Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

Tonneau Cover Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau Cover Quit Working

Opened my tonneau cover up today with the key fob. It raised about 6 inches and stopped. It would not raise or lower anymore elctronically. I had to manually close it and now it doesn't open at all electronically. It was about 34 degrees out this morning when it happened. I had a problem with it last winter not closing due to a thin layer of ice forming on the top of the box sides that meet the tonneau cover, but this is different. Did anyone have a problem with their tonneau cover not working? I remember reading something on here about it. Was it a problem with the motor for the cover or the tonneau module? Or could it just be a fuse? I dread the thought of possibly paying $500 or something for a damn module or whatever to repair it as it is out of warranty with 62,000 miles and counting. This blows.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The power liftgate module is probably bad, it's a common failure item on Blackwoods. It'll set a B1342 code in the module for "ECU faulted." Figure 3-4 hours labor to replace, plus whatever the module costs at a dealer.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The power liftgate module is probably bad, it's a common failure item on Blackwoods. It'll set a B1342 code in the module for "ECU faulted." Figure 3-4 hours labor to replace, plus whatever the module costs at a dealer.
ARGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! I feared that might be the problem. I'm checking out all the fuses Saturday. Looks like 3 fuses are related to the tonneau cover. One is a big 50A fuse, so I'll check that one out first. 4 hours labor would be what about $240 plus probably $300 or more for the damn module. Well, I have the repair sheet to replace the module, so I'll do it my damn self if that's what it is.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:50 PM

It's a suck *** job to replace the module. I've done a few, if you get hung up, don't hesistate to holler.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:39 PM
It's a suck *** job to replace the module. I've done a few, if you get hung up, don't hesistate to holler.
Thanks for the info and the offer to help. From the looks of the repair procedure it does look like a royal pain in the butt to access the module. Why oh why did Lincoln have to make it so difficult?

Now for the good news. I located 3 fuses related to the power tonneau cover. Two in the engine compartment and one in the cabin fuse box. I pulled out the large 50 amp fuse and smaller 15 amp fuse in the engine compartment. They both looked good. So I walked over to open my drivers fdoor to inspect the last fuse when I notice the tonneau cover is in the open position. Yippeeeeee!!!!! My guess is there must have been some corrosion on the fuse blades or something and the process of taking it out and reinstalling it rubbed enough of it off to make a good connection again. So I pulled the fuse again and cleaned the blades off with some steel wool. Tonneau works like a charm now. Thank goodness I don't have to go in and replace that module now.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 PM

I'm not gonna bust your bubble, so you didn't hear me say this, but all you probably did was temporarily reset the module. With the 'Woods, there's ones that have already had the liftgate modules replaced, and ones that will.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm not gonna bust your bubble, so you didn't hear me say this, but all you probably did was temporarily reset the module. With the 'Woods, there's ones that have already had the liftgate modules replaced, and ones that will.
I hope that is not the case. Dang. Anyways, are the new modules that the dealerships use to replace the old ones any different in terms of the design or how they are built? Is it a different part number or revision to the old part number? Or is the module just going to fail again and again and Blackwood owners who hold onto the truck long enough may have to put a couple of modules in over time? Is this kind of like the story of the two types of motorcycle riders: those that have gone down and those that are going down.

Can we get a poll here of how many Blackwood owners have had to replace the power tonneau module?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Funny you should ask!!!

My B/W is in the shop right now for the cover problem. It was diagnosed as a(hang on, non technical description follows ) faulty sensor in the weather stripping. I was told that there is a pressure sensitive strip(wire??) that when it goes bad, will not allow the cover to open. It is being replaced tomorrow. The up side is that I am driving a brand new towncar as a loaner. SWEEET

Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
tonneau, just my luck

I've been reading all these post's about this problem thanking my lucky stars that after 3 yrs and 70k miles mine still works.Then Halloween night comes , i push the button and .........nothing happens. just my luck. Bought a new module from the dealer , my cost $100. and got one of the tech's at my local dealer to put it in for another $100. Didn't feel like tearing all the back apart. we'll see how it goes.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, it looks like you are right. I just tried to open the tonneau cover at lunch and it will not open once again. So I pulled out what is actually the #9 (15 amp) fuse in the engine compartment and reinserted it. The tonneau once again worked after that. So all it must be doing is resetting the fault as you said. So I guess I'll take it to the dealer to verify if it is in fact a bad module and then fix it myself. How much will a dealer charge just to diagnose the problem? Should I just buy a fault code reader and verify if it is in fact that module? Because someone else on here said they have the same problem and it was the pinch strips causing the problem. I have the repair manual on CD (got it off E-bay), so I can look up what fault code means what.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 PM

Diagnosis at most dealers starts at an hour's labor, which could be anywhere from $70-100 depending on the dealer. I don't know if a generic code reader can access codes from the liftgate module.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Could someone tell me the part number for the Blackwood tonneau cover module? The wording I'm seeing on the parts list doesn't match what the TSB says the part name is. So I want to be sure I order the right thing.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:35 PM

The latest module should be 2C6Z-14B450-AB. Take care when disassembling the cargo area to access the module. For one, the stainless steel is razor sharp, and two, the trim surrounding it, mainly the bed rails, is kinda flimsy and easy to break.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Really Old "Member"
Sorry to chime in so late here.

Halfway through it's second year that same module failed on my Blackwood.
As best I recall, it cost Ford about $500 to replace it.

One other thing to look out for, and I think I posted on this a few years ago.
Twice, I had the truck washed at a carwash when the temp would go below freezing in the night. Both times, the bed cover froze to the top of the bed sides and the motor would not lift the cover. I learned to open the lid every time I had it washed or it got rained/sleeted on and would have to be out overnight and thoroughly wipe all moisture off both the underside of the bed cover and the tops of the bed sides.
Bill

Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
tonneau module

Well I decided to give the module replacement a try. I found the tsb #02-9-6 for the tonneau cover module and it gives a step by step procedure for the replacement. It took me all of about an hour. works fine now.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Quit Working