Lightning

Intercooler cleaning and plug check

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler cleaning and plug check

After 45K miles since the swap and after hearing what I think was detontion during a recent datalogging session I decided it was a good Idea to check the intercooler and pull the Denso IT22's (since I've heard mixed reviews from them. I have a cheap Razor's edge oil seperator, have since day one. Well obviously it doesn't work.. haha

I've also noticed flaking from the rotors. Should I remove them from the blower and remove the coating left? What should I use? Any pointers?

I've used carb cleaner on my L to clean the intercooler in the past but is there something that works better? I used oven cleaner in the C&L worked much better than the carb cleaner but I'm worried it's to harsh for the intercooler. And is it work it to do the PCV delete? Can I do that without a retune if my tune is rich enough?

Last edited by brahmus; 09-24-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Next I pulled the plugs, gap seems to be fairly close. I'm no expert at reading plugs so tell me what you see. They are #1 starting on the left going right. I do notice 3 and 4 have a green tint to them. What does this mean?

So my plans are to check the gaps on the Denso's are reinstall. Clean intercooler with ??? clean blower (removing coating??) PCV delete?? and do some datalogging.

Comments concerns?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Plugs 3 4 and 8 seem to be not burning the same as the rest.

Greenish tinge? Don't know what would cause that unless maybe burning coolant. Are you losing any fluid out of the Intercooler resorvoir?

As for cleaning the intercooler and supercharger, good old carb cleaner. You'll be amazed at how much comes out.

Don't know about the rotor flaking thing so I'll let somebody else comment on that.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Wonder why they would burn differently? I'm not loosing any coolant. In over 45K I don't think I've had to add ANY coolant to the system.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Brake cleaner here. Seemed to remove the grime better than the carb cleaner for me.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM
I would be carefull using Oven Cleaner.

Many of the ones sold here in the UK will attack Aluminium and are
very aggressive on such exposed metal.
They are intended to remove baked on cooking residue which has been subject to much higher tempratures than the intake of your blown motor.

I have used a good quality commercial solvent / soluable Degreaser such as Hyper Clean, this will not attack bearing seals, gasket faces and machined surfaces.

Will wash off with water or power hose or just wipe off and dry out using air line without risk of damage.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I agree, and hence why I was leary, it just works so darn well.. haha I'll just take it slow and use some carb cleaner, better safe than sorry.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Well the carb cleaner seem to work best on the intercooler while the brake cleaner worked better on the plenum. Go figure.

Got the rotor pack out the blower and started stripping. Using paint remover works well. But how close should I get to the plate, I don't want any to get between the rotors and that plate or down into the seals. Is it critical to get every speck off?

I have used the GM supercharger oil before, what are the other options?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
# 3,4 and 8 look like they've been running lean(white porcelain). Dirty fuel injectors?

Dan

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Possible but how common is that? I change my fuel filter often and only run 93 from the newest gas stations. The last few tunes I've been running for the last 4 months or so have been way rich. I've been dialing in this tune via email.

Quick Reply: Intercooler cleaning and plug check