Lightning

Blower spacer

Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower spacer

just wondering what everyones thoughts on the reichard racing blower spacer where. is it worth the money? dyno results? iat?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
no one has any input?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
the spacer is supposed to lower your IAT2, but I've only heard of a few guys running them, but I don't know if they really work!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Former Vendor
I have had trucks here with it and the IAT2's are the same as a truck without it similar mods and tunes. I have not seen it make any difference.

JJ@WMS

Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by JJ@WMS
I have had trucks here with it and the IAT2's are the same as a truck without it similar mods and tunes. I have not seen it make any difference.

JJ@WMS
Yep, what he said. I've been lurking around here for quite a while, and there were quite a few posts about it in the past. The phenolic spacers didn't ever seem to lower much besides the amount of cash in your wallet.

just my $0.02

Old 03-08-2009, 12:15 PM
thanks guys i will save my money then.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
These things go back to '02 and there were a few who said they lowered IAT temps and that their plenums 'felt cooler to the touch'. So, I took the plunge and installed one on my '01 w/stock ported blower and it made no difference. I could still cook a ribeye on the blower. Well, it did make one difference..it made it a total PITA to reconnect the EGR tube because the blower was sitting higher.

Money well kept.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I believe most of your are confusing the phenolic upper plenum spacers that were sold to go beween the upper plenum and blower with the Reider blower spacer which goes under the blower and increases volume of the lower, boosted plenum. While many bought the upper plenum spacer, I not sure I recall anyone ever posting about running the lower blower spacer in an L. Know some of the blown Cobra and NA Mach I guys claim advantage with them.

"I could still cook a ribeye on the blower. Well, it did make one difference..it made it a total PITA to reconnect the EGR tube because the blower was sitting higher." That is why most did not see an advantage with the upper spacer, they reconnected the EGR. If you plug it, your upper inteke will run cooler.

Last edited by BigBobsL; 03-09-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBobsL
. . . "I could still cook a ribeye on the blower. Well, it did make one difference..it made it a total PITA to reconnect the EGR tube because the blower was sitting higher." That is why most did not see an advantage with the upper spacer, they reconnected the EGR. If you plug it, your upper inteke will run cooler.
Well, if disconnecting the EGR is required to show the "advantage," then it's the EGR removal, not the spacer, that is causing it.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Well, if disconnecting the EGR is required to show the "advantage," then it's the EGR removal, not the spacer, that is causing it.
Maybe so, but it takes both, a spacer is not going to keep the upper plenum (or header) cool as long as you are sending hot exhaust gases through it. If you do both, it will be a lot cooler at the track. It will still be warm (not HOT) on the road due to radiator air.

Last edited by BigBobsL; 03-15-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by BigBobsL
Maybe so, but it takes both, a spacer is not going to keep the upper plenum (or header) cool as long as you are sending hot exhaust gases through it. If you do both, it will be a lot cooler at the track. It will still be warm (not HOT) on the road due to radiator air.
what?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Haybale
what?

Maybe I did not make myself clear, but you can not expect a spacer to keep the upper plenum cool if you continue to pump HOT EXHAUST gas to and into the attached cast iron EGR valve and then into the intake itself. That is why the upper plenum gets hot enough to fry meat including your hand! Trey toouching your EGR vlve sometime, it is a lot hotter than the blower and the sourch of most of the upper plenum heat. The other sources are heat or radiated heat from the radiator, exhaust manifolds and engine in general. If you use the spacer, you shut off heat only from the smallest contributor, the blower. If you want the upper plenum to run cooler, you need to address the biggest sources of heat and the EGR is by FAR #1. A true cold air intake, one where ALL air comes from outside he engine compartment is next, an electric fan with an on/off switch is very good for track and consider removing inner fender panels. All will help low IAT and improve HP. My IAT was generally within 10F-20F of ambient depending upon speed and throttle position since I fed all engine air in from outside the engine compartment. This one mod even made presence of EGR not much of an issue when cruising.

Last edited by BigBobsL; 03-19-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I run a JLP lower spacer on my truck. I have also run a phenolic spacer on the upper plenum before going to a sheetmetal plenum. Since I use a small MP blower I try to keep all restrictions in the inlet tract to a minimum.
My truck runs very strong for the parts used. I have no real proof that the spacer works, but my numbers indicate it is helping. My IAT2s are high due to the over 4X ratio that I employ. That spacer helps keep detonation at bay. It also greatly aids the transition into the heads by spacing the intercooler off the floor.

Jim

Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Agree, the lower blower spacer is not so much about heat as it is increasing plenum volume under the blower and as you mentioned will help air make the turn coming out of innercooler core.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blower spacer