Lightning

Top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-1999, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Top speed?

Well I'm not one to condone running "stupid" speeds on the street, but when you find a flat country road with no cross streets and flat fields for unlimited view, I couldn't resist. I was out on my bike (91 Suzuki GSX 1100G) just enjoying the scenery when I realized what a perfect spot to see "What she'll do". I tucked down and nailed it to an indicated 150 and slowly pulled out. What an experience. I've had the bike for 8 years and have resisted such stupidity. Well after that, you know I couldn't let the bolt sit at home and not let it stretch it's legs. I returned with the Lightning and did the same. I hit an indicated 140 (might have gone more if I kept my foot into it) and again slowly pulled out of the throttle. It took some time after 135. She sure did handle good at that speed. I had an indicated 9 psi the whole way. I neglected to check the tack since my eyes were stuck to the road. Anyway, if you all feel the urge, make sure you do it safely and find an area that will only expose yourself to the danger of running these beasts at full stride.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Built July 26, 1999
Build # 2883 of 4000

Old 11-08-1999, 11:33 AM
I too have pegged the needle and that was with the tailgate up and no bed cover. I think these trucks are capable of greater than the posted 140, but by how much I dont know.

Old 11-08-1999, 04:57 PM
Dont think that you were actually doing 140 unless your SVT is equipped with a aftermarket chip. Considering that these vehicles have a fuel cutoff after a certain mph. I have had the chance to open my baby up on the N.J. Turnpike I had past the 140 mark, I figure I was doing about 148.This of course I would not recommend

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Superchips
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date 13.52@102.4
N.O.S. (on order)

Old 11-08-1999, 05:17 PM
Cool

I read that they dont have a fuel/speed cut outs just a rev-limit cut out. Scott

------------------
RED 99 LIGHTNING
CAT BACK FLOWMASTER MUFFLER SYSTEM

[This message has been edited by SCOTTODOG (edited 11-08-1999).]

Old 11-08-1999, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Spiro, Sal here. The new Lightnings do not have a speed limiter on them. The 140mph top speed is drag-limited. The 93-95 Lightnings have a 110mph cutoff, because of an issue with tranny tailshaft harmonics over prolonged high speeds over 120mph. But with the speed limiter shut off, I've easily done well over 130 in my 95, when it was stock

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 11-08-1999, 05:29 PM
Hey Sal, Thanks for the correction ,my mistake, sorry shonut

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Superchips
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date 13.52@102.4
N.O.S. (on order)

Empty Pockets Drag Race Team NJ-DE

Old 11-08-1999, 05:38 PM
Exclamation

In a moment of sheer insanity, I cranked the Black Beast up to an estimated 155 mph. It pulled like crazy to 135, then started to wind out, so it took a while to get to the 155 mark. A new personal best for top speed, and one that will stand for a long time. I'm too old to have a self-induced heart attack!

P.S. I have witnesses, my son and the DPS trooper who was clocking me from about a half mile back. Fortunaly, he's a friend of mine and there wasn't a swingin' soul anywhere in sight, so he cut me some slack, but did tell me not to let him catch me doing that on "his" road again. I beleive I'll take that advice......

P.P.S. The bottle was empty, no juice on this run.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood - Delivered and at the body shop; Cal-Tracs traction bars

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 11-08-1999).]

Old 11-08-1999, 06:19 PM
Really Old "Member"
Thumbs up

Chukker:
You know we are all a little bit insane!
I have not had mine clocked by the Smokey's, but admit to opening it up 3-4 times on my Texas trip when there was no out there but me and the Maker.
Regarding the insane thing, during my tenures with Volvo and Saab, I participated in ever so many trials, tests and speed runs I can't count them. Whenever we considered going over about 130, we made all kinds of checks, preparations etc. Checked all fluids/tire pressure/wheel nuts and I don't know what all.
We Lightning owners, and many other vehicle owners I suspect, just hit the loud pedal and cruise.
To do the speeds we can do in what started life as a utility oriented truck is really a unique form of insanity.
It's also addictive.
Bill

