Lightning

Smell of oil in cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smell of oil in cab

My L has a strong smell of oil in the cab. This smell only occurs under boost. Suggestions, thoughts, and/or advice welcome.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
turkey pan line delete

or run an oil separator

Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM
^^ What he said. Also, when mine smelled of oil in the cab, the passenger side head gasket would seep oil under boost. Had to have Ford put new gaskets on both sides. This is a common problem for 5.4's and some 4.6 engines, There was a TSB on the issue way back when, I doubt they would cover it now.

Good luck

Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
either the pcv system or head gaskets....imo

Old 02-15-2015, 05:58 PM
tarajerame

You probably don't remember, but a couple years ago you gave me some advice for my build. I went with trickflow heads, manley rods and pistons. So it is built with about 4000 miles on the build. I am getting this oil smell in the cab. Previous to the build had an oil separator, the oil separator is no longer there. I do not know why it was removed. Recently I get this oil smell in the cab under boost though. Currently, my SCT tuner guy has the L.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:40 AM
Figured out the oil smell

Originally Posted by rick45
My L has a strong smell of oil in the cab. This smell only occurs under boost. Suggestions, thoughts, and/or advice welcome.
The oil smell comes from leaking head gaskets. However, it makes no sense. The truck runs really strong, no evidence of oil leaking whenever I check the oil dipstick. I have even lifted the truck and pressure cleaned oil pan and everywhere it was wet and then cleaned it dry with brake cleaner. Then when it was wet with oil again, which was coming from the head gaskets, checked oil again, and again no sign or evidence that it lost any oil when checking dipstick...wow??? no idea. Engine has 4000 miles on a build. If anyone has a clue please respond.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:15 AM
Oil smell in cab

Originally Posted by rick45 View Post
The oil smell comes from leaking head gaskets. However, it makes no sense. The truck runs really strong, no evidence of oil leaking whenever I check the oil dipstick. I have even lifted the truck and pressure cleaned oil pan and everywhere it was wet and then cleaned it dry with brake cleaner. Then when it was wet with oil again, which was coming from the head gaskets, checked oil again, and again no sign or evidence that it lost any oil when checking dipstick...wow??? no idea. Engine has 4000 miles on a build. If anyone has a clue please respond.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Rick, I merged the new thread you started on this topic with your original thread. Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject, it leads to confusion.

Thanks,

- Jack

Quick Reply: Smell of oil in cab