How to build a headrest DVD system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How to build a headrest DVD system?

I have a 2005 King Ranch with the special leather, so there aren't any off-the-shelf solutions that interest me. I have a moonroof, so I can't use the Ford rail system DVD. Also, roof-mounted DVD players just don't appeal to me.

I'm thinking of having a custom installation done, but wanted to ask here before talking to the slack-jawed morons at the audio/video shops. I've done the searching here, but 90% of the posts here are for in-dash DVD systems and the other posts seem to be about navigation and such -- very little info on headrest-based video systems.

I have the audiophile system in my truck along with the PIE unit. Thus, I can run the DVD audio signal into my stock head unit. I have no desire to upgrade my head unit.

So, I want two monitors for my headrest and a DVD player. I want something nice, like the Sony H65 monitors (~$320 online, each). There are a lot of options and very little feedback on the quality of the monitors. I don't need anything too fancy. For instance, the Pioneer W6210 is really nice, but it has a touchscreen and ready for navigation inputs and other bells and whistles. These are for rear-seat passengers watching movies, so I don't need any of that stuff. I only need a monitor that will accept DVD video and look really nice.

Then, I want some sort of DVD player for a remote mount. I'd probably mount it in my center console, but I might throw it under a seat. Not sure, but I want the option of vertical or horizontal mounting. I don't need anything fancy. I don't need 5.1 audio, DVD+R, multi-region, etc. Just standard DVD, region 1 discs, decent PQ, and won't die in 12 months.

I would probably look for an auto upholstry shop to install the monitors in the headrests and route the wires down through the seat. Then, I'd do the rest of the install myself. Connecting wires is pretty easy, I think. Find hot leads for power, find proper grounding points, run the DVD video out into a Y-adapter to feed into two monitors, run the DVD audio out into my PIE, and voila. Right?

So, I'm thinking that I need to order two monitors, one DVD player, and then supply some wires, connectors, and such for the install. Should be ~$900 for the materials and I have no idea what a shop would charge to install the monitors into my headrests.

So, I am I thinking about this project correctly? Am I missing components that I'll need? Any advice from people who have done this project?

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two ways to go really...

1. http://vizualogic.com/headrest_prod/...000/a1000.html
and then get a second monitor for the other side.

2. Like you said, get a DVD player and two monitors. That should run you less than $500 easy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-7-L...29643797QQrdZ1

Old 01-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Ha Ha Ha... I would not buy any Pyle of crap from e-bay. Every time I look for good buys on audio/video products on-line, Pyle always comes up. I got two sets of 1-gazillion watt speakers and they blew in less than a year (from a factory head-unit in an altima.) Just be careful of what you are buying. Maybe I have just had bad luck with the oh-so-cheap Pyle brand-name. I see Wal-Mart is selling aftermarket DVD units for autos now too... Good luck with the search!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Rider69
Two ways to go really...

1. http://vizualogic.com/headrest_prod/...000/a1000.html
and then get a second monitor for the other side.
But I have the King Ranch trim level, which rules this option out. King Ranch has a special type of leather which would not work with any off-the-shelf pre-packaged system.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Take a look in my gallery, I installed 2 monitors in my headrests and 2 DVD players under the seats. If you have nay questions let me know.

Chris

Old 01-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Chris,
I do have a few questions:

1) How did you install the monitors in the headrests?
2) How did you route the cables from the monitors to the DVD player?
3) It looks like you used some sort of box or molding to house the DVD players under your seats. Is this correct? Could you elaborate a bit on the install?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
The monitors have a piece that goes into the head rest, I attached this using zip ties, to the metal posts that go into the seat and then the monitor snaps into this piece. Cutting the headrest was no fun. I routed the cables from the headrest into the top of the seat where the post goes in and then inside the seat to the DVD players. I took some black plastic and cut it to make a trim plate that fits under the back of the seat, for apperance only, and mounted the DVD player to it. I will add a audio/video switcher, so either DVD player can play to either TV, and cordless headphones as soon as I get some free time. Hope this helps.

Chris

Old 01-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by 67L48
But I have the King Ranch trim level, which rules this option out. King Ranch has a special type of leather which would not work with any off-the-shelf pre-packaged system.

Thanks.
I understand that, but you can buy the equipment from them without the headrests and have them mounted in your headrests. Thus, keeping your special leather.

And to RWThrun, I understand about all the Pyle problems with their stereo stuff. I dealt with them a long time ago as well and will not buy any stereo related stuff. But their DVD player and monitors are not bad at all. I think that the monitors are made by the same company that makes many other monitors and are very good. And nowadays, DVD players are so easy to make and come by that they really cannot F that up too much.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by 150mann
Cutting the headrest was no fun.
Chris, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

So, what did you do here? Outline the bracket and then cut an "X" into the headrest material? Did you then have to scoop out the foam? If so, did you you use a knife or something?

Sorry to keep pestering you. Well, I suppose I'm not really sorry or I wouldn't persist. Thanks, though.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
That is exactly what I did. When you outline the piece that will go into the head rest be sure to cut to the inside of the outline to start, especially when taking the foam out. It is easier to take out more than it is to try and put some back. Are you looking for montiors and DVD players, if so I may be able to help. Email me at: chris.mann@volvo.com to discuss further.

Chris

Old 01-29-2006, 03:18 PM
XQ1
Will this work? Not sure about the "Castano" though.
http://www.f150store.com/Shop/ViewP...7&PlateTypeID=1

Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Can't remember if the king ranch headrest is the same size/shape as the regular f150, if it is get the vizualogic set and swap the king ranch leather onto the prefab headrests they make for the truck.

Quick Reply: How to build a headrest DVD system?