Lightning

Is an electric waterpump worth the extra $$$$$?

Old 12-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is an electric waterpump worth the extra $$$$$?

If I buy an electric fan and Cobra R waterpump, they would cost close to $500. If I chose to get an electric waterpump it would cost about three times the $ as a Cobra R pump. Are the gains from eliminating the static drag of the waterpump worth that much more money? Thank you for your input.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:46 PM
You can get the e-waterpump for around $300. Gains will be about the same as a t-body.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM
DL
I've heard they are great if all you do is a 1/4 mile at a time with your truck. For normal driving, I've heard not to buy one. I got the Cobra R water pump. Put the Cobra R water pump on at the same time I installed a electric fan kit similiar to what JDM sells.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Electric water pump

I like mine on my daily driver. It flows a lot of water and is a top notch product.

That being said... an electric pump is a bit tricky to wire and run correctly (and prettily).

You'll get about 10hp out of it theoretically.

Coldie

Old 12-04-2002, 10:13 PM
meziere actually says that their pumps are better for daily driven trucks, says theyre not made for every once and a while 1/4
but i still like to have the security of a mechanically sriven one

Old 12-04-2002, 10:29 PM
DL
I thought I read a long thread a while back about electric water pumps and the outcome was as I mentioned.

Either read it on here or on F150online.com

Old 12-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DL
I thought I read a long thread a while back about electric water pumps and the outcome was as I mentioned.

Either read it on here or on F150online.com
I think that was historically true--electric water pumps were for intermittent use. The Meziere pumps are supposedly designed for continuous use, however.

I'm installing a Flex-a-Lite 270, but keeping the stock water pump. I have seen reliable dyno data which showed a significant LOSS in power with the "Cobra" water pump versus the stocker.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:46 PM
DL
Hmmm Tim...If the stock pump is better, that's great to know. I never did a before and after dyno test . Where you been with this info, you could have saved me some money..

Old 12-04-2002, 10:56 PM
The Meziere pump works great on the street. We've got many customers running them on daily driven trucks. There has never been a reported negative effect on the cooling system that I've heard of, and customers in very hot climates have told me their trucks run 10-15 degrees cooler in 100 degree stop and go traffic.

If you are worried about the pumps failing, then I suggest once a year, pull the pump and send it to Meziere for a rebuild. It's cheap insurance and really not a big task compared to some other mods people do.

As for the power gains/losses, I know Tim does an awesome job of data collection, but I find it really hard to believe someone would lose power from less parasitic drag on the motor. I sent an electric fan and Cobra water pump to an old customer (High Roller) for him to do an unbias, proper dyno test. He dynoed his truck, then installed the fan and water pump at the dyno shop, and redynoed it, and picked up 8hp over the entire rpm range. That's good, usable power. With the electrick pump, you have zero drag from the water pump, so it should be an even higher gain.

Just my two cents. Also remember that I refuse to sell products that are junk, or do not do what they claim. If the electric pumps didn't perform, I wouldn't sell them.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:11 PM
will the cobra r really give loses in horsepower? i dunno how it could, i mean the pump was made just for more horsepower considering it was for the cobra r, and wouldn't this have been brought up before? did no one dyno it at all? how could it loose horsepower? anyone else have more info on this?

Old 12-04-2002, 11:21 PM
just curious Sal, but was the efan installed then dynoed, then the pump installed then dynoed again? im just trying to get my info right (bad info is worse than no info!) Tims website says that the efan was installed and gained several hp, then the cobra r pump was installed then lost several hp. just trying to figure out if this is good info. debating on if i should buy one or not

Old 12-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by cpeapea
just curious Sal, but was the efan installed then dynoed, then the pump installed then dynoed again? im just trying to get my info right (bad info is worse than no info!) Tims website says that the efan was installed and gained several hp, then the cobra r pump was installed then lost several hp. just trying to figure out if this is good info. debating on if i should buy one or not
That's a great question. To my knowledge, the fan and pump were installed at the same time, since that pretty much everyone was doing both. Very few people do the fan, and not the pump.

There is only one possible way I can see the pump causing a loss in power...

The Cobra pump has a ring installed on the impeller, to help grab more coolant since the impeller blades are smaller. For a while, Ford was sending the pumps out missing that ring. It is possible that this truck Tim reffers to may have had one of the ringless pumps, which would cause the truck to not move as much coolant. On the dyno, the truck would get hotter on a WOT blast because the less flow would not remove the heat fast enough.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
As for the power gains/losses, I know Tim does an awesome job of data collection, but I find it really hard to believe someone would lose power from less parasitic drag on the motor.
Thanks for not slamming me as a "bench racer," Sal. I would have accepted that criticism from YOU.

You misunderstood. It was not the efan/Cobra pump that caused the losses, it was the Cobra pump versus the stock pump on an efan-equipped engine. Read about it here

I think that the electric water pump is a stellar idea. I just don't think that the price/performance is quite there unless you are pretty far down the list of mods. Just my $0.02.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:35 PM
I wish I had the money for an electric waterpump... BUt I have an autologic chip first on my list... I wanna see what there all about..

Old 12-04-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by sporkdevil
will the cobra r really give loses in horsepower? i dunno how it could, i mean the pump was made just for more horsepower considering it was for the cobra r, and wouldn't this have been brought up before? did no one dyno it at all? how could it loose horsepower? anyone else have more info on this?
See my response to Sal above. There are any number of explanations. One might be that the pump flows more water, meaning it does more WORK. On a dyno pull, where the water does not have a chance to heat up, maybe the extra work causes a loss, yet in the real world, if it kept the truck cooler, it might cause a gain. Another might be that it works optimally on one engine (maybe different drive pullies or something), but does not work well on another. This is all just speculation on my part. I have never even seen one, much less tested it. But without hard data showing a power gain, I'm sticking with stock.

Do a search. Someone (an engineer) pointed out that true "Cobra" pumps were rare/special or something like that and suggested that the "Cobra" pumps sold today are not really "Cobra" pumps at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is an electric waterpump worth the extra $$$$$?