OEM Reverse Camera Wiring

Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I took your advice and spliced a bigger wire to the video cable first. I can now get the rear camera image on the head unit but only if I manually select to view it. There's a little interference but overall the picture is fine. Thanks for all the help with this!

I'm not sure why it won't automatically pop up when I go in reverse because I double checked and the reverse wire is definitely hooked up. It won't interrupt if the doors are opened either, but I'm not sure that's related. So my guesses are either a bad connection on the reverse wire or the reverse wire isn't connected to the truck on the other side of the maestro unit. The maestro has 3 plugs to hook into the trucks wiring, but I'm only using 2. I don't remember the instructions referencing the unused one, but there is nothing else in there that I can see that it would connect to.

I'm going to do a little searching to see if I can come up with a solution. The weather here is crap so I can't try tapping the reverse line straight into the reverse bulb instead of going thru the maestro.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check stereo setup menu

If you have a voltmeter check the alleged reverse lead from the truck. It should go from 0 to 12 volts when you put the gear in reverse.

Also there might be a setting in your stereo that enables the reverse camera. On my Kenwood DNX6160 under SETUP - AV Interface, there is a setting called R-CAM Interrupt. When this is set to OFF then the stereo does not switch to the camera when the gear is in reverse. That setting has to be ON for my camera to display on the screen when in reverse. If you have a Kenwood, then check that setting.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:17 PM
help with antenna

Originally Posted by bmwhitetx
Yep, I did that today. I have a 2010 Lariat with OEM camera, Sync, but no nav. The camera displays in the rearview mirror, but kinda small. I installed an aftermarket Nav/DVD system last weekend (Kenwood DNX-6160) and today finished hooking the Kenwood's reverse camera input into the OEM system. I found some wiring diagrams on the Internet. Let me try to explain how I did it:

1. Run a ~6 foot video cable from your aftermarket unit under the dash, under the steering wheel and down toward the hood release.
2. Remove the driver side left kick panel, just pull it out. You will slide it over the hood release. You will also have to lift up the plastic door sill protector (just the front) to get the panel out.
3. Remove the hood release. There is a single 8mm silver bolt. Once it is out, just slide the assembly housing up and it will come loose. Set aside.
4. Now, behind where the hood release bracket was, you should see a large black connector that has a white retaining clip. This clip can be unhooked and then rotated up to release the connector. Pull the connector out.
5. On the lower right on the connector you will see a brown wire and a brown-yellow stripe wire. These are the camera video. Brown is Video (+) and brown-yellow stripe is Video (-). I used wire taps with some short 18 gauge wire to attach to the video cable (cut off the end of the video cable - the inner cable that is also the plug's tip goes to the brown wire, the outer part of the video cable goes to brown-yellow stripe).
6. To verify you have the right set, you will notice that the two wires combine along with a another wire wrapped in black tape as they go up towards the dash. That third wire is the shield.
7. Put everything back together. Note you will have to peel the weatherstriping back to get the kickpanel cover to seat correctly.

Note, you should get the backup image (with guidelines) on both the mirror and the aftermarket unit. Make sure you connect the reverse wire to the aftermaket unit. I used the MS-FRD1 harness from PAC. It has the reverse lead built-in.
how do i connect the truck antenna into the kenwood DNX891?

Old 05-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Yep, I did that today. I have a 2010 Lariat with OEM camera, Sync, but no nav. The camera displays in the rearview mirror, but kinda small. I installed an aftermarket Nav/DVD system last weekend (Kenwood DNX-6160) and today finished hooking the Kenwood's reverse camera input into the OEM system. I found some wiring diagrams on the Internet. Let me try to explain how I did it:

1. Run a ~6 foot video cable from your aftermarket unit under the dash, under the steering wheel and down toward the hood release.
2. Remove the driver side left kick panel, just pull it out. You will slide it over the hood release. You will also have to lift up the plastic door sill protector (just the front) to get the panel out.
3. Remove the hood release. There is a single 8mm silver bolt. Once it is out, just slide the assembly housing up and it will come loose. Set aside.
4. Now, behind where the hood release bracket was, you should see a large black connector that has a white retaining clip. This clip can be unhooked and then rotated up to release the connector. Pull the connector out.
5. On the lower right on the connector you will see a brown wire and a brown-yellow stripe wire. These are the camera video. Brown is Video (+) and brown-yellow stripe is Video (-). I used wire taps with some short 18 gauge wire to attach to the video cable (cut off the end of the video cable - the inner cable that is also the plug's tip goes to the brown wire, the outer part of the video cable goes to brown-yellow stripe).
6. To verify you have the right set, you will notice that the two wires combine along with a another wire wrapped in black tape as they go up towards the dash. That third wire is the shield.
7. Put everything back together. Note you will have to peel the weatherstriping back to get the kickpanel cover to seat correctly.

