Lightning

Question about knock, not your normal question

Old 04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about knock, not your normal question

I just read an old thread over at NLOC, and a guy on there said that you can have a "rich" knock. It is this possible?

Discuss.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Re: Question about knock, not your normal question

Originally posted by 03WHITELIGHTNIN
I just read an old thread over at NLOC, and a guy on there said that you can have a "rich" knock. It is this possible?

Discuss.
Yes!! It's when Ed McMahon is knocking on your door telling you that you've won a million.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Or when you dump so much fuel in the crankcase, the crank hits it. Which will also blow the bearings.
And you will have a definte knock.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Re: Re: Question about knock, not your normal question

Originally posted by MHMCGILL
Yes!! It's when Ed McMahon is knocking on your door telling you that you've won a million.
Good one.

Let me try this again. Can you have too much fuel, and too little timing, cause a rich knock? If so what would the numbers roughly be?

Old 04-13-2005, 03:27 PM
When running rich, the evaporative effect of excess fuel tends to absorb combustion chamber heat, which will thus lead to lower combustion temperatures and help reduce detonation/pre-ignition/knocking........

Retardation, is most likely the reason for the debate over at NLOC.

I can think of no thermodynamic reason that a 5.4L with A/F less than stoich AFR , RICH would knock...(with reasonable amount of ignition timing and intake temps).

I'll go read the debate.

whats the thread title ?

Last edited by RED 92; 04-13-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by RED 92
When running rich, the evaporative effect of excess fuel tends to absorb combustion chamber heat, which will thus lead to lower combustion temperatures and help reduce detonation/pre-ignition/knocking........

Retardation, is most likely the reason for the debate over at NLOC.

I can think of no thermodynamic reason that a 5.4L with A/F less than stoich AFR , RICH would knock...(with reasonable amount of ignition timing and intake temps).

I'll go read the debate.

whats the thread title ?
I was thinking the same thing. This is not a debate, just an old thread that I pulled up, and was just wondering if anybody else had any input. The reason I went a found this thread, is because the thread starter is a friend, who got a custom tune from a supporting vendor, the vendor said it was very rich, with only 15-16 degrees of timing (he checked the timing, but didn’t have access to a wideband). His truck detonated, so he switched back to the predator pulley tune, and has not detonated since. The reason I am asking this is I run a 4lb lower, and I have a winter tune with 16 degrees of timing locked with an 11.0-11.2 a/f ratio, and my truck detonates in 3rd gear. I notice it when it is warm outside, and the truck is heat soaked. So I think I am going to try my summer tune and see what the deal is. Never had a problem with my summer tune, just the winter tune, which I received a couple of months ago. Also, I run Denso's IT22's, and the fuel filter was changed about 2500 miles ago. I will link you to the thread if you want me to. click here

Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 PM
03WHITELIGHTNIN

The reason I am asking this is I run a 4lb lower, and I have a winter tune with 16 degrees of timing locked with an 11.0-11.2 a/f ratio, and my truck detonates in 3rd gear.

Have the tuner check that tune, if there are no other factors involved the timing and A/F (if the curve is correct) are not the reasons for your detonation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about knock, not your normal question