OEM Reverse Camera Wiring

Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Reverse Camera Wiring

Does anyone know what the "shield" wire is used for on the OEM reverse camera's?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Same thing any sheild is used for.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Check my How-To for a 09 OEM camera. I did not use the shield for anything. There is not much interference for me to worry about it.

09 reverse camera

Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I need an oem camera.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
09 f150 and back up camera

Sorry post this reply to a much older message so I'm also posting it here. :o

I have a 2009 F150 with the backup camera already installed. What I didn't do was get the truck with the expensive, sony navigation system. So I have to view the backup camera through the review mirror. As you can imagine the picture is somewhat small. Has anyone installed an after market radio/navigation system that can take advantage of the back up camera already being installed ? Also, would the wiring from the camera already be installed to the dash, in the radio area or would it have only been ran to the rear view mirror ?

Thanks

Jim

Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrospopo
Has anyone installed an after market radio/navigation system that can take advantage of the back up camera already being installed ? Also, would the wiring from the camera already be installed to the dash, in the radio area or would it have only been ran to the rear view mirror ?

Thanks

Jim
Yep, I did that today. I have a 2010 Lariat with OEM camera, Sync, but no nav. The camera displays in the rearview mirror, but kinda small. I installed an aftermarket Nav/DVD system last weekend (Kenwood DNX-6160) and today finished hooking the Kenwood's reverse camera input into the OEM system. I found some wiring diagrams on the Internet. Let me try to explain how I did it:

1. Run a ~6 foot video cable from your aftermarket unit under the dash, under the steering wheel and down toward the hood release.
2. Remove the driver side left kick panel, just pull it out. You will slide it over the hood release. You will also have to lift up the plastic door sill protector (just the front) to get the panel out.
3. Remove the hood release. There is a single 8mm silver bolt. Once it is out, just slide the assembly housing up and it will come loose. Set aside.
4. Now, behind where the hood release bracket was, you should see a large black connector that has a white retaining clip. This clip can be unhooked and then rotated up to release the connector. Pull the connector out.
5. On the lower right on the connector you will see a brown wire and a brown-yellow stripe wire. These are the camera video. Brown is Video (+) and brown-yellow stripe is Video (-). I used wire taps with some short 18 gauge wire to attach to the video cable (cut off the end of the video cable - the inner cable that is also the plug's tip goes to the brown wire, the outer part of the video cable goes to brown-yellow stripe).
6. To verify you have the right set, you will notice that the two wires combine along with a another wire wrapped in black tape as they go up towards the dash. That third wire is the shield.
7. Put everything back together. Note you will have to peel the weatherstriping back to get the kickpanel cover to seat correctly.

Note, you should get the backup image (with guidelines) on both the mirror and the aftermarket unit. Make sure you connect the reverse wire to the aftermaket unit. I used the MS-FRD1 harness from PAC. It has the reverse lead built-in.

Last edited by bmwhitetx; 04-17-2010 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by bmwhitetx
Yep, I did that today. I have a 2010 Lariat with OEM camera, Sync, but no nav. The camera displays in the rearview mirror, but kinda small. I installed an aftermarket Nav/DVD system last weekend (Kenwood DNX-6160) and today finished hooking the Kenwood's reverse camera input into the OEM system. I found some wiring diagrams on the Internet. Let me try to explain how I did it:

1. Run a ~6 foot video cable from your aftermarket unit under the dash, under the steering wheel and down toward the hood release.
2. Remove the driver side left kick panel, just pull it out. You will slide it over the hood release. You will also have to lift up the plastic door sill protector (just the front) to get the panel out.
3. Remove the hood release. There is a single 8mm silver bolt. Once it is out, just slide the assembly housing up and it will come loose. Set aside.
4. Now, behind where the hood release bracket was, you should see a large black connector that has a white retaining clip. This clip can be unhooked and then rotated up to release the connector. Pull the connector out.
5. On the lower right on the connector you will see a brown wire and a brown-yellow stripe wire. These are the camera video. Brown is Video (+) and brown-yellow stripe is Video (-). I used wire taps with some short 18 gauge wire to attach to the video cable (cut off the end of the video cable - the inner cable that is also the plug's tip goes to the brown wire, the outer part of the video cable goes to brown-yellow stripe).
6. To verify you have the right set, you will notice that the two wires combine along with a another wire wrapped in black tape as they go up towards the dash. That third wire is the shield.
7. Put everything back together. Note you will have to peel the weatherstriping back to get the kickpanel cover to seat correctly.

Note, you should get the backup image (with guidelines) on both the mirror and the aftermarket unit. Make sure you connect the reverse wire to the aftermaket unit. I used the MS-FRD1 harness from PAC. It has the reverse lead built-in.
I found this post very helpful while installing my nav. So I will contribute. On my 11 lariat the wires were in the same place except the colors were different. The inner is white green and the outer is brown purple.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Can you snap some pictures of this

Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
i also used this post to help with my pioneer p4200 rear view camera....the wires were the same color and right where you said they were...could not find the backup light wire in the door seal harness so i just ran a new wire strait from the tail light rev. bulb to the fused trigger wire from the head unit....works great....had to set polarity on headunit to battery or the reverse cam kept popping up without being in reverse...so thanks for the info and the site to post it.........

Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Ok I need some help with step 6 and 7. I haven't got my kenwood 6990hd, so just trying to figure out how to make it all work. 2010 lariat Sony stereo. Backup cam is in the mirror.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
I meant 5-6! Sheesh.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
What kind of help?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Ok so in step 5 when the inside wire is the plugs tip and the outside is the brown yellow strip wire, is soldering required here. Also is this the original video cable that I'm cutting. I'm so foreign to this kind of stuff. A couple basic stereos just nothing like this. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
One more question, is a brake bypass harness used so that video playback is enabled while driving. What's the best easiest way to do this.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM
To make the connection from the Kenwood to the connector buy a standard video cable from radio shack or similar. These are called phono cables or RCA cables. You just need one. They actually sell one that has a phono plug on one end and bare leads on the other (make sure you get the tip wire and outer wire correct). The phono plug will go into your Kenwood. It has a port labeled backup cam. Then run the cable per step 5 over to the wiring harness connector. I used wire taps to connect. No soldering or cutting of the original cable is needed. The Kenwood also has a wire for brake and reverse. You need to hook up the reverse wire to a true reverse wire. The brake wire can just be attached to ground or 12V, i dont remember which, allowing you to watch video while in motion. Since you will already have to run ground and 12v to the unit just wire the brake wire from the unit into the right one. I highly recommend getting the wiring harness adapter from PAC. It gives you all the wires you need.

Last edited by bmwhitetx; 02-06-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Camera Wiring