Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA

Going to Norfolk for spring break!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Norfolk for spring break!

Ok I am going to Norfolk for a couple days over spring break and was wondering if there was anywhere on the beach that I could drive or any wheeling spots you could all recommend. I will be the only one with a 4x4, so I was just looking into maybe doing a little beach driving. Thanks guys! I am looking at ODU as an option for next year so I need to get a feel for the area

Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think there is any driving on the beach in Norfolk or Va Beach, except for emergency vehicles. You'd have to go down to the Outer Banks NC.
It's probably 75 miles one way.

I am familiar with the school, oldest graduated in '05 and the second one is there now. ODU has got every dime I had except what I spent on beans and electricity. Everytime I get a bill from them I have to walk through the house and turn some lights off.
Ain't givin up my damn beans though!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Don't drive on the beach unless you're looking for some excitement in the form of the boys in blue. The Outer Banks is 75-80 miles away and you can hit the beach there. ODU is not too far from me, and in fact I'll be ther Saturday to take the LSAT. (Wish me luck).

Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks guys! I'm not sure what we will be doing but probably going to ODU and CNU to visit friends while I am there. Yea I won't be driving on the beach if it's illegal, but they would have to catch my FX4 first I also got the supreme submarine package on her so helicopters wont be a problem

Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Thanks guys! I'm not sure what we will be doing but probably going to ODU and CNU to visit friends while I am there. Yea I won't be driving on the beach if it's illegal, but they would have to catch my FX4 first I also got the supreme submarine package on her so helicopters wont be a problem
Keep in mind that most of the Va Beach oceanfront areas are flanked on either side by military bases, with one in between Va Beach and Norfolk as well. A couple of them do some serious special ops type training, including demolitions stuff. Another has a firing range that impacts on the beach area.

If you drive on the beach down here, PRAY that the local cops catch you before you get out of bounds.

When I was at one of those bases years ago, a couple teenagers decided to skirt past the signs on their ATVs. The last I saw them they were face down at the edge of the surf, and not about to question the people telling them to stay that way. I'd bet money that even if their parents never found out they shake every time they see a "Restricted Area" sign now.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by signmaster
Keep in mind that most of the Va Beach oceanfront areas are flanked on either side by military bases, with one in between Va Beach and Norfolk as well. A couple of them do some serious special ops type training, including demolitions stuff. Another has a firing range that impacts on the beach area.

If you drive on the beach down here, PRAY that the local cops catch you before you get out of bounds.

When I was at one of those bases years ago, a couple teenagers decided to skirt past the signs on their ATVs. The last I saw them they were face down at the edge of the surf, and not about to question the people telling them to stay that way. I'd bet money that even if their parents never found out they shake every time they see a "Restricted Area" sign now.
Yea if I ever go on the beach, it will be in MD or NC then

Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Closest beach access would be on the northern shore of NC. I live in Chesapeake and go there alot. Maybe an hour and thirty minutes away. You just take 168 to 158 and then a left on Hwy 12 until the road runs out.

Its an entire community that you can only get to by 4 wheel drive on the beach. Kinda cool cause there are wild horses that live up there and walk up to the truck. There are pics on www.beachjeepsofcorolla.com

Other than that Im not aware of much wheeling except of some places off of Johnstown Rd. in Chesapeake. A contractor was building a new neighborhood and ran out of cash after he got the streets cleared. Its pretty overgrown now and rutted up so I wouldnt go back there unless you are with someone who can pull you out. Tight sqeeze in alot of spots aswell.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Corolla N.C [Outer Banks] has some decent stretch of beach for 4WD'ing that heads back up towards the Virginia line [rules HERE].

The first and last place I got stuck when the truck was OEM from inside to outside!

I have some pics somewhere....

We have a condo right at the end of Sandbridge Beach and I'm tempted everytime we visit [going this weekend, actually] to do some "sanding" there, but the locals and just about everyone else tells me it's a REAL bad idea if you're caught.

I'm adventurous.... but moma raised no fool!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys! I'm not sure what we will be doing but probably going to ODU and CNU to visit friends while I am there. :
Sweet, 06' CNU alumni here. Those were great times. Me and the room mates were the first to have our own 9L diesel school bus on campus. We gutted it bolted sofas to the floor and installed a 27" TV, surround sound, microwave, and a microfridge....Cops hated it.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by T-roy
Sweet, 06' CNU alumni here. Those were great times. Me and the room mates were the first to have our own 9L diesel school bus on campus. We gutted it bolted sofas to the floor and installed a 27" TV, surround sound, microwave, and a microfridge....Cops hated it.
That is awesome! I look forward to seeing both campuses and Norfolk in general thanks guys Look out for a big *** red F150 on march 2-3 it might just be running you over

Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM
That is awesome! I look forward to seeing both campuses and Norfolk in general thanks guys Look out for a big *** red F150 on march 2-3 it might just be running you over

You ain't from round here is ye? Your "big" red F-150 is liable to be runover by a kia sephia around here. Watch your six and look out for other trucks. If you see a non yeilding to lane creepers white F-150 it might be me.

Some IP in an avalanche thought he was going to slide over a lane, then slide into mine and take my spot. Fawker had another thing coming, I cruised right on up the road about 4" away from his dumbazz who was a foot into my lane. I think the look on my face properly conveyed my concern for his driving style and skills because he promptly got back in his lane and slowed down.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
You forget I am from Fairfax county and I can tackle the foreign drivers like a madman (no offense to anyone foreign just making a joke) My truck gets some sport car use some days for sure though trying to avoid the bad drivers on the road. Almost killed a lady because she cut out in front of me doing 65mph. I had my gf in the truck and I casually went off the road and back on. My gf almost pissed her pants To clear that sentence up I was doing 65mph and she was in stopped traffic!

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 01-31-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to Norfolk for spring break!