexus tab won't fit in the same dock.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 PM
The wires look a bit messy but it's understandable. I'll give you an A+ for the effort and concept though.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Like it nice job !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nexus 7 tablet mount on 2004 with no cutting or drilling w/ pics