Lightning

Idler Pulley Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idler Pulley Problems??

I have the squeal comming from my engine as of late. I think that it is the one of the idler pulleys so I am going to replace the two on the supercharger. My question is what size should I get. I have a 4# pully on there and saw that there are 90mm and 100mm available. Which ones should I get and why?

Also since I got the truck I added the Borla Cat back and the AEM intake. I have a JDM JD39 Superchip. Should I send it in to get reburned for the new mods or is the difference insubstancial.

Thanks,
Jon

2001 Red L
4# Pulley
AEM Brute Force Intake
Borla Cat Back
Superchips JD39

Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
With your set-up I would use the 92mm pullies that BilletFlow sells. They are extreemly good quality, come in different colors and you can use the same drive belt you are using now. The 100mm pullies are used only when you go to a smaller blower pully and change your idler bracket.

P.S. With the addition of an air filter kit and catback exhaust you shouldn't need to change your tune.

Last edited by rheagrimm; 03-12-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by rheagrimm
With your set-up I would use the 92mm pullies that BilletFlow sells. They are extreemly good quality, come in different colors and you can use the same drive belt you are using now. The 100mm pullies are used only when you go to a smaller blower pully and change your idler bracket.

P.S. With the addition of an air filter kit and catback exhaust you shouldn't need to change your tune.
thanks man.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I used 100mm Reichard Racing idlers with no aftermarket tensioners forever. The bigger the idlers the mor belt wrap around the supercharger pulley. Plus they are pretty.
http://www.reichardracing.com/pulleys.php

Old 03-13-2006, 03:25 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2010

Get the big ones ! I'ts always good with better grip on the upper pulley !

Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM
There are 2 idler pullies and 1 tension pulley on the main belt and the s/c belt, 6 in all. I was starting to get a LOT of noise, so after reading a thread on lubing the existing bearings, I took them all apart. The s/c tension pulley bearing was DRY, the two main belt idlers were getting there, and the other 3 were ok. I cleaned and lubed them all and put it back together. I was still getting a fairly loud whining noise, so I used a long screwdriver, placing the tip on each retainer bolt and the handle against my ear. It was the s/c tension pulley bearing. After replacing the pulley ($30 for just the pulley through partsamerica.com, ($78 for the whole tensioner through the dealer), everything is fine.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Idler Pully Squealing

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but have been very interested since purchasing my 02 Lightning (pics to come). I had this same problem with these pulleys squealing and have gone through several sets of pulleys and trips to the dealer before I found out the really problem. The idler pully bracket posts which the pulleys mount on where not striaght. One of them was at a slight angle. This caused the belts to pull against the pulleys and eventually dry out and squeal. I found this out by putting a striaght edge against one pulley and then slide it over to the next one and it was hitting it. If both were straight it should line up evenly. You can also see this right away if you look straight down over the belt. On one pully the belt will ride towards the front and the other it will be towards the back. Hope this helps, especially before you go and buy a hole bunch of new pulleys! This bracket was also covered in the warrantee!

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley Problems??