Lightning

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

ANyone tried a carbon fiber driveshaft? or Aluminium?

Any noticable benifits? Improved ETs? Improved 0-60?

Thanks,
KHendrix2374

Old 11-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
ANyone tried a carbon fiber driveshaft? or Aluminium?

Any noticable benifits? Improved ETs? Improved 0-60?

Thanks,
KHendrix2374
Anybody with a 01' and up as a *free* Aluminium drive shaft, because the "shaft" you paid for done made ya' bowlegged. As for carbon fibre, well, twist a toilet paper tube, examine the results, and apply that outcome to a application with 450+ ft/lbs of torque with an organic composite driveshaft.

Steel will give the best longetivity, It was stock with 99-00, however in drag applications most of the racers here will report mixed results with the aluminum shafts. Some have shattered, some outlast a few u-joint replacements. I advise to stay far, far away from carbon fiber, driveshafts of a high torque engine are not what it was designed for. Now, a titanium shaft, that's where it's at!

Old 11-28-2005, 05:36 AM
I've had a CF shaft in my truck for over 4 years now and probably 20K miles and I think its great. Its the most rigid non-twist driveshaft you can buy.
They are not just made for race cars....they have put them in really large trucks to solve drive line problems.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Bad as L
I've had a CF shaft in my truck for over 4 years now and probably 20K miles and I think its great. Its the most rigid non-twist driveshaft you can buy.
They are not just made for race cars....they have put them in really large trucks to solve drive line problems.
As he said; they are very strong and very light. They will transfer the power your making to the wheels better than steel or aluminum. Just a little expensive, and not as durable if impacted.

Dale; who made the CF one you have?

Old 11-28-2005, 09:02 AM
CF shafts do not twist they splinter when in a stress like that then shatter.That is the advantage to them!What do you think would happen if an alium shaft twisted after the driveshaft loop?What is rite next to the driveshaft?and aluim will spark!The only real problem with CF shafts it one the price about 800 min for a so so shaft and that they don't like any kind of surface imperfection,ie. rock chips dings etc. and believe it or not they do make hp.But only indirectly in that they cut down on rotating mass.Stan

Old 11-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Around 650

Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 PM
it's not something you're going to notice "seat of the pants". you might see a very minimal ET gain, probably a few hundredths but I highly doubt you'd see a tenth. khendrix2374, I'm not sure if a lightning's aluminum shaft will mate up to your 04 F150 ?? there are other mods that will get you more power dollar for dollar than an alum or cf shaft. here is a comparison of steel vs alum shaft in a WS6 f-body (ram air firebird): http://www.ws6.com/mod-1.htm i imagine results on our trucks would be similar.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Great stuff! I would take money and spend it on a nice poliched charger and plenam.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:10 PM
I was just thinking of ways to put the power down to the ground.

I've been tossing around the idea of a new torque converter and possibly a new ;ighter driveshaft. Ive already put 4.10's in my truck.

Not really looking for more power, just a more sound and secure driveline.

Thanks guys for the replies!

Old 11-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Casey02L
As he said; they are very strong and very light. They will transfer the power your making to the wheels better than steel or aluminum. Just a little expensive, and not as durable if impacted.

Dale; who made the CF one you have?
Man I have to think about that one.....I got it thru a group purchase that was started on this board....The CF tube says ACPT on it but I think it was bought from Inland Empire Driveline in Ontario California.....don't quote me on that.

One more thing I wanted to say is that you wont find to many automotive applications for Titanium drive line parts. It will show up in sprint cars and such but usually not a drag car. Titanium makes a great spring and it doesn't work well in axles and drive lines.
Dale

Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I have the same one as Dale above since 2000, used with 600 hp no problems.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
i remember that BA Bolt I think was the one who started it.I only know of one shaft that failed and don't know the instance in which it did fail.I know the HD guys were trying to get a group buy going on them to replace their 2 piece shafts but don't know if they made it or not.Stan

Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 AM
I've had A PST carbon fiber d/s on my 02 HD for almost 2 years now with no problems I picked up 17hp and 25tq on the swap + droped the weight of the shaft to 13lbs. I started the GB on the nhtoc I thought the CF shaft was well worth the money. I don't think L owners will notice a rea significant gain over the AL shaft. I merely did it b/c the two piece steel shaft on my truck was robbing power and efficency. I know mark at LFP is stocking PST shafts. I got both marks together (pst and LFP)

Old 09-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by onebadf150
I've had A PST carbon fiber d/s on my 02 HD for almost 2 years now with no problems I picked up 17hp and 25tq on the swap + droped the weight of the shaft to 13lbs. I started the GB on the nhtoc I thought the CF shaft was well worth the money. I don't think L owners will notice a rea significant gain over the AL shaft. I merely did it b/c the two piece steel shaft on my truck was robbing power and efficency. I know mark at LFP is stocking PST shafts. I got both marks together (pst and LFP)
Where did you buy your carbon fiber-drive shaft ?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Driveshaft