Where is the Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire on a 2004 Ford F150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire on a 2004 Ford F150?

I am doing an install right now on a 2004 Ford F150 Pick-up and I can't seem to find the speed sensor wire for the navigation. Does anyone know the location of the speed sensor wire and colors?....And does the reverse wire on the Alpine NVE-851A unit have to be connected, or can it just be grounded?....Please let me know asap!

Thanks a bunch for the help! - - Sean

Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Bump!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm a bit confused. Why does the Alpine need to be hooked to a speed sense wire? Is that for the safety feature so you can't watch movies while driving?

Also don't expect a reply in one hour most folks don't play around on here till the evening.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the VSS wire should be on the radio plug...
number 14
and i would connect the reverse wire, its probably used for the addition of a backup cam. if you dont have one then either connect it up or leave it disconnected but dont ground it.

and IMpact.. its for the NAV not the unit itself

Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I have the same question as IMPACT9, is the speed sensor wire needed for the nav. to operate, or is just for the DVD safety system, or for something else? I thought it wasn't necessary, my Brandmotion (Magellan) unit is not tied into the vehicle speed sensor as far as I know, nor are the mobile units that can be taken from vehicle to vehicle.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by twmalonehunter
I have the same question as IMPACT9, is the speed sensor wire needed for the nav. to operate, or is just for the DVD safety system, or for something else? I thought it wasn't necessary, my Brandmotion (Magellan) unit is not tied into the vehicle speed sensor as far as I know, nor are the mobile units that can be taken from vehicle to vehicle.

Mobile units usually use just straight GPS sat recievers to determine your position, therefor they can be handheld and switched car to car.

Indash units work the same way, except that they have the added convinience of using the speed sensor wire to let the unit determine where you are from the last sat signal recieved when it fails to register a signal from the gps sat.
For example, you travel thru a large forest, tunnel, storm or somewhere the gps cant recieve a good signal (or when your siblings think its cool to dress up the gps or sat radio antenna in aluminum foil cause its shiny), the VSS signal helps the unit determine how much you exactly traveled from the moment you lost GPS signal to keep you nav going until it can achieve another signal reading from GPS sats.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Fabian06sc, that is great info thanks.

I increased the tire size on my truck. So does this mean that when I hook up an in dash (i.e. Alpine W205 or the Kenwook DNX7100) and use the VSS wire that the unit will confuse my location sometimes? And if so, would getting the Edge and reprogramming tire size remedy this?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by twmalonehunter
Fabian06sc, that is great info thanks.

I increased the tire size on my truck. So does this mean that when I hook up an in dash (i.e. Alpine W205 or the Kenwook DNX7100) and use the VSS wire that the unit will confuse my location sometimes? And if so, would getting the Edge and reprogramming tire size remedy this?
That's why I like the Kenwood. No VSS wire. Calculates speed by GPS. Seems to be accurate. At higher speeds it's off by about 2 mph. What's cool is you have no wires to hook up other than the basics radio wiring unless you're wanting rear camera then you have to hook up reverse.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by KCAutosound
That's why I like the Kenwood. No VSS wire. Calculates speed by GPS. Seems to be accurate. At higher speeds it's off by about 2 mph. What's cool is you have no wires to hook up other than the basics radio wiring unless you're wanting rear camera then you have to hook up reverse.

This man here is the wiring GURU...

LIsten to him!

But to anwser.. yes, if you lose signal for a good while... say an hour or so, your nav will theoretically be off by how many ever miles yoru gauges are.. but the chances that you lose GPS signal for an hour or 60miles (given the traveled speed is 60mph at a constant.) are slim to none. it basically backs up the GPS just incase.

If for some reason you do get off from the nav using the vss as soon as you recieve gps signals you should be right back on track.

And KC im dying for pics of the newer ddx reciever you got! Email me a few pics of the user interface where you can add your own backgrounds. I sooo wanna upgrade the 6019. (too bad i have other things to "spend" money on) custom BG pics would rule!
Also you will recieve a PM from me shortly, hope you dont mind the questions.
/highjack

Old 05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
And KC im dying for pics of the newer ddx reciever you got! Email me a few pics of the user interface where you can add your own backgrounds. I sooo wanna upgrade the 6019. (too bad i have other things to "spend" money on) custom BG pics would rule!
Also you will recieve a PM from me shortly, hope you dont mind the questions.
/highjack

Here's a few pics of it. I'll try to take some of my actual one in my truck. These are from my photo booth. I take numorous pictures of products so people know exactly what they are getting. Especially when it comes to a $1000+ purchase.

Quick Reply: Where is the Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire on a 2004 Ford F150?