Disable Nav Saftey Feature??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disable Nav Saftey Feature, SOLVED

I have the factory navigation unit that came with my 2008 F150. Does anyone know if its possible to override the saftey feature that disables the ability to perform searches for POI etc once you are operating vehicle at speeds greater than 10mph?

I understand the saftey issues here, but the majority of the time I have someone ridding with me that could operate the unit. I think it would be smart if Ford detected if someone was in the passenger seat (like seatbelt alarm) and then allow full funtionality at all times.

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

SOLUTION HERE: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ions-more.html

Last edited by mdhawkin; 08-30-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree ,that would be nice.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Not sure if your truck has it but i added a switch inline on the vss wire (grey/black) when I flipped the switch it didn't know the vehicle was in motion. Typed what I had to type then flipped the switch back on.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by jtruesdell
Not sure if your truck has it but i added a switch inline on the vss wire (grey/black) when I flipped the switch it didn't know the vehicle was in motion. Typed what I had to type then flipped the switch back on.
Out of curiosity, why do you have to switch it on and off? Why can't you always leave the switch off so the nav never knows the truck is in motion? Or does it use the GPS signal to know it's in motion? If that's the case, then I guess if you left the switch turned off, the GPS wouldn't work. Did I just answer my own question?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

VSS Wire is for the following...

1) tells the gps how fast the truck is moving so it can calculate how long it is going to take to get where you are going (Estimated Time of Arrival . . . ETA)

2) if your GPS loses Satellite signal for example a tunnel or tall buildings etc... the GPS can try to calculate your position based upon your speed until it can get verification from the satellites. (debatable how well this really works. mine works great on my Eclipse, however my friends pioneer sucks at this)

3) disable you from working with the GPS while driving. or in my case watching movies while driving.

1 possible solution is to do what Jtruesdell did and put a switch on the VSS wire so that you can temporarily disable it.

take a further look around on the forums and on the internet. for some aftermarket stereos there are boxes that you can hook up that will allow you to disable this. Maybe somebody has made something similar.

On my eclipse i just had to tie the "Parking Brake" wire from my HU to ground. Tricks the HU into thinking that the parking brake is on therefore allowing full use of the HU. GPS Still fully functional on my eclipse when i did this.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Lockpick

http://www.coastaletech.com/ford360lockpick.htm

Installed 1 in my life, and it was bad out of box. Others have had great success though.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Quick Reply: Disable Nav Saftey Feature??