Lightning

More Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Horsepower

Not happy with dyno results. 391hp, 434flbs torque @7.5lbs of boost and maxed out timing. Built motor bored 20 over, Heads= TFS-51900001-M38 Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® 185 Cylinder Heads for Ford 4.6L/5.4L 2V , Manley rods and pistons, Cams= Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51802001 - Trick Flow® Track Max® Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, 60lb. injectors, K&N cold air intake, MAF extender, single blade throttle body and Bassani exhaust. Besides a $4000.00 Super Charger and without a pulley kit, where can I get more HP? I want to be in the 450-480hp range before i do a pulley kit. Any ideas?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM
FYI, this forum does not get much, if any regular lightning owners cruising through, I check occasionally and found this one.

First off, if these are mustang dyno numbers, they would be about right given your boost number. It looks like you have a pure stock Eaton blower and stock diameter pulleys. With your mods, you should be up around 15 to 17 on boost to utilize the mods listed.

If you want more hp without the pulley kit, you may be kind of screwed, no pun intended. You have opened up your air flow through with the cold air intake, higher flow heads, cams and opened up exhaust thus knocking down your torque and hp numbers. This would require adding more boost just to compensate for the restrictions you removed.
I am no expert, but I am almost positive the hp numbers you seek without pulleys is virtually impossible unless you juice it, N02, nitrous.

Good luck

Old 03-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Slap a Kenne bell on that bitch

Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by FireGuy
FYI, this forum does not get much, if any regular lightning owners cruising through, I check occasionally and found this one.

First off, if these are mustang dyno numbers, they would be about right given your boost number. It looks like you have a pure stock Eaton blower and stock diameter pulleys. With your mods, you should be up around 15 to 17 on boost to utilize the mods listed.

If you want more hp without the pulley kit, you may be kind of screwed, no pun intended. You have opened up your air flow through with the cold air intake, higher flow heads, cams and opened up exhaust thus knocking down your torque and hp numbers. This would require adding more boost just to compensate for the restrictions you removed.
I am no expert, but I am almost positive the hp numbers you seek without pulleys is virtually impossible unless you juice it, N02, nitrous.

Good luck
It is an 01 Lightning. I was thinking that maybe some stage 2 cams would up my HP before I do a pulley kit. However my tuner thinks it's not worth $ or effort to do new cams. Other advice I have received says do the cams (idk).

Old 03-29-2015, 12:11 AM
MDK
I would agree with your tuner about the cams. Your numbers sound good but anything you do without making the blower work harder won't really net you the hp gains you are looking for. Similar to what FireGuy said, creating MORE air flow in the motor will DECREASE boost pressure so don't rely on boost as a gauge of where you are at power wise but I'm sure you know this already.

With your current setup you will need to do what FireGuy suggested and go pulley, different blower, or additional forced induction. The most problem folks face is making sure the rest of the parts can handle the new boost pressure. Make sure you have enough fuel pump to hit the numbers you want as well. I see you have 60lb injectors but do you know what the fuel duty cycle is at WOT?

On a 08 F150 5.4l 3v most of us boosted guys don't go over 10psi on our stock motors/fuel setups...MOST OF US ha.

Last edited by MDK; 03-29-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: More Horsepower