Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA

Exhaust Questions :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Questions :(

Ok. So just moved down to norfolk from Iowa, and where I come from, if you have a truck it BETTER have some deep, grippy tires. And it BETTER be 4 wheel drive capable so when those tires don't get you out of that mud hole, your 4-low will be there for back up. And it BETTER be lifted, so those ruts in traveling aaall the way down that famous level B dirt road wont get you high centered. And finally, that truck BETTER have a nice flow of exhaust gasses, not only for the boosted performance, but the ladies like that rumble coming out of those Hooker headers and those Flowmaster pipes. And THAT is where my problem lies.
Every truck I have owned has had aftermarket pipes, and the exhaust manifolds have been done away with. I was forced to sell my baby for some extra cash on the move down here, and have now come to own a 2001 4X4 Stepside. Powered by that always lovely Triton 5.4 liter. First mod to go on is the exhaust. Now, see in Iowa you could go to any metal shop or muffler shop and they would weld on some pipes no questions asked. And no CATS included. I am religiously against the catalytic converter, and in Iowa, eventhough it is against the law to not have them included in your exhaust, noone cared. Down in Virginia on the other hand, I've been to a few shops and they all ask if I'm wanting cats. I tell them no, and they say No Deal. I thought that letting the shops know my truck is registered in Iowa would help my cause. But no. It's very depressing.
I need to know if anyone knows, or runs a shop that will put on some headers and weld on some pipes no questions asked. I'll even go so far as to bring the truck to someones home garage and pay them out of pocket to do a small welding job. I need some help here my fellow Ford lovers. I'm at war with the Virginia emissions laws, and so far I'm losing. Help me out.

Last edited by BrokenArrow; 10-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I feel your pain man, however, even if you find someone to set up an exhaust system the way you want it, you'll fail the emissions test which comes around every two years. I'm not sure about the exact laws in VA compared to MD, but I'd check into that first. Welcome to the site.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Well ChrisT. The thing is, that my truck is registered in Iowa, so I do not have to get it inspected. For as long as im driving it in virginia, it will have Iowa plates and legally be registered in iowa.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Ahh, Ok. I didn't realize you're keeping the truck registered in Iowa.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Some shop should do it for you. After all, it is your *** that will get chewed out by the cops anyways. It shouldn't be an issue, but you never know with norfolk pd

Old 10-31-2008, 12:57 PM
One of my trucks didn't have cats on it and I couldn't find anybody to weld up a custom cat back. They would get as far as lifting it the air, inspect it and then lower it right back down. I ended up buying hi-flow cats.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
i'm not sure about virginia but in maryland it is all visual inspection for the exhaust, no emmisions tests. so i could have gutted out my cat when i got it inspected. the suspension cant be messed with in MD and tires have to be within 2 sizes over stock. and as long as your not rippin and rearin up and down the road then noone will care and cops wont bother you, i actually became friends with some cops. but i know tht its another complete story in VA. they dont forget your vehicle.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM
1. Get outta my city!

2. You're stuck. In VA you're required to have a vehicle inspection once every 12 months. It's that yellow sticker you see in the center of windshields on most every car in and from a city here. It's the month and year the inspection runs out, and the reason why you'll see signs that read "VA State inspection _____" due. Where the blank is filled in with a number from 1-12.

3. Unless you know someone I doubt a regular licensed shop would risk cutting out your cats because that opens them up to a huge liability and possible loss of their license. I don't doubt that the State tries to run sting operations against them from time to time. Where in 'Nawfuk' are you located? What brings you here?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
but in maryland it is all visual inspection for the exhaust, no emmisions tests.....

where in MD are you? i've had to get the emission test done every 2 years. actaully my truck is going to be due soon come to think of it. my g/f just had her's done on her car. when i bought my jeep, i actually got the notice a lot sooner than expected. got it done right away & then MIL came on about 1 week after i got the test. ends up the cats are bad on it. so ill have to get that done (if i keep it) before the next test.

edit...i re-read your post....are you talking about 1st getting it to pass MD state inspection? if so your right. but unless you can get the MIL to stay off, it will fail the state inspection.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
where in MD are you? i've had to get the emission test done every 2 years. actaully my truck is going to be due soon come to think of it. my g/f just had her's done on her car. when i bought my jeep, i actually got the notice a lot sooner than expected. got it done right away & then MIL came on about 1 week after i got the test. ends up the cats are bad on it. so ill have to get that done (if i keep it) before the next test.

edit...i re-read your post....are you talking about 1st getting it to pass MD state inspection? if so your right. but unless you can get the MIL to stay off, it will fail the state inspection.
i live in whaleyville, about 30 minutes from the beach. i am talking about passing md inspection. it will fail inspection with the light, but i've never heard of md doing an actual emmisions test except for school buses and big rig trucks and such. me my brothers my sister my dad and stepmom all are driving and none of us have had to take our vehicles in for reinspection or emmisions tests. i hope i dont because i'll never pass now.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
i live in whaleyville, about 30 minutes from the beach. i am talking about passing md inspection. it will fail inspection with the light, but i've never heard of md doing an actual emmisions test except for school buses and big rig trucks and such. me my brothers my sister my dad and stepmom all are driving and none of us have had to take our vehicles in for reinspection or emmisions tests. i hope i dont because i'll never pass now.
They have done the sniff test in Southern MD for at LEAST 8 years now. I had to take my car and have it checked out when I came back from overseas, and I'd been gone for a while. A 2 door car hardly counts as a bus. So I guess it depends on where you live.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Emissions laws must be different in certain locations in MD. My GF (now wife) never had to get emission tests on her car until she moved up to Baltimore Metro area from Southern MD. I thought that was crazy, I figured it was a Maryland State law to get emissions tests done every 2 years.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions :(