Originally Posted by jrospopo
Has anyone installed an after market radio/navigation system that can take advantage of the back up camera already being installed ? Also, would the wiring from the camera already be installed to the dash, in the radio area or would it have only been ran to the rear view mirror ?
Yep, I did that today. I have a 2010 Lariat with OEM camera, Sync, but no nav. The camera displays in the rearview mirror, but kinda small. I installed an aftermarket Nav/DVD system last weekend (Kenwood DNX-6160) and today finished hooking the Kenwood's reverse camera input into the OEM system. I found some wiring diagrams on the Internet. Let me try to explain how I did it:
1. Run a ~6 foot video cable from your aftermarket unit under the dash, under the steering wheel and down toward the hood release.
2. Remove the driver side left kick panel, just pull it out. You will slide it over the hood release. You will also have to lift up the plastic door sill protector (just the front) to get the panel out.
3. Remove the hood release. There is a single 8mm silver bolt. Once it is out, just slide the assembly housing up and it will come loose. Set aside.
4. Now, behind where the hood release bracket was, you should see a large black connector that has a white retaining clip. This clip can be unhooked and then rotated up to release the connector. Pull the connector out.
5. On the lower right on the connector you will see a brown wire and a brown-yellow stripe wire. These are the camera video. Brown is Video (+) and brown-yellow stripe is Video (-). I used wire taps with some short 18 gauge wire to attach to the video cable (cut off the end of the video cable - the inner cable that is also the plug's tip goes to the brown wire, the outer part of the video cable goes to brown-yellow stripe).
6. To verify you have the right set, you will notice that the two wires combine along with a another wire wrapped in black tape as they go up towards the dash. That third wire is the shield.
7. Put everything back together. Note you will have to peel the weatherstriping back to get the kickpanel cover to seat correctly.
Note, you should get the backup image (with guidelines) on both the mirror and the aftermarket unit. Make sure you connect the reverse wire to the aftermaket unit. I used the MS-FRD1 harness from PAC. It has the reverse lead built-in.
Last edited by bmwhitetx; 04-17-2010 at 10:04 PM.