Lightning

Need help! only passenger bank fires

Old 04-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help! only passenger bank fires

Guys i am stumped! After a dyno session I picked up a problem where only the passenger side(1-4) cylinders fire. I have fuel on all cylinders and have checked the cops by swapping them to firing cylinders where they worked fine. What I am wondering is how the cops are wired, in other words is there a way for a harness or sensor to shut down that whole bank.

I guess I should be happy it made 525rwhp then after when adjusting the trans settings it occured. A loud pop and a miss, I popped the #8 plug. I replaced it and have the problem described above. The only diff. between before and after dynoing was methanol inj. , jlp sheetmetal plenum, and autolite ar103& ar94 plugs(tried 94's after to see if they made any difference). The tune was pig rich. Are the autolite plugs any diff. than tr6 as far as construction?

Thanks for any responses ahead of time.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Sounds like your methenol injection. I had similar problem on dyno, ignition wasnt able to fire the methenol and truck started popping. I was told to gap plugs down to .025-.028.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
It seems to do this without the methanol on. Plus the passenger bank still fires with the same setup. I also am trying ar94 plugs which are gapped at .028. The meth did it's job though richening the a/f down to 10 at 3.5k rpm where it then creeped up to 11.3a/f at 5.2k rpm

Old 04-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Are you sure you don't have another bad plug? If not then it is likely a bad coil. Moving the coil only moves the problem. If a cylinder does not fire, the raw gas tells the O2 sensor you are too rich and the computer then leans out all the cylinders so they misfire.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 AM
It's definitely not another plug, they all have been changed and checked numerous times. The coils seem to be good though, I can take a cylinder that is firing and all 8 coils will fire when I put them on that cylinder.

What makes it even worse is with a solus scanner on it everything(everything!) looks in line. It shows no missfires which I def. have, all voltages (maf, o2's,tps, fuel trims) seem to be good. My question is do all scanners read correctly for a vehicle that has the computer reflashed? I am leaning towards a bad computer.

thanks for the help

Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Well I finally am getting somewhere! I pulled the valve cover, and found something amiss! The very last rocker was laying on top of the drivers side head. The thin side of the camlobe also has some scarring on it. I don't know how this happened exactly and will hopefully find out more when I pull the head. I hope that the valve is okay but fear the worst!

I'm thinkin the dealer is going to want the same price as an aftermarket cam so might as well go big! Anyone running aftermarket cams with stock heads and if so which ones?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help! only passenger bank fires