Note, you should get the backup image (with guidelines) on both the mirror and the aftermarket unit. Make sure you connect the reverse wire to the aftermaket unit. I used the MS-FRD1 harness from PAC. It has the reverse lead built-in.
how do i connect the antenna into the kenwood DNX891? anyone

Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Finally was able to get out and take a look at the wiring and got it working correctly. Turns out I had the reverse wire connected to the wrong wire on the maestro module. Being colorblind really sucks sometimes.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 05-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Good deal, my guess was going to be the setting in the Kenwood menu. I suppose they would default it to OFF since if you don't have the r-cam hooked up it would be annoying to have a black screen when you put it in reverse!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by vain
how do i connect the antenna into the kenwood DNX891? anyone
I don't have that model, but I ordered mine thru cruthfield and an antenna adapter was part of the add on installation package.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:29 AM

I tried to go into the kick panel but it didn't work for me, can you please tell me which wire in that PAC harness is the reverse lead? I am using the same harness and having the worst time getting this thing to work.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 PM
What bmwhitetx says with work, thanks btw your infomation provided is what saved the day for me, now i'm a happy camper!

Old 09-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Bringing up this old thread again. So I have a 2009 with the stock camera attached to the screen in the mirror. I had a new screen head unit installed this week and asked that they tap the camera per these instructions. Their feedback was that the video quality would be horrible and weak since the signal would be split between the mirror and new screen. Thoughts?? For those of you that have done this, how is the quality of the video on your new screen?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Reverse camera

I put a ford unit in my 09 f150 which did not come with navigation and you tap into the harness under kick panel now both mirror and navigation give the rear camera display perfectly, whoever told you the video would be degraded don't know what they're talking about.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by reefracer
I put a ford unit in my 09 f150 which did not come with navigation and you tap into the harness under kick panel now both mirror and navigation give the rear camera display perfectly, whoever told you the video would be degraded don't know what they're talking about.
Quick Follow-up:

Backstory: I have a 2009 that came stock with the backup camera and screen in the rear view mirror. No factory screen in the dash. I added an aftermarket screen and wanted the backup camera to show up on that screen.

Result: After my local shop told me that it couldn't be done for all kinds of reasons, I followed the step by step instructions in this thread. Those instructions were for a 2010 and my concern was that my 2009 wires would be a different color. Not the case - they are the exact same. So I dug an old RCA video cable out of my 'old cable storage box', cut off an end, spliced it into the wires by the drivers feet per the instructions above, plugged it into the headunit, and BAM - reverse camera works. Flawlessly. Great picture with no degradation. So now I have the image in my mirror and dash.

I wanted to post this for the next guy that digs this thread up down the road. It was simple...

Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by nshipley
Quick Follow-up:

Backstory: I have a 2009 that came stock with the backup camera and screen in the rear view mirror. No factory screen in the dash. I added an aftermarket screen and wanted the backup camera to show up on that screen.

Result: After my local shop told me that it couldn't be done for all kinds of reasons, I followed the step by step instructions in this thread. Those instructions were for a 2010 and my concern was that my 2009 wires would be a different color. Not the case - they are the exact same. So I dug an old RCA video cable out of my 'old cable storage box', cut off an end, spliced it into the wires by the drivers feet per the instructions above, plugged it into the headunit, and BAM - reverse camera works. Flawlessly. Great picture with no degradation. So now I have the image in my mirror and dash.

I wanted to post this for the next guy that digs this thread up down the road. It was simple...
Bringing a thread back from the dead.... So I have an 09 Lariat and I do not have those colors on any of the harnesses behind the hood release. Did anyone else have different colors? I've looked around on the net and this thread is the best I've found, unfortunately my 09 doesn't have those colors. Also I bought an video cable specifically for back up cameras on amazon, and after cutting off one end there are three wires, black, red and yellow. Once I find the wires I am assuming the red should go to the + and the black -?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Problems.

currently doing this on my 2008 Ford F-150. The only wires I can find is a light brown and yellow. Then a darks brown further down on the connecter. Is there any way I could get a good picture of your setup?

Old 06-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Thanks worked like a charm.

You Sir deserve a 🍺

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Camera Wiring