Lightning

How To's on changing fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 03 L, it takes a smaller size than 02-99 to remove the front of the fuel filter. (I just wish I had my L with me right now I keep the tool in it, so I could tell you folks what size it really is) Maybe someone else will say what the 03-04 size is or I can once I get home. This might be the problem for the ones with 03-04 years that are having problem to get the line to disconnect.
(Not being able to push the tool into the filter so it will release the filter)

Originally posted by lightning66
Dont forget what the motorcycleMan said in a previous post

03 and 04's have a differnet rear connection where no tool is needed, just simply push the white clip up and release the line. One of the two types of tools mentioned in this thread will be needed in the front just as this thread illistrates - so to sumize

99-02 Lightnings, front and back connections will need one of the two types of tools mentioned to release theses connection
03-04 lightnings, the front only will need a tool to release the connection.

I personnaly like the plastic clips. Takes all of 15 minutes to change once you know what you are doing

Old 03-13-2005, 09:45 AM

Its the grey one

Old 07-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Two things to add. I removed a skid plate as I have 4by4 and skid plates. I used metal scissors tool. When I had the tool seated in connector I pushed and pulled, no good. I got 2 wide blade screwdrivers, put one between filter and tool and the other between tool and line. It came right apart then. I had used WD-40. It had set for 3 days so no pressure at fuel rail. Filter was mostly plugged at 35K. Thanks for posts as I had read them first....

Old 07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by MotorcycleMan
On my 03 L, it takes a smaller size than 02-99 to remove the front of the fuel filter. (I just wish I had my L with me right now I keep the tool in it, so I could tell you folks what size it really is) Maybe someone else will say what the 03-04 size is or I can once I get home. This might be the problem for the ones with 03-04 years that are having problem to get the line to disconnect.
(Not being able to push the tool into the filter so it will release the filter)
5/16ths? 99-04 2v Mustangs use the same filter and they require a 5/16ths tool.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Here's an easy way to get the line off the filter if you don't have one of the disconnecting tools mentioned before. I used a plastic spacer just a little bit larger in diameter than the tube coming off the filter. Don't know what toy, piece of furniture, or other project this piece of plastic came from, but I found it in my parts bin. (think of a drinking straw, but slightly thicker plastic)The one I used was about 1/2 inch long. I cut it from end to end, leaving a 1/16" gap. This allows the spacer to slip onto the tube, and when squeezed, makes it the same size as the tube. There is a gap with some play between the male filter end, and the female end on the fuel line. With the safety clamp already removed, and the spacer wrapped around the tube, I slid the spacer in to the female end, which depressed the internal clips on the female end. The hose comes right off. I did get some fuel leakage, but nothing serious, as I failed to try any of the various methods posted for depressurizing. Ok OK, I forgot to depressurize because the damn fitting was kicking my butt, and I was happy to find such a great solution.

Hope this helps anyone who cant find the right tool, or doesn't want to spend the money on it.

As an afterthought, the rubber caps that come on the new filter may also work.....just cut the closed end off, so that it slides freely. As long as it is rigid enough to slide into the fitting, it should work. I'd be willing to bet on it.....but I'm not going back under there to try it tonight, haha.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:56 PM
I picked up a new FG-986B filter ($14) and the 5/16" line removal tool ($7) from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

It only took about 15 min to change the filter, and about 30 min to fix my ear.

After I removed the 2nd line a little bit of gas trickled out and landed in my left ear #!$@$@#$. The pain set in quickly so I ran to the water hose and douched my ear out for a few minutes. I then went into the house and grabbed a spare syringe and douched my ear several times with 70% rubbing alcohol.

Last edited by device manager; 09-25-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by device manager

It only took about 15 min to change the filter, and about 30 min to fix my ear.

After I removed the 2nd line a little bit of gas trickled out and landed in my left ear #!$@$@#$. The pain set in quickly so I ran to the water hose and douched my ear out for a few minutes. I then went into the house and grabbed a spare syringe and douched my ear several times with 70% rubbing alcohol.

Should have just used a match! lol

Old 09-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by clonetek
hey marcus.. did you drain the old filter then try to blow thru it?
do that, then try it with a new one.. big difference!

since its only 10-15 bucks, i'll be doing it every 10k miles.

where did you get that line tool? what is the part number & cost?
i may pick one up. it looks easier to use than the one i use.
Make sure you let it dry out first or the blow test is not that accurate. I tried it and couldn't blow through the old one and of course blew through new one great. I let the old one dry for a couple of days then tried to blow again and it was a lot easier then when it had wet gas in it. Just my 02

Old 11-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Changed mine early this morning and it was the easiest thing I've ever done. I've never really done mechanic work on a vehicle before and just started doing my own oil changes. I got the napa filter and the scissor style tool. It took very little pressure to unlock the fuel line (my truck is pristine underneath! and I drive in the rain!) My 03 didn't need the tool for the backside of the filter/fuel line, just the front, the back side just has a safety clip that can be unlocked by finger nail...lol.

I put down some of those oil absorbant mats, my oil drain pan, and a couple rags on the frame directly underneath the filter anticipating some heavy fuel spilage but to my supprise very little gas came out - barely none on the motor side of the filter (a few drips) but the back some poured out for a couple seconds - nothing where I needed the oil mats or drain pan (the two shop rags I put on the frame absorbed the 'little' bit of gas that came out). I let the truck sit over night and removed the gas cap before I took the filter off. I'd say it took a whole five minutes to do....it's so easy.

I didn't even drive the truck up on ramps or lift it - I squeezed right under there 7am in the morning. I'm going to let the stock filter (6000 miles on the truck) sit a few days and dry out and see how easy it is to blow through it compared to the new one and then I'm going to take it apart to see how dirty it really is. I did notice right away the throttle response right off the bottom-end was better/more touchy. Whatever.... It's so cheap and easy to do I'm just going to do it every two oil changes.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Wow, after reading this entire post since I'm thinking about changing my own filter, I will have to say that there's something not quite right with device manager "douching his ear" out!

Bumped for usefulness.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
I just replaced my fuel filter on my 1997 F-150 today. It's been something that should have been done for a while now. I just never thought about it until recently.

I was getting a sluggish start and for the first 10 minutes while the truck was warming up it would shutter at times and hesitate a lot. I felt a lot of lost power. After it was warmed up I would feel some shaking in the truck at idle when it was warm.

After replacing it today, already the start is a lot smoother. I haven't driven it around too much yet to see if everything else is well or better.

I actually used the blue colored 3/8's removal tool instead of the 5/16th's. The line going from the filter to the engine was very hard to get off but it finally came off and although I had been warned about breaking the clips inside the line, nothing was broken and everything clicked back into place, no leaks when running.

I realize I could have used the smaller 5/16th's tool but it was all on pretty tight. Not sure if I was lucky with the bigger tool but it all worked. I have been thinking about returning these tools as I can but I'll need them 30k later anyways. If not with this truck, with another vehicle. I think. Hehehe. Not sure how the other vehicles are and if they need this tool as well or if it's just ford trucks and ford cars.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
fuel filter replacement

Hi I looked up your page Google I wanted to know how to replace the F 150 fuel filter. did exactly what you said use the exact told you recommend it. perfect spot on thank you very much u saved me alot of time and aggravation

Quick Reply: How To's on changing fuel filter?