Lightning

Diablo knock sensor program

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo knock sensor program

Hey all
As many of you all know I live very close to Diablo Sport and do alot of testing and R&D with them. As I am involved in the tuning industry albeit motorcycles, and I have an extensive background with eddy current dynes I also do some consulting with them..Because of this we have a good relationship and they allow me to test alot of pre-production technology...
So here it is, I spent the day with them today testing the new Activated Knock sensor program which also includes the deletion of the torque control..In laymens terms the knock sensor is activated, the program ( done in the hex file ) is done in a way that runs max timing at all times..Therefore it maximizes for any fuel 91-93 etcc.. when the sensor detects a knock it immediately references the crank position and pulls timing from the cylinder or cylinders that are affected. so yes it does control timing from cyl. to cyl...One way we tested was to take my standard Diablo chip ( which I went 12's with) and added timing until we had noticeable knocking ie..detonation.. we then took that program and integrated it into their knock program and the knocking was eliminated..Also the timing is pulled in and out in milleseconds so you never even feel it..The truck honestly pulls like never before which also has to do with the elimination of the torque control, something thats been done with mustangs for years and I believe is also done on some of autologics chips..

Now the important stuff, This is not meant to start a Flame War so for those who think the knock sensor cannot be used so be it, there are reasons it is not activated at ford and I can tell you it has nothing to do with interfering noise..
I DO NOT sell diablo chips so please don't email me. this program will be available from all the Diablosport vendors in about a month and will require a new chip, the reason for this is they are producing a new chip that cannot be read and is being done to protect this technology.. I will be happy to answer any questions but will not participate in a flame war.
Paul

Old 02-20-2002, 09:53 PM
Sounds really cool. I saw "a tuner" on her a month ago talking about this and alot of people raised the flag (not me). This is definatley a cool inovation for the lightning and will probably save alot of engines when it comes out. I wonder on a price???
please email me if you know lightningfastsvt@cs.com

Old 02-20-2002, 09:58 PM
Just wondering was Patrick helping you with this new program?

Old 02-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Actually the whole staff at Diablo is involved from Evan,Antonio,Patrick,Willie etc...

P.S if nitrous 63 is you Bill give me a call, I was in Indy last week and missed your call

Old 02-21-2002, 12:04 AM

Max power at all times!!

Old 02-21-2002, 01:20 AM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Hey great that it's working. Any down fall to this? Could there be any future problems?? Why did Ford leave the sensor off in the first place??? Oh and excuse my ignorance, but "torque control" what do you mean? Oh, and hopefully Johnny can chime in on this question, if we already have a Diablo Chip, can we turn it in for some sort of credit to the new one? Or are we on our own to sell the old, and buy a brand new one? How much for the new chip?

Old 02-21-2002, 06:32 AM
I just posted a knock sensor question on NLOC last week, and voila someone has done it. I currently have an Autologic chip from Swanson and hope he is able to add this programming. If not I will probably get a Diablo when I install a lower pulley.
Good insurance and only cost a few horsepower if it ever needs to kick in.

Old 02-21-2002, 07:55 AM
The torque control is a part of the oem file that retards timing when you stab the throttle from a standstill or small throttle opening, this is done to help control wheel spin etc..most chips mask this problem by advancing the timing at tip in but eliminating it is a noticeable difference..The reason the sensor is disabled is really a silly political decision done at ford ( thats as much as I'll say) but this info came from an engineer at SVT..you'll notice that other SC engines coming from ford have the sensor enabled...AS for the price of the new chip I can't answer, you'll have to contact your vendor when it becomes available.

Paul

Old 02-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Re: Diablo knock sensor program

Originally posted by TZrider

It will require a new chip, the reason for this is they are producing a new chip that cannot be read and is being done to protect this technology..
Paul
Hmmm isn't that sorta like the Pot calling the kettle black.

Also if someone wants to read it they will find a way.

Why not share or licence this technology as a show of good faith???

Last edited by Don's Bolt; 02-21-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:00 AM
Kettle Black?

Yea Don,

I agree!!! I seem to remember something about technology and copyrights in the past. I guess their rule is do unto others, but don't let them do it to you!

Kevin

Old 02-21-2002, 09:15 AM
Re: Re: Diablo knock sensor program

Originally posted by Don's Bolt

Hmmm isn't that sorta like the Pot calling the kettle black.

Also if someone wants to read it they will find a way.

Old 02-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Now i'm wondering if i should wait on a chip/pulley for my '01. Hopefully the tuners at Diablo can chime in on price/time frame etc??????

Old 02-21-2002, 07:32 PM
KGM
Weedo...I'd wait if I were you and I'm not. The gas out west sucks and this is something you can really use.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:09 PM
NOSTROMO
Wouldnt be a bad idea for use with newer people that have no clue what detonation is. Probably increase the safety margin and save a few motors.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:36 PM
So far I know the program is working on cux1&2 as well as cxn1, the release date is said to be 2-3 weeks but as for price I don't know yet..Along with the new Delta 3 program chip is a really cool option, it is a connector with a keyed switch similar to one found on a beverage machine, when turned to the off position the truck cannot be started and the theft light flashes on the dash.

Paul

Quick Reply: Diablo knock sensor program