Lightning

CD Changer saying "Bad Disc"

Old 01-23-2002, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CD Changer saying "Bad Disc"

Took my truck in for the intercooler recall. When I get it back the radio has the wrong time on it. No big deal, but odd I think to myself. Find out today that none of the discs I've had in my changer for the last oh, 6 months will play now. The changer is working, I can hear it pull the CD's in, but it takes a few seconds and then just throws up a message that says "Bad Disc". It does this to all 6 CD's. I'm playing the CD right now on my PC so I know that's not it. Has anyone else seen this? I did a search and didn't really find anything on this issue. Do I just need to maybe clean the CD lens? If so, how?

Old 01-23-2002, 03:06 PM
2000black,

Mine did it once when it was new, but only on 1 cd. I found that the cd was not inserted correctly in the magazine.

Old 01-23-2002, 03:24 PM
I had a similar problem in my expedition. I bought one of those cd lens cleaners with the little brushes on it. I used it a couple of times. Then, the tricky part, very gently vacuum the bottom iside parts of the player. GENTLY, is the operative here because you use too strong a vacuum, could pull some parts loose, then you are definitely screwed. After that, make sure the cd's are clean, no smudges or scratches, the Fomoco cd player is sensitive to that kind of cd.
The first cd I played in my new '02 L started skipping. I found a small smudge on it, cleaned it and been fine since then.
Long winded, sorry.
The last thing is to get another cd holder because when it is in the player, it is what pushes the microswitch to tell the player that something is loaded. If all this fails, either Ford or a new player.
BTW, while it was in for service, maybe some moron switched his bad player for yours, just a thought. Hard to trust what goes on i your vehicle when you are not around.

Old 01-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Your warrenty should cover a new cd player if it really is busted, make sure your cd's are in right and no wires are loose in the back of the player, or the connector on the cd changer.

Old 01-23-2002, 05:21 PM
I am on my third - and currently nonfunctional - cd changer. I don't know what the deal is with it, but it hasn't been right since 18,000 miles (currently have 31,000). The first time it read CD DJ Error. So, it was "rebuilt", and still didn't work. They put a new one in and it didn't work. So, they ordered another and put in it. It worked for a little while, but now exhibits the same problems - bad disc. When it begins playing, it sounds as if there is a wiring problem because it fades in and out with some crackling noises (not skipping). Then it displays bad disc. I know that it is not the CD because I have tried new ones in it - still same problem. The only other variable - besides the wire harness - is that the original disk holder has been used for each of the players. Could that be it?? If I try and run a lens cleaner through it, can I just use a normal lens cleaner for a home CD unit?

Phil

Old 01-23-2002, 06:23 PM
UPDATE:

Well I used some compressed air in a can to blow it out. It was very clean in there as the thing stays shut about 99.65% of the time. Still no workie. I used a CD Lens cleaner (has a little brush on it). The cleaning disk didn't even do what the instructions said it was supposed to do (ie, play a tone, then a song on the next track). Just gave me bad disc. It's going to Lincoln for replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD Changer saying "Bad Disc"