Old 12-07-1999, 06:16 PM
130+ until the pucker factor took over when the mini van came across 3 lanes with no signal. She must have figured she was alone on the Illinois Tollway at 2:30 am.
Red '99
#2060-6/7/99

Old 12-08-1999, 10:45 AM
Hey Wyldman: No offense, but I worked law enforcement for many years prior to my retirement and can't honestly say I ever operated a patrol vehicle at speeds above 155 miles per hour. Unless your trooper friend has radar, bumper clocking at 155 miles per hour would be a bit difficult, especially from a 1/2 mile back. What type of vehicle is he driving? I supervised a team of traffic enforcement officers for years including many pursuits involving overhead partners (helicopters) and still can't remember a single incident where speeds were documented above 150 miles per hour. I would also caution anyone operating their vehicles at that speed of the legal ramifications of such behaviour. Here in California it would mean an automatic trip to jail and your vehicle stored by a tow truck operator who will enjoy "test driving" your pride and joy while you are struggling to make bail. With that said, before I sold my Lightning, I pegged the speedo myself,,,, twice...............................

Old 12-08-1999, 05:44 PM
Smile

Just returned from 4500 mile trip. While in Montana I ran it up to 130 which was only 4000 rpm, so there is more !! (stock)

------------------
99 Lightning Black Dk. Gray Bedrock spray in liner,
CDChanger, Class III Hitch,
PSP Filter,
ARE Cap,

Old 12-09-1999, 12:04 AM
mswaim,

The trooper involved is a friend of mine and he was using his radar gun. He drives a Camaro pursuit vehicle and was not bumper clocking me in it. It is a pretty warm car, but I don't think he would even try to stay w/me at that kind of speed. This, as you know is where Motorola steps in.

This was a 1 time deal, not a common practice for me, but as you can attest, the temptation to unwind the Beast is hard to overcome sometimes.

If it had been any other trooper, I would still be in jail (or more likely, under the jail). There was only me and him out on this part of the road at the time, and we were trying to excercise some caution, not wanting to endanger anyone else.

This does not excuse the behaviour and if his superiors ever found out about it, he would be out of a job in a hurry. He was as interested to know what the L is capable of as I was and he had my son in his car with him, as I would not attempt this with him in the vehicle.

This was not a completely spontaneous display of stupidity, as we had decided ahead of time to do a little informal "research" for the state when I saw him having his breakfast on the side of the road (I know his beat and his habits, and knew where to find him). Unfortunately, I don't have access to a high speed track to test on and this was the next best thing we could come up with.

This was a semi-controlled environment and was outragously foolhardy on both of our parts, and I do not suggest or condone anyone else attempting this. Not even Neal the HP freak.

Just me living up to my unfortunate nickname....

The Wyldman

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-09-1999, 12:19 AM
Hey Wyldman, I know the overwhelming temptation to push the envelope, believe me. Just wanted to poke some fun, make a point about the consequences of speeding, and confess to my crimes of leadfooting my Lightning.....By the way, my Cobra was even faster, but I won't even go into how I determined that, but I also have "friends on the force" who don't mind playing on an open road. By the way, I'm not kidding about the tow drivers sometimes "test driving" stored vehicles. Now I'm not slamming all tow operators, but in some instances, employees of such companies have on occasions taken stored cars for a spin. In one instance, the vehicle was totalled. Sure, the insurance carrier paid off and the employee was fired, but the owner was out their pride and joy. be careful, and if possible, always request a tow company you trust, rather than allowing the officer to assign a rotational tow company. In most jurisdictions, this is allowed, unless of course you **** off the officer..........or his brother owns the tow company............

------------------
Mark Swaim
1999 Lightning (sold)
1997 Cobra (deceased)
1993 Cadillac Allante

[This message has been edited by mswaim (edited 12-08-1999).]

Quick Reply: Top speed?