Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Lightning
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Lightning
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
2003 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2003 ford F150
Question engine stalling and low fuel pressure

It all started out with a misfire. No engine codes coming up ever. I looked under the hood and noticed a missing rubber EGR pressure sensor tube. I took it in and the Ford dealership said that the driver side cat was plugged and the EGR pressure sensor was shorted. ?? So, I had them replace the sensor and missing tube. They also told me it overboosted, which it did. I took it home and it was still misfiring so I replaced the mid pipes and cats with Bassani SS.

The truck ran fine for one run down the highway. Once I arrived at my destination, the truck started stalling. I limped it into the parking lot then had it towed home.

After troubleshooting I found that the fuel pressure was low when idling erratically, around 20-30 PSI and fluctuating all over. One thing that worked temporarily was using starting fluid into the throttle body to keep it at idle for a very short time.

So, now the truck starts, idles erratically, then stalls. The idle RPM goes up to 2000, then near 0, then back up a couple times before stalling. I can hold the throttle up and it will do it for a longer time, but eventually stalls.

I started replacing things. Changed fuel filter first, it needed it. Replaced fuel pressure regulator. Replaced fuel pump assembly.

I've checked many things and had many mechanics look at it, but everyone is befuddled. Most of the replacements were from suggestions.

What could it be?

current mods
cool air intake
single blade throttle body
electric fan
higher amp alternator
accel coils and granatelli coil boots
NGK IX iridium plugs
Bassani mid pipes and high flow cats
everything else replaced is OEM
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
2002 Ford Explorer
My Garage

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
The low fuel pressure makes me think fuel pump. Did you check the pressure before and after the fuel pump replacement? If so, was there any change? Are there any flexible lines that could have been pinched during the pump replacement? It is uncommon but not unheard of for the new pump to be faulty. But, I know it's not a fun part to just replace again on a guess.
Also, I don't mean to insult, but is there any way the fuel filter could have been installed backwards?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 AM
2001 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 200? FORD
Send a message via Yahoo to tarajerame
99% chance going to be the plastic Y in the tank cracked

-LOTS OF PARTS FOR SALE http://www.f150online.com/forums/par...-new-post.html
Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
2003 Ford F-150

checked pressure before and after, same symptoms. fuel filter is correct way. All lines were inspected and look perfect.

I did not look at the plastic Y, will have to drop tank and check that.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
2001 Ford F-150
My Garage

they are prone to crack or maybe you had a fuel line split inside the tank

what is the fuel pump resistor doing??

Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM
2003 Ford F-150

checked everything, all was good. now it's at the shop to get fixed by someone else.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 ford f150
i have almost the same problem, i took my lightning to work one morning and not even 1/4 mile from home it starts surging, once i stop the truck it stalls... get it home look through my snap on scaner.... no codes, i troubleshoot it and it says if the map sensor is below 153 hertz suspect maf or map, i replace the map and still starts and stalls, maf is reading properly, i cleaned the maf, just put twin walbro 255lph pumps in. now for me the cracked "y" makes sense. for u there are 2 relays next to your fuse box under the hood these change voltage for fuel pressue to be high at wot or low under normal driving. i would think to check this

i just seen the post is from '04 but its good to know some more details

Last edited by Bowtieshreader; 07-22-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: year
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM
2003 Ford F-150

good choice tarajerame, it was the fuel pump resistor.

i used good relays also, no change
Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Its Alive
Old 08-14-2010, 03:24 PM
2003 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHFerguson View Post
cool, same problem and it's fixed now.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
2001 Ford F-150

Question Engine stalling problem as well

I am having what appears to be the same issue. Drive for a while, when engine gets up to normal opp temp, starts to stall out. I have replaced the fuel pump twice with an aftermarket (Napa). Dealer said again today that it is still fuel pump. I read through the thread and say the part about the plastic Y. I am not sure what/where that is but would like to check it out. Any direction?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 AM
2001 Ford F-150
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakface8 View Post
I am having what appears to be the same issue. Drive for a while, when engine gets up to normal opp temp, starts to stall out. I have replaced the fuel pump twice with an aftermarket (Napa). Dealer said again today that it is still fuel pump. I read through the thread and say the part about the plastic Y. I am not sure what/where that is but would like to check it out. Any direction?

it's right there where the fuel pumps are (connects the two pumps to the single fuel line):

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM
2001 Ford F-150

Thanks I'll give that a try!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM