Lightning

Cervini hood...turned out 2 be a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cervini hood...turned out 2 be a mistake

As some of you know, I've been posting about the 3 inch cervini cowl hood I bought and it has been on for a few weeks. First thing I didn't like about it was that it was heavy. Now that it is painted, I realize that Cervivi hoods aren't all they're cracked up to be. Now yes I will admit, the paint guy I used turned out to be real *****ty and his work was FAR LESS than what it usually is.........loads of orange peel and swirls everywhere with patches of dullness and drips along with fisheyes too. Not at all like his usual work but even so, the finish is so wavy and the fit isn't that great at all. It may have a great fit compared to other glass hoods but compared to a stock hood, the fit is not great. This is one of those add ons where ya wish ya would have known about the turnout then it could have been avoided. The hood comes off tomorrow for the SECOND attempt by the bodyshop to get it right. They've already tried buffing and polishing again but it didn't do anything. So between the $440 for the hood, $90 for the shipping, and $450 for the paint work that sucks, I am completely upset. So if they bodyshop doesn't agree to repaint it, I'll either sell the damn thing or pay another shop to do it over. DAMN!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2004, 01:41 AM
Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with that hood. By the way, is'nt 450 to paint the hood a little too much??

Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 AM
That must be a different company than I delt with. I have the Ram hood and the fit was as good, or better than the OEM. There were no problems with the fiber glass, and I am totally satisfied. I too paid about $500 for the paint job, but that included the entire front clip. After seeing the quality of the paint job that my shop did, I seriously considered having the whole truck done, it was that much better than the factory paint job. The Cervini hoods are heavier than a stock steel hood, but that is the down side of using fiberglass. Talk to Cervini about your problems, at least let them know you are unhappy! LOL

Old 08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
If I were to compair the quality of the cervini hood to others I would say they are among the best aftermarket hoods out there. However allmost all if not all aftermarket hoods require them to be block sanded before they are painted So If your body shop did not prep the hood good enough before painting, it will never look right.

So looks like it wil have to have all the paint stripped off and then be properlly block sanded before it is painted again.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Neal W
T The Cervini hoods are heavier than a stock steel hood, but that is the down side of using fiberglass. Talk to Cervini about your problems, at least let them know you are unhappy! LOL
FYI, the stock hood is 100% aluminum, it's the lightest hood you can find for our trucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope everything turns out ok for you soon.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:00 AM
like Don said it sounds like lack of prep and that could be why the paint looks so shttty. did you let the hood cure before you painted it? or did you take it right to the paint shop?

Old 08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
For $450, they should've done the job right. Make them repeat it until you're completely satisfied. Believe me, that is about the going rate for painting a hood (both sides).

Old 08-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Redlightn 02
FYI, the stock hood is 100% aluminum, it's the lightest hood you can find for our trucks.
Actually the Cervini pin-on hood is lighter than stock. Also you get to remove the heavy a** hinges & latch bracket.

rdy2rac with

Old 08-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by RDY2RAC
Actually the Cervini pin-on hood is lighter than stock. Also you get to remove the heavy a** hinges & latch bracket.

rdy2rac with
I'm not sure if they are street legal and might be a little inconvenient for street use but great for the track.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Redlightn 02
FYI, the stock hood is 100% aluminum, it's the lightest hood you can find for our trucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope everything turns out ok for you soon.
Ditto on that stock aluminum. Its hard to beat.

I would love to find a bolt on scoop that looked decent.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I bought a CERVINI's 3" cowl hood for my F-150 about a month ago. The fit was absolutely PERFECT. Better than my factory hood. I paid $770(CAN) for mine, which is pretty cheap for in CANADA. I have yet to paint mine due to the while gelcoat on the hood almost perfectly matches my oxford white truck. Got a local hot rod painter that prepping and painting it for $200(CAN) cash. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I thought $450 was a little outrageous to paint the hood but I figured that it would be worth it as long as it came out like I thought it would. And yes I did let it cure for about a day before bringin it to the body shop. Today I put the stock hood back on and the truck lost that BADASS look it had before. Honestly, I don't know if I would even want the same shop to touch the hood again. It would be insane to pay someone else to do it over which is why I am stuck on what to do. I may just sell it and keep the stock one on. I just couldn't believe how light it was and it lined up pretty good so I may sell the hood and mark this one down as a loss. Thanks guys for your replies.

Quick Reply: Cervini hood...turned out 2 be a mistake