Lightning

Is battery covered under warranty?

Old 10-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is battery covered under warranty?

Had to jump-start the truck and I notice the indicator on the battery is red instead of green. Doesn't seem to hold a charge for very long. The truck is 1.5 years old, with 12,XXX miles. Is the battery covered under the factory bumper-to-bumper 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (or does it have its own independent warranty period, 3 years, etc.)?

I flipped through my warranty documentation and there was no mention of batteries being covered or not covered (sure is a lot in there about tires though), but I want to be informed before I ask the service advisor and accept his word that it's not covered. I would think a battery shouldn't fail within the 3-year warranty period, and if it does, something is wrong with it and it should be replaced.

Or do batteries fall into the same category as brake pads, wiper blades, etc?

Old 10-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be a 1 year free replacement, then pro-rated after that.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Dont forget that the battery is NOT maintenance free - It looks like it but its NOT

Doug

Old 10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
If you're going to replace the battery I would recomend the Optima maintainance free gel battery, I have the red top and should last at least 5 years or more, it's a little expensive about $119 but worth it.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:14 AM
OK, I am getting conflicting answers so I may call the 800 number in the warranty guide and verify myself because when I called the dealership service advisor, they said they never heard of batteries being replaced under warranty but he was going to verify and let me know.

Hmm, Ford's website says:

Factory or Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty

A factory warranty comes with all new vehicles. For instance, some factory warranties expire after three years or 36,000 miles. When the vehicle is sold, some factory warranties, if they are not already expired, can be transferred to a new owner.

During the coverage period, an authorized dealer will repair, replace, or adjust all parts on your vehicle (except tires) that are defective in factory-supplied materials of workmanship.

A factory warranty requires that the manufacturer pay for the cost of certain repairs. Exceptions can include the following:

• Batteries (these are usually covered by their own warranties)

If I can't get Ford to cover the battery, then I'll probably try the Optima.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Redlightn 02
If you're going to replace the battery I would recomend the Optima maintainance free gel battery, I have the red top and should last at least 5 years or more, it's a little expensive about $119 but worth it.
Or for $ 60 bucks you can get a good battery made by the leading Battery Manufacturer with a 9 year warranty.... ( Johnson Controls same company that makes the Optima....)

Puts on flame suit ..... At Walmart

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 10-25-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Do you guys suggest sticking with the same battery capacity/rating as factory (I think it's 650?)? Or a higher rated battery? I have some stereo goodies, but the only time I might be listening to it with the truck off is if I am detailing the truck. I'm not using a cap either.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:42 AM
When my factory battery died (11 months old) I replaced with an Optima red top

Old 10-25-2004, 01:04 PM
My battery went bad a couple of weeks ago, only a year old(well I had the truck for a year, it sat at the dealer for 6 months before I bought it). I forgot what brand I got but it had a rating of 880.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
OK, update for the archives. Ford dealership took care of me and replaced battery under warranty without hesitating. If this one goes kaput, I'll try the Optima.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 PM
well, it looks like you got the issue resolved, but I just saw the post and was going to say, that Yes, the dealership will indeed charge, test, and replace the battery under warranty at no charge if it is bad.

no prorate under 3/36.

FWIW, my next door neighbor came over last weekend saying his 2002 Corvette with about 12,000 miles wouldn't start.

battery was completely dead.

he wanted to know where to buy a battery, I suggested he take it to the dealership that it should be covered.

I believe his was replaced completely free of charge as well (no pro-rate charges).

BTW, the green dot/red dot thing is fairly useless for determining a battery's condition.

we get bad batteries with green dots and good batteries with red dots all the time.

just my .02 glad you got it taken care of with no problems.

later,
chris

Old 10-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the detailed info, someone else will hopefully benefit from this in the archives. And now I know not to necessarily believe the red/green dot too.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
Dont forget that the battery is NOT maintenance free - It looks like it but its NOT

Doug
What maintenance work needs to be done on a battery? Sorry for the stupid q?

Old 10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
tsc
Make sure the water level is up and there is no corosion/crud on the terminals. Just pop the tops off the battery (Wear crappy clothes and safety glasses-Trust me on that one) and fill with distilled water. For cleaning the terminals, use a baking soda and water mixture and pour onto terminals. Rinse with remaining distilled water (or tap water). If the teminals are really bad, use a wire brush (or terminal cleaning brush). When it's dried, goop the terminals with some grease to protect it from crudding up again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is battery covered under warranty?