Swap OEM radio for OEM Nav

Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salinger
I taught that the 2011 Lariat came std with OEM Ford NAV and the 8" touch screen?
For My 2011 FX4 this was an option...
I swap a 2011 Lariat NAV on my FX4. Took me 40 hrs to study the different electrical schematics with/without the NAV and do the Job.
The main problem was to jump/reroute most of the wiring from the FX4 modules to the Lariat NAV modules for this, since some modules pinout aren't the same. Also, the Info module and the NAV are quite different. The only plug that remain th same is the HVAC (climate) plug. Even for the voice guidance will request a different pattern to the Sony Amp.
I got all the electrical wiring and made a cross reference sheet for the pinout. PM me if you need those. You will need good electronic skills and a lot of patience to attempt this swap to work. Ford didn't made this one easy and their intension was requesting us to upgrade to a different truck model for this NAV option.
Thanks for the offer but I bit the bullet and bought a month subscription to Motorcraftservice.com . I have then made a pinout spread sheet to help me.
To answer my earlier comment, the extra connector is C290B ( NAV display on the radio )and it is specific to nav radios.
Nav was an option on the Lariat. This swap is considerably easier since my truck has the Sony Radio, dual climate control, and the heated / cooled seats
You are correct in the fact that there is a still rather large amount of pin changes that will need to be made. I have cheated and bought replacement whips for C2109A & C2109B (Nav DTAC Brick), but will still need to do a lot of work on the Audio side.

Note: This has taken considerably more effort than changing parts. As Salinger states you will need patience and good electronics schematics skills. For those considering this option, get the month subscription to Motorcraftservice.com well worth the $20.

Last edited by 11Lariattx; 07-21-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 PM
When I got my 2009 Lariat I was going to get the OEM NAV. Can't easily be done.
Only to find out that the entire dash wiring needs to be replaced. as well as other internal wiring. Cost was over $2000 not including the $2500 NAV unit.
I went aftermarket and never looked back. Even with the top of the line Pioneer Avic, I didn't spend more than $850.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sopher
When I got my 2009 Lariat I was going to get the OEM NAV. Can't easily be done.
Only to find out that the entire dash wiring needs to be replaced. as well as other internal wiring. Cost was over $2000 not including the $2500 NAV unit.
I went aftermarket and never looked back. Even with the top of the line Pioneer Avic, I didn't spend more than $850.
I'm in for only $950 and it includes additional parts and harnesses that I have listed. (I did have to get 3 additional harness whips)

I did the partial aftermarket route for a while and didn't like it. I know that there are better, faster, and more comprehensive systems out there, but I like the factory look and the challenge of converting the system.... FWIW this mod is not for everyone, and it is still expensive as I have a mix of recycled and new parts.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I wasn't aware of this website "Motorcraftservice.com",
This is very good to know for anyone that need their truck electrical plans.
Got mine from a Ford CD manual.

Last edited by Salinger; 08-03-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: corrected
Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Well.... I got it installed today.
Three items that are not working:

1. HVAC - seats and AC - I have the correct module, so I'm hoping that this is just a program change in oasis at the dealer
2. Sync voice commands - I have not put 3 pins in the sync module as I do not have a pin that will fit the C2383 connector but am hoping to cut one out of a donor truck.
3. Nav voice - I have pinned the nav voice +/ - on the correct pins on the C3154a connector & the C290 connector, so it's either I am getting interference, or I don't have the wires shielded correctly.

It's been super hot here today so I don't think I'll try to tackle the nav voice tomorrow. I have a dealer appt scheduled Monday, and I'll just have to figure something out on the sync connector.

All in 20 hours - $950 - would I change what I did = not a snow ***** chance in hell.

Last edited by 11Lariattx; 08-01-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 AM
20 Hrs is half the time it took me to study the plans & make the job. Very good!

1- I dont think the climate control module need any programming - Mine just work fine after jumping the wires to the correct module.
2- For the voice command, you may need to reroute the wiring pinout on the connector. You will need a needle in order to remove the spring latch of the wire in the connector.
3- For the NAV Voice, make sure you are dealing with C290A connector (the largest connector on the ACM module). Pin2 is for NAV+, pin3 for shield and pin 14 for NAV-.
As shown on the wiring plan, this is for the 2011 truck version. Be aware of the wiring plan for proper truck year and version since some pinout change depending on equipments.

