Factory DVD system with aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a problem I am trying to fix.

I have a 2003 Expedition with the sub and rear seat entertainment.

I replaced the head unit with a JVC KW-AVX810 and I bought 2 harnesses from crutchfield, one was to allow the sub to get power and hook up to the RCA Sub plug on the HU and the other was to retain the DVD player sound. The DVD player sound harness was a harness that I plugged in and it had 2 RCA jacks (R/L) and a red power lead to give the DVD player power.

So as it sits right now I have the following:

JVC KW-AVX810
Ford Rear DVD Player
Subwoofer
PAC Steering Wheel control (works fine)
IR Wireless Headphones

What I'm trying to do is get the wireless headphones to work. Before I changed out the HU you would press 2 & 4 on the HU to get them to be on and then you could choose a different source to be played on the front speakers. Basically if I put in a DVD in the back seat and set the JVC to AV-IN I hear the audio coming from all the speakers but the wireless headphones do not work.

This is what I would like to accomplish:
Get the wireless headphones to work which doesn't make sense because the DVD player playing and you would think the IR's would be sending the signal.
Also --
The rear DVD player has an Aux input (Video/Right/Left) and was wondering if it's possible to come out of the HU video out, and tap into the DVD player on the roof AUX video in so I could play a DVD up front and have it show in the back seat as well as play a separate DVD in the back.

I'm sure all this is possible and it's probably been done before but I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks
Brad

Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Heres how to do it on a 05' with the can system

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...08754~get~last

05’ Ford F-150 Factory DVD audio to Aftermarket headunit. ***CAN system!

First, if your factory radio’s Aux plug has a Green/Black wire all u need to do to turn on the factory DVD player is tag that wire to ACC then find your audio on the Aux plug and wire up your headunit with the wire harness like usual, if not you must leave the radio in the car somewhere and do the steps below.

Hardwire your speaker wires and pwr, gnd, acc from your headunit to the wires listed below. YOU MUST CUT THE SPEAKER WIRES FROM THE PLUG!!! If you leave the speaker wires in the big plug it will put the radio in protect. On the small Aux plug cut the Aux wires listed below and wire them into RCAs. Wrap factory headunit in carpet and tape to protect it them mount it in the space behind the dash( if you have a aftermarket double-din this method wont work. You will have to take the radio apart down to just the board and heatsink to be able to fit it correctly!). With the radio plugged in PRESS THE AUX button that turns on the factory DVD player, this will have to be left on Aux ALL THE TIME so be careful that it wont get bumped. Plug in both the big plug and the small Aux plug to the factory radio. Secure the radio. The method that worked for me was to have the plug side of the radio facing the driverside, it took some spinning but it worked. Run the RCAs you spliced into the Aux wires to the Aux in on the headunit and you are good to go! All DvD funtions can be done through the factory dvd player so just leave the factory player in aux/dvd mode. Im not sure if the headphones will work im assuming they won’t. Also I’ve heard the video signal wires at the24 pin plug behind the factory DVD player are (+) Yellow and (-) Black if you wanted to splice them into RCAs and run them down.

Radio 12V- lt. green/purple (20A)
Radio Ground- black and black/lt. green
Radio Ignition- pink/black or lt. green/yellow
Radio Illumination- lt. blue/red (dimmer)
Factory Amp Turn-on- dk. green/purple
Left Front Speaker- (+/-) orange/lt. grn - lt. blue/wht
Right Front Speaker- (+/-) white/lt. grn - dk. green/org
Left Rear Speaker- (+/-) gray/lt. blue - tan/yellow
Right Rear Speaker- (+/-) orange/red - brown/pink

Aux. Audio Input Left- (+/-) gray - org/black *Wire into RCA the Aux into aftermarket radio

Aux. Audio Input Right- (+/-) purple - green/red *Wire into RCA then Aux into aftermarket radio

Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
nothingbutford where were you when I wanted to add the oem dvd rail system to my Pioneer Z2 b4 I did this My Alpine Overhead Install

Don't get me wrong I love what I done b/c I think the Alpine plays much better than the factory dvd system but the oem would have saved me the headache of cutting and trimming and drilling, lol.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the wiring description this will prove handy in my upcoming install.

can someone tell me what year did Ford start using the CAN system???

Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I installed a factory dvd system from a 2005 freestar in my f150. This dvd is the same as the expedition dvd system. You need a 12 volt pos, 12 volt key power, and a ground. The keyed power I ran through a switch on the unit so when the screen opens it turns on the whole system. This was the part that is run through the factory deck. The outpus of the dvd need to be wired to the inputs of the dvd for the wireless headsets to work but very easy to do and again run through the factry deck. I went one step further and wired it up also so I can use the line out and plug it into the ipod jack. Having both hooked up will require a 4 contact 12 volt relay. The hardest part of the whole install was cutting the plastic away around the rail system and then making the brackets to hold the unit up without drilling into the rails.

Last edited by redx; 04-27-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
still questions though mr. ford

You say you have plenty exp. doing these radio mods but have you ran across a late model factory nav that is can bus injected that you installed in an non-can bus truck such as my 04 f-150. I can get it to power up in my 06 stang but not my 04 f-150 due to lack of 16 pin connectoer in the 04 which means i have no can bus telling the nav to even turn on. Any Thoughts

Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by mdntblu
This is what I would like to accomplish:
Get the wireless headphones to work which doesn't make sense because the DVD player playing and you would think the IR's would be sending the signal.
Brad, Did you ever get the headphones to work? I want to swap our head unit too, but these *really* need to work for long trips.

Please report back and let us know. I will PM you too.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by silent4408
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...08754~get~last

Im not sure if the headphones will work im assuming they won’t. ******
I can confirm that the factory headphones DO WORK if you leave the speaker wires uncut and re-run new speaker wire from your aftermarket deck.

I'm not sure why it works this way but I stumbled on this by first wiring my rear speaker output from an aftermarket headunit to the rear speakers on the factory harness (i.e. using factory wiring to get to rear speakers from new aftermarket deck). I then tried getting the headphones to work and noticed when using the hardwired headphone jack that I was hearing the music from the aftermarket deck! WTF? So then I rewired it so the factory deck was running the rear speakers and voila, it would play.

So don't know why, but it does work this way.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Shawndoggy... can you explain what you did to get the DVD headphones to work. I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-700BT with the PIE FRD04-DVD... which will play the DVD, but the headphones don't work. Any suggestions?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, my first suggestion would be to have your kids try to get the headphones to work. I thought mine didn't work either after trying the logical solution of pushing the headphones button on the dvd player and still having no sound. But then my 10 year old got in the back and did some button pushing and confirmed that they work!

Here's what I noticed, when wiring up my aftermarket deck and trying to get the dvd player to work. When the rear output from the aftermarket deck was wired to the factory rear speaker wires, I got sound through the 3.5mm headphone plugs of the dvd player, but the sound was from the aftermarket deck, NOT the dvd player. Which lead me to believe that the dvd player sound output actually has something to do with the sound that is playing out of the rear speaker output of the factory deck. Is this true for you too?

Anyhow, what I did is basically wire up two head units in parallel. The factory unit is still completely wired up. Just the speakers are unplugged from all four speakers, and I ran new speaker wire to the speakers from the factory deck. Does that make sense? So the factory deck still works, but it doesn't actually play any sound out of the speakers because it isn't connected to anything to play sound.... except, apparently, the dvd player, because it does work. In my Lariat there is a ton of room in the dash under the deck, so it's just tucked away in there. Kind of a lame solution, but it works so I'm not messing with it.

Again, though, even after getting it wired up like this, I didn't think it worked until my 10 year old got it going. Barring having a 10 year old at your disposal, study the factory manual in great detail about how to get the factory deck into dual play mode from the back seat. That's basically what my son did.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 03-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory DVD system with aftermarket head unit