Lightning

Just won this auction on Ebay, 94 lightning

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just won this auction on Ebay, 94 lightning

So I ended up winning the auction for an even $5000. It will cost me around $1000 bucks to ship so a total of $6000. What do you guys think? Here is the description from ebay and some pics.

1994 svt lightning
Up for sale is a 1994 ford svt lightning. The car has 200k miles on the chassis but almost everything on the truck has been replaced or modified recently. The car has a brand new bottom end ( the car is still sitting at the shop, we have no room in the driveway now that it is done). Entire motor gone through and rebuilt by Eddies Valve Grinding in Sayerville, NJ with less then 20 miles since complete. The outside of the car is flat black, its the ultimate sleeper. It was up for auction previously due to a private buyer who ended up not being able to come up with the funds so serious bidders only. I am going to describe the modifications as best I can and I'm sure I'll forget some:
New forged pistons and rods (entire motor has been gone through and rebuilt)
Trick flow cylinder heads
HIgh lift cam
Powerdyne Supercharger
Gigantic radiator and fans from summer racing
Full MSD ignition
Full Basani Exhaust (headers, off road pipe, catback) with the lopey cam it sounds like a monter
kenne bell boost a pump
MSD Ignition and Boost Retarding Controller(prevents detonation in motor)
42lb/ hr injectors
boost/ oil pressure gauges in a pillar pod
aftermarket head unit
Brand new MAF from Pro m
Brand new conical filter
ECU out of 1992 Mustang to convert to MAF
Brakes done right before it went into the shop
Cervini high rise hood
Just got new ball joints in front this week.

There are other modifications that the previous owner made such as high stall torque converter, 31 spline axles, and im sure im forgetting others

Old 11-25-2014, 02:49 AM
EDIT: Sorry for the possibly negative ragging on your purchase. I really hope it is a good buy and is everything you want.

The auction listing might help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Ford-F150-SVT-Lightning-Supercharged-/271673754583?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f410483d7&item=271673754583&nma=true&si=xA0fA%252B8M6o23PTsGnffQKmK6IaI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I'll leave it to others to pick apart but on just a quick look at the pics...

What's up with that paint ? And why do the Lightning logos look like they are badly photoshopped onto the picture ? Did the seller just sloppily mask them off when painting it that horrible flat black ? I hope that's it, and it's just plastidip that you can simply peel off clean. I'm afraid of what might lie underneath though.

I hope you did all your research on making safe ebay motors purchases. It used to be one of the biggest scam areas going and I doubt if it's improved much.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:48 PM

As long as it's as-described, it should be fun!

But I do agree that the Lightning badges/decals look really odd.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
As long as it's as-described, it should be fun!

But I do agree that the Lightning badges/decals look really odd.
Not going through with the purchase.. Your right, I noticed the decals also.. The seller wouldnt respond to any of my messages during the auction and only sent me a message when the deadline came for the deposit. Plus its $2000 bucks just to ship the truck.. Thanks for all your concern as it really got me thinking.. The search continues...

Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM

That other high-mileage one you were looking at on Craigslist looked a lot better, though it had its own problems. Where are you that shipping is that expensive? That's $600 more than it costs us to ship a lifted 250 from Houston to Canada.

That's so shady though. I'd be apprehensive buying anything without setting my eyes on it and driving it. Good luck with the search!

Old 11-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
That other high-mileage one you were looking at on Craigslist looked a lot better, though it had its own problems. Where are you that shipping is that expensive? That's $600 more than it costs us to ship a lifted 250 from Houston to Canada.

That's so shady though. I'd be apprehensive buying anything without setting my eyes on it and driving it. Good luck with the search!
Shipping from New Jersey to California. I just liked all the mods the ebay truck had, to take the high mileage one and add all the stuff this one "supposedly" had it would cost alot.. or would it not be that bad?

Old 11-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Ahh, yeah, that's far haha.

Those older Lightning weren't supercharged, were they? The supercharger would be the biggest expense, but because these trucks are so old, I'd imagine they could be found on the cheap. The only mods I'd want on a truck like this are long tube headers, a cam, and a supercharger at about 6 lbs or so. Any time you buy something with ALL those things listed above, they get unreliable. Others won't agree with me, but I'm tired of reading how seemingly every "built" engine has major issues within a year and needs to be torn apart again. And this is especially true when it's done on the cheap and/or by someone that isn't reputable. Cause I'd be that truck would've been an absolute mess and you'd have to start over from scratch. However, to directly answer your question, yes it would be expensive to add everything that truck had. But they aren't necessary for a fun toy either, and can be purchased one by one over time.

It's much cheaper to buy something done already, but it can also lead to more headaches. My 06 was bone stock when I bought it, and now it has $11k in aftermarket parts on it, but I know everything about everything on my truck cause I installed damn near all of it myself. If I were to sell it, I'd maybe see $2-3k back out of what's in it, so the next guy would be the financial beneficiary here, but he won't have the piece of mind knowing the truck wasn't offroaded and abused, that maintenance was kept up with, that the exhaust is all 304 SS, that locking header bolts were used to prevent exhaust leaks, that there are indeed 4.88 gears in it, etc. etc. So I like knowing exactly what's done to a vehicle, not inheriting someone else's frankenstein. I probably wouldn't buy my own truck if I saw it on a lot because it's so heavily modified and I don't know everything about it.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-28-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:33 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The Gen 1 Lightning was a NA 351. The way I see it, why mod a truck that's going to be a collector's item?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 AM
NEED HELP!!! Thinking on buying a 1994 lightning

ok so I want to buy a 94 lightning already supercharged (not sure wich supercharger it has) and I have many questions. Will it be faster than a 2nd gen? Is it worth buying? Will it have more power due to the bigger engine? Couldn't really find any info on the 94 other than stock specs. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Welcome. Gen 1 L was "quick" back in its hay day, now you'll find regular factory trucks off the show room that are just as "fast"

Quick Reply: Just won this auction on Ebay, 94 lightning