Last edited by Salinger; 08-03-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by 11Lariattx
Well.... I got it installed today.
Three items that are not working:

1. HVAC - seats and AC - I have the correct module, so I'm hoping that this is just a program change in oasis at the dealer
2. Sync voice commands - I have not put 3 pins in the sync module as I do not have a pin that will fit the C2383 connector but am hoping to cut one out of a donor truck.
3. Nav voice - I have pinned the nav voice +/ - on the correct pins on the C3154a connector & the C290 connector, so it's either I am getting interference, or I don't have the wires shielded correctly.

It's been super hot here today so I don't think I'll try to tackle the nav voice tomorrow. I have a dealer appt scheduled Monday, and I'll just have to figure something out on the sync connector.

All in 20 hours - $950 - would I change what I did = not a snow ***** chance in hell.
Ok.... Additional insights now that I'm sitting in the dealer waiting room:
1. Get a donor vin - must be " to what your truck came with, but with Nav.
The dealer is having trouble programming my module. I now get to go check my connections.....

Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Salinger
20 Hrs is half the time it took me to study the plans & make the job. Very good!

1- I dont think the climate control module need any programming - Mine just work fine after jumping the wires to the correct module.
2- For the voice command, you may need to reroute the wiring pinout on the connector. You will need a needle in order to remove the spring latch of the wire in the connector.
3- For the NAV Voice, make sure you are dealing with C290A connector (the largest connector on the ACM module). Pin2 is for NAV+, pin3 for shield and pin 14 for NAV-.
As shown on the wiring plan, this is for the 2011 truck version. Be aware of the wiring plan for proper truck year and version since some pinout change depending on equipments.
1. You are correct, and after your post (I was still at the dealer at the time) I realized that it wouldn't need the dealer after all.
I feel really stupid, as the fix was a fuse, and it cost me $122. To the dealers credit, they did look at it twice and only charged me for once. The tech felt kinda bad for me and gave me the tip that led me to checking the fuse. (Epic)
A Donor VIN is not required, but Im glad I found one just in case

2. I have the Pins correct on the C290(x) connector, but do not have pin(s) for the C2383 connector. (APIM) (SYNC Module) Everything is working, but without a whip / pin into the C2383 connector, its not working fully. Dealer wanted to sell me an entire dash harness, I said no thanks, I'll find a donor truck. We can live without NAV / SYNC voice commands for now. We can still use the phone and other bluetooth related items...

3. Nav Voice was a simple fix. I used a t-tap at the C3154a connector that did not bite. I managed to cut the harness and wire in directly. (Now working)

I also managed to get the rearview camera working (did not list in previous posts) by tapping the C210 connection. I now have video on both the NAV and the mirror.

I'm now up to 28 hours, and $1150. Not too bad considering that this was a $2400 option from the factory. Thanks for all of the help and support out there

Old 12-27-2015, 01:13 PM
OEM navigation unit

I have a complete upgrade kit for 2009-2012 Ford F-150 OEM navigation. I just bought all of the parts and went to a ford dealership for a state inspection and got a steal on a superduty so I don't need to upgrade my FX4. I purchased parts from oem autoparts and a Ford dealership. The Ford brick upgrade kit, backup camera harness and GPS antenna are from OEM auto parts, bezel and F9L3Z-10E929-A
WIRE is from a Ford dealership. I bought the OEM navigation unit on eBay. I am asking $2000 that is what I paid for all the parts including the nav unit. The unit has a brand-new screen still has the plastic on the screen which was replaced by Navrepair due to fingerprints from normal wear. I wanted a clean look so I had Navrepair replace the screen. If anyone is interested please email me.
gpny124@yahoo.com

Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Noob here, just found and joined this site today but for all interested I've been looking for a good way to add oem nav to my 09 KR and found it on a new site "infotainment.com" the nav, upgrade brick, and lock pick with all connections around $2,200 guaranteed to work like factory install. What I'm saving for. Looking for a way to get auto-up/down on windows now, anyone know how to do that? Thanks, reefracer.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Looks like the "4dtech.com" has pretty much the same stuff except for the lock pick for around $1,500 so there seem to be some good options coming available lately.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:28 PM
If you want a Ford unit call infotainment.com and check their website, not cheap but made to work as supposed to from the factory, happy with mine in my 09.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Backup camera

I am going to replace the 6 CD head unit with a aftermarket navigation unit in my 2011 F-150 platinum. Will I be able to integrate the backup camera to the unit or will I be stuck with it being in the rearview mirror?

Old 07-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Would love to know what you did to do this!!

Originally Posted by TK5
Have you looked into the Advent Navigation Unit?

How did you fo this what unit did you use??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swap OEM radio for OEM Nav